AppleCare+ vs Squaretrade

hahab

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi there,

I've got the new iPad and planning to get either applecare+ or squaretrade. Im not really sure which insurance to get between this two.

Any reccomendation?? I'm nog reaally sure wether there's already a thread discussing about this. If there is, could you give me the link??

Thanks so much :):D

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Squaretrade for sure. Especially if you jailbreak. They also cover immersive water damage.

Last edited:

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Apple Care +. You can just walk into Apple and get a replacement. You also get phone support for 2 years. You don't need to wait and get your new one in the mail and then mail other back.

sunrat39

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
squaretrade. I always hear great things about them and they are a little cheaper than applecare. Also, if you "like" them right now on facebook and sign up for their newsletter, you should get some sort of coupon for your squaretrade purchase. It takes a few days is what I have heard. Good luck!

dlcrouch

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
I have squaretrade warranties on our IPhones, IPADs and one laptop. I've used the service once to repair the laptop. They were quick to respond, repair and return the unit. That said, it took about a week all told. As others mentioned, if you're close to an Apple store you should be able to turn around the repair or swap out in one visit.
Also - only buy a Squaretrade warranty if you have a coupon code - never pay retail. 30 % is the best i've see so far.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Maybe you save a few bucks from AC+ on Square Trade. Don't even know what the price runs on Sq trade. It really comes down to if you break your iPad, do you want to be able to walk into Apple and get a new iPad same day? Or do you want to wait a few days from Sq Trade. Many markets have Apple stores now and continuing to grow. 99.9% of my time is spent in Vegas, LA, or Phoenix. All have tons of Apple stores. I am impatient. I don't want to wait.

It's what works best for you.

sunrat39

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Yea you are lucky Garz. For instance the closest Apple store near me is about 2-3 hours away. Spending money on gas to go to an apple store and exchanging it will cost a lot more than squaretrade's one week turnaround. It really comes down to if you have an Apple store nearby I guess.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Yea you are lucky Garz. For instance the closest Apple store near me is about 2-3 hours away. Spending money on gas to go to an apple store and exchanging it will cost a lot more than squaretrade's one week turnaround. It really comes down to if you have an Apple store nearby I guess.

They can still send you one. What if your on vacation and break your iPad? Might be a Apple store there. But really, just depends what the persons wants and needs are. I live on my iPad. I'm posting from it right now. If I break it, I want a replacement today.

Both my wife and I have 4S's and new iPads. Have AC+ on all 4 devices.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
If I break my iPad today, I'm still gonna have to wait to mail it off. The closest Apple store is 2 hours away, and requires a free day to get there. (I don't often have those.)

I also like the convenience of keeping all my warranties with one company. SquareTrade not only warranties my iPhone and iPad, but my husband's Droid, our pc's, our digital cameras, and a few other electronics (including an air conditioner!).

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I have SquareTrade on all my iOS products and have been very happy. Plus they give me $5 per referral if I use my link code, so that is even better. Never had an issue, phone support is very friendly and they have been a trusted company since I used to be with them on eBay 8-9 years ago.

sunrat39

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Apple Care +. You can just walk into Apple and get a replacement. You also get phone support for 2 years. You don't need to wait and get your new one in the mail and then mail other back.

Just read on Squaretrade's website that you can take it to a Genius Bar or a local repair shop and Squaretrade will cover the cost. I am about to buy my warranty today actually.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
What ever works for individual. I personally like apple care plus. You can't beet the service you get from an apple store. I have Verizon and all I do with them is pay my bill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

adamwade

May 19, 2012
Visit site
SquareTrade all the way!

I just got a New iPad, and for $110 after getting a coupon from Facebook, I now have a 3-year accidental damage warranty, with NO deductible (I paid like $10 extra to not have one).

I personally have not had to make a claim with them, but I know several who have and I have heard nothing but an easy, great experience. And it also looks like way less exclusions than AppleCare+, and no $49 deductible/service charge.

On top of all of that, you can still get it serviced at an Apple Store.

Apple's extended stuff gave me a bad taste in my mouth when they tried to sell me the $79 thing for my phone - which basically just extended their manufacturers warranty. So the product is covered from their defects for two years. They should cover it for two years anyway, LOL.

I hadn't heard of AppleCare+ until this thread, and when I went to the website I was very glad that I chose SquareTrade - if anything happens to my iPad (aside from theft/loss, which my regular insurance covers), for the next THREE years, I get it fixed or replaced. That piece of mind was certainly worth $110, and their reputation cannot be beat (as opposed to Apple, who I hear horror stories about - something flips your "submerged" trip, even if it wasn't submerged, and you are SOL - SquareTrade doesn't pull that stuff).

gdbjr

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
SquareTrade all the way!

I just got a New iPad, and for $110 after getting a coupon from Facebook, I now have a 3-year accidental damage warranty, with NO deductible (I paid like $10 extra to not have one).

I personally have not had to make a claim with them, but I know several who have and I have heard nothing but an easy, great experience. And it also looks like way less exclusions than AppleCare+, and no $49 deductible/service charge.

On top of all of that, you can still get it serviced at an Apple Store.

Apple's extended stuff gave me a bad taste in my mouth when they tried to sell me the $79 thing for my phone - which basically just extended their manufacturers warranty. So the product is covered from their defects for two years. They should cover it for two years anyway, LOL.

I hadn't heard of AppleCare+ until this thread, and when I went to the website I was very glad that I chose SquareTrade - if anything happens to my iPad (aside from theft/loss, which my regular insurance covers), for the next THREE years, I get it fixed or replaced. That piece of mind was certainly worth $110, and their reputation cannot be beat (as opposed to Apple, who I hear horror stories about - something flips your "submerged" trip, even if it wasn't submerged, and you are SOL - SquareTrade doesn't pull that stuff).

Apple Care+ covers all accidental damage for 2 years. They will replace your phone up to 2 times for $49 each time. This includes if your battery won't hold a charge of more then 50% what a new one should.

Deadbolt

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I've had Squaretrade since before they offered the AppleCare+ deal and I'll be sticking with them with future iOS devices.

My story goes like this: I went to the gym after work one evening, and my 4 fell out of my pocket on to the ground. I heard the sickening crack of the glass shattering. I immediately called Squaretrade. They were very helpful, and the claim took about 10 minutes to file. There was an Apple store about a mile from the gym, and they told me to just go to the Apple store and get a replacement, which I did. The in store cost was $200, and I had to send the receipt to Squaretade. Less than 24 hours later they reimbursed the total cost via PayPal. So I had my replacement phone in less than an hour and the cost reimbursed in less than a day.

Reactions: cardfan

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice