Nexus 7 vs. iPad 3

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
I'll be doing a post about this today or tomorrow, but here are some notes:

1. Nexus 7 is more like a big iPod touch to me than a small iPad.

2. I miss 3G/4G. Every iPad I've ever bought was with 3G and now LTE. I use a tablet when I'm out-and-about and not having cellular is annoying.

3. Jelly Bean is a *much* better UI than any previous version of Android. If Google can make it completely consistent in Key Lime Pie or whatever's after that, it'll be something.

4. The deliberate mix of smartphone and tablet UI elements was a mistake (or a placeholder). Android's dearth of tablet apps needs to be fixed by getting more and better tablet apps, not hodge-podging in smartphone apps.

5. I miss Apple's patented interactions, like elastic banding. Also, Android still tracks touch "looser" and is more jittery still. Project Butter is better, but still nowhere near iOS. Google might need to re-architect lower layers. Not sure how they can get past the patents though :-/

6. The functionality is excellent. Notifications are way better. Apple needs actionable notifications post-haste. I could do without all the icons jam-packing the status bar, but the quick access to settings, and the rest are stellar.

7. The fast app switcher, which is like cards turned 90 degrees, works well. It's easy to scroll through, choose apps, and toss them away.

More to come! Anyone else given a Nexus 7 a try yet?

peterthomas

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I heard a lot about it, and thought to give it a try, but not having a proper cellular is of-course a big flaw, i think it shouldn't be much problem for a company to put the cellular feature in the device, but I wonder why they didn't put anything in it.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I heard a lot about it, and thought to give it a try, but not having a proper cellular is of-course a big flaw, i think it shouldn't be much problem for a company to put the cellular feature in the device, but I wonder why they didn't put anything in it.

The main thing is it keeps the cost way down. Also a lot of people have no use for anything other than WiFi. Of course I realize there are those that do need more but in general most people do not. I can always just tether directly from my Galaxy Nexus or iPhone if need be.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site

OMG, I thought the same thing and you should see my Nexus 7 next to my iTouch, they look like siblings! (Is another lawsuit coming, LOL!) I should take a picture of the 2 of them with my PlayBook and post it up in this thread. ;)

Anyways, as much as I like the Nexus 7, it does not compare to my PlayBook, and certainly does not compare to an iPad, BUT it's a nice little tablet. Google just needs to get the developers to get their apps Jellybean ready AND dropping flash support was a mistake in my opinion. (Yes I hacked flash back in, BUT you shouldn't have to do that, plus it doesn't really work like it should, and like it does on my PB, or on other Android tablets up to ICS). Too many hardware compromises also such as no SD slot, no rear cam (no cam software for the front cam - except 3rd party), no cellular option, and no HDMI out.

eric6052

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus 7 looks nice but I'm sitting this one out. I have an Android phone (HTC Rezound) that I like a lot, and serves my needs better than the iPhone. I bought an Acer Iconia tablet and Nook Color last year so I've got experience with 10 and 7 inch Android tablets. This year I bought the new iPad. It is heads and shoulders above my android tablets in functionality, design and availability of apps. My Acer is stock ICS right now but I can put a Jellybean Rom on it if I want to but right now I don't even want to spend the time since its basically collecting dust except when my kids want to play games on it. For me the perfect combination is an Android Phone and the iPad. In a couple of years when it's time for me to get a new tablet I will look at what's available on each platform mad switch but right now I'm good. If it were up to me as a gadget lover I might get one anyway for the novelty of having one butmsincemmy wife is still sporting a firstmgen iPad those funds will need to be spent getting her an upgrade to the fourth gen iPad she's waiting on.

Mago27

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site

2. I miss 3G/4G. Every iPad I've ever bought was with 3G and now LTE. I use a tablet when I'm out-and-about and not having cellular is annoying.

3. Jelly Bean is a *much* better UI than any previous version of Android. If Google can make it completely consistent in Key Lime Pie or whatever's after that, it'll be something.

4. The deliberate mix of smartphone and tablet UI elements was a mistake (or a placeholder). Android's dearth of tablet apps needs to be fixed by getting more and better tablet apps, not hodge-podging in smartphone apps.

5. I miss Apple's patented interactions, like elastic banding. Also, Android still tracks touch "looser" and is more jittery still. Project Butter is better, but still nowhere near iOS. Google might need to re-architect lower layers. Not sure how they can get past the patents though :-/

6. The functionality is excellent. Notifications are way better. Apple needs actionable notifications post-haste. I could do without all the icons jam-packing the status bar, but the quick access to settings, and the rest are stellar.

7. The fast app switcher, which is like cards turned 90 degrees, works well. It's easy to scroll through, choose apps, and toss them away.

More to come! Anyone else given a Nexus 7 a try yet?

I got one, the main reason it's because its cheap and Nexus (I often develop for Android too, so it's a an ideal and cheap test bed).

Mi Impression are mixed, Android JellyBean is an good Advance for android,but lack the refinement we found on IOS, but I love the Open Customization.

The Pre-Installed Suite, just Sucks, I downloaded some ePubs and PDF, and discovered that the Stock Apps that handle but, are far than optimized, very slow and Buggy renderins, control flow issues, few hangs etc. So I Moved to two Android favorites: FBreader for ePub and ezPDF for pdf, now it handles both formats vey good, close experience to the one on an out-the box iPad.

Music and Video, falls on software side, but It's very easy to find good replacements.

So Far, the Size it's right for a Laptop companion device, no complaint on lack of 3G since I use to theter on my iPhone (my carrier allows it).

No Gaming yet, but I agreen on that this device is more an iPod Touch's NigthMare than an iPad Rival.

I love the construction, Apple must learn from Google.

Vanti

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
first off rene i would love for you to elaborate on how its a big ipod touch.

Although i jave no desire to get a nexus 7 i do feel like it should be given an honest shot seeing as how the nexus line is popular and the cleanest cut of what the google experience is. Cant say i agree with you on cellular connectivity because i am generally around wifi during the course of the day which makes it irrelevant. And also Lte wont be coming to Miami anytime soon on either T-mobile, Sprint, or At&t for that matter.
Im still waiting for it to pop up in the local best buy to check it out but in the long run i know i will be waiting for the 7" Ipad or the next iteration of the 10" because "Retina Display" wasn't enough to sell me this time around.

Will you be reviewing that nexus orb thing in comparison to the apple t.v.?

Last edited:

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

Is it because due to the size you're more inclined to use it as a media player and portable gaming device, and less likely to use it as a computing tablet (ie. browsing, email, app running etc)?

It'll be interesting to see when/if the 7" iPad comes out, whether or not you will think the same thing of it.

richard_rsp

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else given a Nexus 7 a try yet?

Yes, I gave one a try. I actually had preordered from Google Play, but ended up picking one up from Sam's Club on launch day and canceled my GP order.

I agree with you, Rene, on much of what you said. Jelly Bean is definitely the best version of Android yet. I have owned (and returned) several 7" Android tablets in the past (I prefer the 7" size for its portability). The nexus 7 is fast, great to hold, and at a good price. The multitasking is worlds better than iOS, very remnant of webOS (which is a good thing). I really enjoyed Google Now (haven't had much Siri experience) - it was fast to respond and relatively accurate. Jelly Bean really made things (such as settings, etc) easier to access compared with previous versions of Android.

However, the attention to detail is not quite there. The whole OS feels like its being ran in an emulator versus being tailored to work perfectly with the device. It didn't occur to me how much attention Apple to this type of stuff until picking up the Nexus 7.

Then there was the hardware/software refinement issues. If you have ventured over to AndroidCentral, you will notice that there are a few posts regarding hardware issues and cost shortcuts, primarily with the screen. Dead pixels, banding, uneven color, and scratching (the Nexus doesn't have Gorilla Glass). There are also several posts of people with devices that aren't charging as well as some's NFC was erroneous out of the box. While I understand that there is bound to be issues with any launch, the multitude of problems reported is slightly concerning.

My Nexus 7 had issues with freezing/restarting (no I didn't root it, only had reputable apps installed). For this reason, I ended up returning mine to Sam's and have lost some faith in Google/Android as a whole to produce a reliable product. I don't need something that I have to re-install firmware out of the box; I need a tablet that works.

The issue that my brain is trying to grasp is this: It is only a $200-$250 tablet. I guess I was expecting it to compete with the iPad, but its crazy to assume that a $200 tablet would have the same level of refinement as my iPad 2 (Isn't it?). Either way, until I can rely on an Android device to be as reliable as my iOS devices, I won't be switching anytime soon.

I really WANTED to like the Nexus 7 (and I did at first), but I guess I'm just more of a $400-$500 tablet guy... (well, unless Apple releases the iPad mini, that is.)
;)

Last edited:

LaDon08

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I honestly love the nexus 7. I have a new iPad as well, along with a 4s. I would say that the iPad has now all but replaced my MacBook pro and the nexus has been bumped to my "iPad". Both get used a ton and naturally have things that they are better at. I truly love the nexus for its size, speed, display, and price.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

It jacks the price way up. I don't think I would get a cellular tablet. I have a perfectly functioning pocket sized tablet for on the go with cellular that is expensive enough.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I picked one up a week ago (pre-ordered from the Goog). I love it. It does exactly what I wanted a tablet to do, and it does it really well. I haven't had one single issue with it. No dead pixels, screen problems, OS problems, or anything. It has worked very well for me. I have really wanted an iPad but I couldn't afford it. At half the price, the Nexus 7 does what I need and does it a little bit cheaper. I never expected or wanted a tablet to replace my computer, and for what I would use it for (browsing, Facebook, twitter, games, music, movies, books, etc.) it is perfect. A good friend of mine who is all Apple all the time (Macs all over the place, only iPhones among him, his wife, his daughter, Apple TV, new iPad, iPad first gen, etc.) said if his job didn't get him the new iPad he would pick up the Nexus 7. This was after me letting him check out mine. I thought that was quite the endorsement.

I am one of those people that really like iOS and Android and kind of wanted an iOS product (my 4S) and an Android product and the Nexus 7 paired with my 4S fits the bill.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I saw the Nexus 7 at Staples this afternoon. I got a chance to play around with it for about 30 minutes. The Nexus is really smooth. I was impressed. The screen looked great and it really had a premium feel to it. I would definitely pick one up if I didn't have an iPad already. The size was the only think that I didn't fall in love with. I like the size of my iPad. I also thought the screen on my iPad is better.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods