Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    905 Global Posts

Default Thinking of getting an iPad.

I wan not sure that the new iPad is worth the upgrade. What do you guys think?
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    441 Global Posts

If you have the iPad 2 then don't upgrade but if you don't have an iPad or have the iPad 1 it's time to get the iPad 3 I got mine 3 weeks ago and I'm I'm so glad I did now I just have to get one for my wife lol
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

Default iPad Decision

One thing to consider with the purchase of your next iPad is that only the models that support a cellular connection also include GPS functionality. While this might not be a major consideration with the current operating system, given that the next, OS 6, will include Apple's version of maps and built-in turn-by-turn directions it might be worth it. Plus with the WiFi+Cellular model you'll always have the option to sign up for just a short term (one month) data access contract if you need it while traveling.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    905 Global Posts

I currently don't own an iPad, I do have an iPhone 4S and I won't need GPS functionality.
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by lornaevo View Post
    I currently don't own an iPad, I do have an iPhone 4S and I won't need GPS functionality.
    The first thought that came to mind when you read this is... "you say that now" Later you might wish that it had a GPS. Models that support a cellular connection also don't limit you to WiFi so you can use it anywhere that you have a connection.

As for it being worth it, depends what your going to use it for. I don't think I've talk to or read any posts from someone that has one that doesn't appreciate it.
    iMore Pro

They are excellent. If you wanna keep your cost down, then get an iPad 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

Do it - Go on - You know it makes sense

Go to a nearby Best Buy or other store that carries the iPad and play with both the new iPad and the iPad 2 for about 15 minutes or so. Afterwards, you may know if buying one is feasible or not. Questions to ask yourself:

1. Will I actually use it after the newness wears off?
    2. When I'm at home, will I use it more than my iPhone to surf the web, check email, etcetera?
    3. Do I have at least $400 to spare for it?
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    Go to a nearby Best Buy or other store that carries the iPad and play with both the new iPad and the iPad 2 for about 15 minutes or so. Afterwards, you may know if buying one is feasible or not. Questions to ask yourself:

1. Will I actually use it after the newness wears off?
    2. When I'm at home, will I use it more than my iPhone to surf the web, check email, etcetera?
    3. Do I have at least $400 to spare for it?

I've asked myself some of these questions.

1 Yes. I use Motion-X map program on my iPhone (works great!). It would be nice to use this on an iPad. Plus there are things that I can use this for when I'm not at home. Not really practical or as easy to do on the phone. Also, my kids have a LeapPad. Games cost $25.00+ each. iPad games are free, 99 cents or a few dollars. Plus with Apple TV, they can play them on the big screen. Oh yeah, DirecTV Anywhere is available for this. Not for the iPhone yet.

2 Yes again. I'm on my phone a lot when I'm not on my desktop. The iPad will get most of the use while at home.

3 No, but my new Barclay's card with 6 months no interest will take care of that. Instant gratification!

Quote Originally Posted by iMassguy View Post
    I've asked myself some of these questions.

1 Yes. I use Motion-X map program on my iPhone (works great!). It would be nice to use this on an iPad. Plus there are things that I can use this for when I'm not at home. Not really practical or as easy to do on the phone. Also, my kids have a LeapPad. Games cost $25.00+ each. iPad games are free, 99 cents or a few dollars. Plus with Apple TV, they can play them on the big screen. Oh yeah, DirecTV Anywhere is available for this. Not for the iPhone yet.

2 Yes again. I'm on my phone a lot when I'm not on my desktop. The iPad will get most of the use while at home.

3 No, but my new Barclay's card with 6 months no interest will take care of that. Instant gratification!
    Enjoy your new iPad, my friend.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    905 Global Posts

I changed my mind. I won't get an iPad. Instead I'll pony up the extra cash and get a MacBook pro as I've wanted one for some time now.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,806 Global Posts

I've had all the iPhones, currently the 4S. The new iPad is my all time favorite iDevice. I love this thing.
    Last edited by pilsbury; 08-29-2012 at 09:21 PM.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    206 Global Posts

I just recently bought a MacBook Air. My next purchase is an iPad. Then, my collection, it will be complete.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

The New iPad (iPad 3) is by far the best piece of technology I've ever bought hands down! I haven't touched my laptop since I bought it. Everything I want to do, I can do with the iPad.