Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    hahab's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    5 Posts

    Default AppleCare+ vs Squaretrade

    Hi there,

    I've got the new iPad and planning to get either applecare+ or squaretrade. Im not really sure which insurance to get between this two.

    Any reccomendation?? I'm nog reaally sure wether there's already a thread discussing about this. If there is, could you give me the link??

    Thanks so much
  2. #2  
    sherlock's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,737 Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.6

    Default

    Squaretrade for sure. Especially if you jailbreak. They also cover immersive water damage.
    Last edited by sherlock; 05-15-2012 at 12:01 AM.
  3. #3  
    Garz's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    4,273 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    8.0

    Default

    Apple Care +. You can just walk into Apple and get a replacement. You also get phone support for 2 years. You don't need to wait and get your new one in the mail and then mail other back.
  4. #4  
    sherlock's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,737 Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    ... You don't need to wait and get your new one in the mail and then mail other back.
    Granted if there's actually an Apple store within 100 miles.
    Thanked by:
    phonejunky (06-10-2012)
  5. #5  
    Garz's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    4,273 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    8.0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sherlock View Post
    Granted if there's actually an Apple store within 100 miles.
    If not, you can still deal with Apple over the phone. I'd rather deal with them than square trade. No better phone support than the people who make the product.
    Thanked by:
    phonejunky (06-10-2012)
  6. #6  
    sunrat39's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    124 Posts
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

    Default

    squaretrade. I always hear great things about them and they are a little cheaper than applecare. Also, if you "like" them right now on facebook and sign up for their newsletter, you should get some sort of coupon for your squaretrade purchase. It takes a few days is what I have heard. Good luck!
  7. #7  
    Alli's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    11,051 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

    Default

    I love Squaretrade. I'm one of their biggest advocates. I've actually used them several times for repair - and they're good, and fast. And yes, you can talk to them on the phone just like AppleCare.

    Want $5 off on a SquareTrade warranty? Use my link:
  8. #8  
    dlcrouch's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    25 Posts

    Default

    I have squaretrade warranties on our IPhones, IPADs and one laptop. I've used the service once to repair the laptop. They were quick to respond, repair and return the unit. That said, it took about a week all told. As others mentioned, if you're close to an Apple store you should be able to turn around the repair or swap out in one visit.
    Also - only buy a Squaretrade warranty if you have a coupon code - never pay retail. 30 % is the best i've see so far.
  9. #9  
    Garz's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    4,273 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    8.0

    Default

    Maybe you save a few bucks from AC+ on Square Trade. Don't even know what the price runs on Sq trade. It really comes down to if you break your iPad, do you want to be able to walk into Apple and get a new iPad same day? Or do you want to wait a few days from Sq Trade. Many markets have Apple stores now and continuing to grow. 99.9% of my time is spent in Vegas, LA, or Phoenix. All have tons of Apple stores. I am impatient. I don't want to wait.

    It's what works best for you.
  10. #10  
    sunrat39's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    124 Posts
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

    Default

    Yea you are lucky Garz. For instance the closest Apple store near me is about 2-3 hours away. Spending money on gas to go to an apple store and exchanging it will cost a lot more than squaretrade's one week turnaround. It really comes down to if you have an Apple store nearby I guess.
    MrLogan likes this.
  11. #11  
    Garz's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    4,273 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    8.0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunrat39 View Post
    Yea you are lucky Garz. For instance the closest Apple store near me is about 2-3 hours away. Spending money on gas to go to an apple store and exchanging it will cost a lot more than squaretrade's one week turnaround. It really comes down to if you have an Apple store nearby I guess.
    They can still send you one. What if your on vacation and break your iPad? Might be a Apple store there. But really, just depends what the persons wants and needs are. I live on my iPad. I'm posting from it right now. If I break it, I want a replacement today.

    Both my wife and I have 4S's and new iPads. Have AC+ on all 4 devices.
  12. #12  
    Alli's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    11,051 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

    Default

    If I break my iPad today, I'm still gonna have to wait to mail it off. The closest Apple store is 2 hours away, and requires a free day to get there. (I don't often have those.)

    I also like the convenience of keeping all my warranties with one company. SquareTrade not only warranties my iPhone and iPad, but my husband's Droid, our pc's, our digital cameras, and a few other electronics (including an air conditioner!).
  13. #13  
    Craig's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    421 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.0

    Default

    I have SquareTrade on all my iOS products and have been very happy. Plus they give me $5 per referral if I use my link code, so that is even better. Never had an issue, phone support is very friendly and they have been a trusted company since I used to be with them on eBay 8-9 years ago.
    Craig S, Photographer
    ConciergePhoto
    ModelMayhem
    "Be Remarkable!"
  14. #14  
    sunrat39's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    124 Posts
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    Apple Care +. You can just walk into Apple and get a replacement. You also get phone support for 2 years. You don't need to wait and get your new one in the mail and then mail other back.
    Just read on Squaretrade's website that you can take it to a Genius Bar or a local repair shop and Squaretrade will cover the cost. I am about to buy my warranty today actually.
  15. #15  

    Default

    What ever works for individual. I personally like apple care plus. You can't beet the service you get from an apple store. I have Verizon and all I do with them is pay my bill.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  16. #16  
    adamwade's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    1 Posts

    Default

    SquareTrade all the way!

    I just got a New iPad, and for $110 after getting a coupon from Facebook, I now have a 3-year accidental damage warranty, with NO deductible (I paid like $10 extra to not have one).

    I personally have not had to make a claim with them, but I know several who have and I have heard nothing but an easy, great experience. And it also looks like way less exclusions than AppleCare+, and no $49 deductible/service charge.

    On top of all of that, you can still get it serviced at an Apple Store.

    Apple's extended stuff gave me a bad taste in my mouth when they tried to sell me the $79 thing for my phone - which basically just extended their manufacturers warranty. So the product is covered from their defects for two years. They should cover it for two years anyway, LOL.

    I hadn't heard of AppleCare+ until this thread, and when I went to the website I was very glad that I chose SquareTrade - if anything happens to my iPad (aside from theft/loss, which my regular insurance covers), for the next THREE years, I get it fixed or replaced. That piece of mind was certainly worth $110, and their reputation cannot be beat (as opposed to Apple, who I hear horror stories about - something flips your "submerged" trip, even if it wasn't submerged, and you are SOL - SquareTrade doesn't pull that stuff).
  17. #17  
    Stupifiery's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5

    Default

    I used to use Squaretrade. Now it's all AppleCare+
  18. #18  
    gdbjr's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adamwade View Post
    SquareTrade all the way!

    I just got a New iPad, and for $110 after getting a coupon from Facebook, I now have a 3-year accidental damage warranty, with NO deductible (I paid like $10 extra to not have one).

    I personally have not had to make a claim with them, but I know several who have and I have heard nothing but an easy, great experience. And it also looks like way less exclusions than AppleCare+, and no $49 deductible/service charge.

    On top of all of that, you can still get it serviced at an Apple Store.

    Apple's extended stuff gave me a bad taste in my mouth when they tried to sell me the $79 thing for my phone - which basically just extended their manufacturers warranty. So the product is covered from their defects for two years. They should cover it for two years anyway, LOL.

    I hadn't heard of AppleCare+ until this thread, and when I went to the website I was very glad that I chose SquareTrade - if anything happens to my iPad (aside from theft/loss, which my regular insurance covers), for the next THREE years, I get it fixed or replaced. That piece of mind was certainly worth $110, and their reputation cannot be beat (as opposed to Apple, who I hear horror stories about - something flips your "submerged" trip, even if it wasn't submerged, and you are SOL - SquareTrade doesn't pull that stuff).
    Apple Care+ covers all accidental damage for 2 years. They will replace your phone up to 2 times for $49 each time. This includes if your battery won't hold a charge of more then 50% what a new one should.
  19. #19  
    Deadbolt's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    6 Posts

    Default

    I've had Squaretrade since before they offered the AppleCare+ deal and I'll be sticking with them with future iOS devices.

    My story goes like this: I went to the gym after work one evening, and my 4 fell out of my pocket on to the ground. I heard the sickening crack of the glass shattering. I immediately called Squaretrade. They were very helpful, and the claim took about 10 minutes to file. There was an Apple store about a mile from the gym, and they told me to just go to the Apple store and get a replacement, which I did. The in store cost was $200, and I had to send the receipt to Squaretade. Less than 24 hours later they reimbursed the total cost via PayPal. So I had my replacement phone in less than an hour and the cost reimbursed in less than a day.
    Thanked by:
    cardfan (05-20-2012)
    gvndeb60 likes this.
  20. #20  
    MaxiumGrimm's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0

    Cool MasterCard Extended Warranty ??

    have you guys forgotten the MasterCard Extended Warranty ??

  21. #21  
    FendrGuitPlayr's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    259 Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    Apple Care +. You can just walk into Apple and get a replacement. You also get phone support for 2 years. You don't need to wait and get your new one in the mail and then mail other back.
    Agreed - Fast and easy!
    A GOAL without a PLAN is only a WISH.
  22. #22  
    Irish Rose's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    5,919 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    If I break my iPad today, I'm still gonna have to wait to mail it off. The closest Apple store is 2 hours away, and requires a free day to get there.
    If I break my iPad today, all I have to do is call Apple and they'll send a replacement out overnight. With AppleCare+ one does not have to wait to send the broken iDevice back first before they receive a replacement.


    Sent from my 4G iPad using Tapatalk HD.
  23. #23  
    Irish Rose's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    5,919 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunrat39 View Post
    Yea you are lucky Garz. For instance the closest Apple store near me is about 2-3 hours away. Spending money on gas to go to an apple store and exchanging it will cost a lot more than squaretrade's one week turnaround. It really comes down to if you have an Apple store nearby I guess.
    One week for ST? Wow, AC+ is much faster. You don't have to go to an Apple store for a replacement. Simply call 1-800-my-apple and they will send out a replacement right away. A friend at work was having WiFi issues with her 64GB WiFi only New iPad, she called Apple and she had a new one less than 48 hours later. When she got the replacement she mailed the defective iPad back to Apple.


    Sent from my 4G iPad using Tapatalk HD.
  24. #24  
    Alli's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    11,051 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rose View Post
    If I break my iPad today, all I have to do is call Apple and they'll send a replacement out overnight. With AppleCare+ one does not have to wait to send the broken iDevice back first before they receive a replacement.


    Sent from my 4G iPad using Tapatalk HD.
    That's new. And nice.
  25. #25  
    Irish Rose's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    5,919 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    That's new. And nice.
    You mean Apple hasn't always had it set up this way? Maybe they do it now because of it being AC+. One thing to mention, though, Apple did put a hold on my friends CC in the amount of the replacement until they received the defective one back. I wouldn't mind that if it meant I could avoid a long ride to an Apple store and get a replacement sooner.


    Sent from my 4G iPad using Tapatalk HD.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions