Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Default Ipad(and IOS devices) Printing Options

Hi all,

Im am trying to print from my iPad to a printer that is shared on a XP machine. Its not Airprint compatible.

I am looking for a free solution if possible as im not going to be using it on a daily basis. i also dont want to do any jailbreaking. I have seen some paid programs. but the trial versions of things like Fingerprint dont seem to work well enough to justify paying for something.

What are the free programs that work well to print in this situation?
    iMore Actual

Global Posts
    2,356 Global Posts
    iOS Version

It's probably going to be a hack no matter what you do. Apple just hasn't enabled that functionality yet.

I know some people who have restored to email, Dropbox, and VNC but that's hella ugly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Global Posts
    17,265 Global Posts
    iOS Version

If you have $50 to spare, you can purchase an AirPrint printer easily at a nearby Walmart, Target or Best Buy store. I recommend the Epson NX430. I didn't need to install anything on my I-devices to be able to print from them. The printer is connected wirelessly to my network and all I did was type in the passcode on the front display panel of the printer. After it connected to my network, both my iPhone and iPad recognized it and Voila!

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version

Free options? Ehhhh... not sure of any that aren't a hassle or severely limited. We have a great printer that's not AirPrint capable, so I just got FingerPrint and use that. Painless, and it was $10 when I purchased.
    Reminding people that "your" "you're"...

Habitual Line-Stepper since 1979

"Victory has 100 fathers... Defeat is an orphan." - John F. Kennedy
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iPhone Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuGrip View Post
    Free options? Ehhhh... not sure of any that aren't a hassle or severely limited. We have a great printer that's not AirPrint capable, so I just got FingerPrint and use that. Painless, and it was $10 when I purchased.
    I tried the trial of Fingerprint in hopes of buying it if it worked. $10 is reasonable for this. But the trial didnt seem to work consistently even though it said the trial had no limitations. I guess it matters on the equipment your using. My printer is probably 4-5 years old. But works for the small amount of printing I do.

Thanks for the input guys.

Global Posts
    11,066 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Get PrintCenral Pro in the app store. You install an app on your XP box, and PrintCentral Pro can use any printer that's set up on that XP box. Not free, but much less than an AirPrint ready printer.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version
    Latest

I use Fingerprint, not free but works really well and compared to the cost of purchasing a new compatible AirPrint device - surely worth the investment
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    210 Global Posts

Here's a link. I followed it and it works for me.