Which audio cable?

raju123

May 3, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I bought a apple component av cable from amazon and it works well so I can stream pandora and other type of audio to my car.. The issue is when I try to play a video I can hear sound but since the cable is meant for the tv I get the black screen that says its playing on tv.. Is there any way around this? Or which other cable can I buy that can charge my iPad and play audio through the 30 pin connector..

I know some of you will say why don't I use a the audio through the 3.55 mm jack and charge it with a regular iPad charger but I don't want too many cable around in the car.. Thanks

Fatboy71

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, I bought a apple component av cable from amazon and it works well so I can stream pandora and other type of audio to my car.. The issue is when I try to play a video I can hear sound but since the cable is meant for the tv I get the black screen that says its playing on tv.. Is there any way around this? Or which other cable can I buy that can charge my iPad and play audio through the 30 pin connector..

I know some of you will say why don't I use a the audio through the 3.55 mm jack and charge it with a regular iPad charger but I don't want too many cable around in the car.. Thanks

I presume your wanting to play video in your car?

If so, what type of connections are on your equipment that is in your car?

In my home I use the Apple Digital AV Adapter.

Apple Digital AV Adapter - Apple Store (UK)

With this, one end of it plugs into the 30 pin connector, and the other end of it has two ports/sockets on it, one is for an HDMI cable (to output the video to the TV) and the other port/socket is a 30 pin connector, this then allows you to plug in your changing cable and charge it whilst it is playing (PROVIDING YOUR EQUIPMENT IS ABLE TO SUPPLY ENOUGH POWER TO CHARGE THE iPad)

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
There are passive electronic components inside the connector that "tell" the iPhone what kind of cable has been plugged in. You're not going to find the cable you want in the Apple Store; the demand isn't high enough.

I have a cable that came with a car stereo that has the 30 pin connector on one end, and splits into a USB and a 3.5mm headphone jack at the other end. Actually, the split is at the 30 pin end, but the cable is dressed so that it only separates for the last two feet or so. You could easily make it how you want. The cable locks into the phone for a secure fit.

I bought a replacement on eBay a few months ago, you can still find them there. The part number is KCA-iP200. I have that cable in two of my cars, so it works fine with a non-Panasonic radio.

Edit: This cable is from the "iPod" days, so it's not using video detection. If you play video, the phone will display the video, but the audio will be sent to the audio lines on the 30 pin connector, which lead to the 3.5mm headphone plug at the other end.

Last edited:

zstairlessone

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I presume your wanting to play video in your car?

If so, what type of connections are on your equipment that is in your car?

In my home I use the Apple Digital AV Adapter.

Apple Digital AV Adapter - Apple Store (UK)

With this, one end of it plugs into the 30 pin connector, and the other end of it has two ports/sockets on it, one is for an HDMI cable (to output the video to the TV) and the other port/socket is a 30 pin connector, this then allows you to plug in your changing cable and charge it whilst it is playing (PROVIDING YOUR EQUIPMENT IS ABLE TO SUPPLY ENOUGH POWER TO CHARGE THE iPad)

That's what i use too. It works with my new iPad and with my 4s phone - great

Depending on your car stereo you may have the option of a direct connection into the wiring harness. I know Chrysler radios since around 2008 have the u-connect and you can get an adapter to plug into the back of the radio that allows you to control your phone, pad pod with the radio controls to select music etc.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73