Stolen iPad

hollidizzle

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
My baby (3rd Gen iPad) was stolen this weekend. I have made a report with the police, and using Find my Iphone I have the location the iPad was last used (Sunday). I locked it remotely and sent multiple messages to the iPad telling whoever it is to return it..

Anyway, my question is this: I have reported it as stolen and the IMEI/Serial Number has been entered into the stolen property data base. If whoever ends up with it IS able to restore it back to factory, if they activate it with an iTunes account, does it also show up stolen in iTunes? Does Apple recieve stolen properties information reported by law inforcement?

Lockywood

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I would love to know the answer to that question. My house was broken into last Friday and the only thing they took was my iPad 3. Verizon was not very helpful. I cannot believe that they don't not have a team of about 500 people only dedicated to finding stolen iPads/iPhones. It seems so simple. Track the Serial #, the next time it is used. The lady on the phone acted like I was the only person ever to have an iPad stolen.

"Find my iPhone/iPad" is clearly not for theft b/c all you have to do is shut it off. I am so mad that Apple will not add "passcode to shutdown" function.

Lockywood

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Btw, I can't decide whether or not to buy another one or wait for the new dock connector. I just posted a new thread to see if anyone had any ideas.

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Why would they have a team searching for stolen iPads? I'm sure that they'd rather just sell you another one. There's NO way that they'd want to get into the business of law enforcement. The most that they'd do is block the iPad from using their system, and I don't even know if they even do that for iPads.

For that matter, if it was stolen during a break in, you should have had insurance...

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
You can lock it but a norm restore you can not do if it is locked ..
But if you use dfu or recovery mode it don't matter it can be wiped and basically brand new to that person
If its a 4g model they just ditch the sim if it has a esn Verizon can stop it from the 4g being activated again just like a phone but it still will work fine on wifi

No iTunes does not detect if it's stolen and once restored iTunes treats it as there's

A password to shut down would be cool but a hard reset home a power would bypass that

And obviously once restored you can't track it any more

I wish find my iPhone app used serial numbers that were activated with apple so no matter what it could be tracked even if restored

I hope they are not smart and you are able to track it

berry_addict

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
In Canada, some people are fighting to create a national register on stolen devices ( IPad iPhones and all others ). But for some reason, the industry is saying that it is hard and very complex to create !!!??? Seriously ? How so ?

I guess that it's like stolen cars, it keeps the industry running, you buy anther one, the insurance goes up and so on.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro