iPad and PC laptop

southpawmedic

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I will be starting grad school this fall and have a question. How easy is it to use an iPad for notes using Notability during lecture and using a PC laptop for other projects? Will I run into issues getting my notes placed on my laptop for studying later? I'm not opposed to purchasing a Macbook Pro but was interested in everyone's thoughts on the usability and practicality of using these two together.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Is Notability a cloud service like Evernote? If it is, then you shouldn't have problems accessing your notes on a laptop. Also, I dont know how fast you are in typing out notes on a touchscreen going by the speed of a lecture, so if it's an issue then the only problem you'd have is choosing what kinda bluetooth keyboard you wanna get.

When it comes down to it, it comes down to what's practical for you when making the purchase. Buy a MacBook while you already have a good working laptop? Or an iPad since you already have a laptop

southpawmedic

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Notability is a notes application. I'm assuming I will be able to upload the notes to iCloud. What I'm concerned about is ease of interaction between the two. I don't want to have notes on my iPad that I can only view there and not on a laptop.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I love Notability and it is very easy to use. As for transferring your notes to your PC laptop, it's as easy as uploading from Notability to your Dropbox and then downloading them on your PC laptop or other device. You can read a review HERE

Reactions: southpawmedic

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Notability is a notes application. I'm assuming I will be able to upload the notes to iCloud. What I'm concerned about is ease of interaction between the two. I don't want to have notes on my iPad that I can only view there and not on a laptop.

It's all about how easy it is to look at the notes on iCloud while on a laptop. Personally, I use Evernote and login to my account to access my notes on a PC. Everything syncs from everywhere. The Google Chrome browser even has a plug-in to install an Evernote app.

Chop

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I used my iPad (w/Notability) during my grad school; sync'd everything with Dropbox. No issues. As the year progressed, I did find it just a bit easier to use my laptop, and use Notability's audio record feature. IMO it's situations like this where programs like Evernote shine, too.

southpawmedic

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I love Notability and it is very easy to use. As for transferring your notes to your PC laptop, it's as easy as uploading from Notability to your Dropbox and then downloading them on your PC laptop or other device. You can read a review HERE

In your opinion, would this be practical? Or would it be smarter just to spring for a MBP?

southpawmedic

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks much everyone. I may just purchase the cheaper laptop instead of a MBP and use it in conjunction with an iPad. That would save me a few hundred.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks much everyone. I may just purchase the cheaper laptop instead of a MBP and use it in conjunction with an iPad. That would save me a few hundred.
That is the 'smart' thing to do, in my opinion. Take care and good luck.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Definitely cheaper to get Notability and use a pc. I take notes on my iPad using Notability during meetings, and just email my Notability notes to other committee members and it makes it great for everyone. I can even go back and delete me doodles prior to emailing. ;)

whiterave

May 2, 2012
Visit site
I am a big pc person and just bought an iPad. I use OneNote it part of the ms office suite and it is a free app and you get 7-25gb free space on ms sky drive depending on when you sign up. Or you can use cloudon, it has office builtin and it's free and you can sync it to box.net (free 5gb)

If you are wanting to only use iCloud I am not sure if cloudon works with that or what other tools you could use

I hope that helps.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
In your opinion, would this be practical? Or would it be smarter just to spring for a MBP?

I'm sorry for just now seeing this post. Anyway, to answer your question: Yes, it is practical especially If you already have an iPad, Notability and cloud service. The only thing you may need is a Bluetooth keyboard to type on and even if you didn't have the aforementioned items, purchasing them is still cheaper than buying a MacBook Pro.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

southpawmedic

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you everyone. I'll be purchasing a laptop for school and waiting until I"m making the "big bucks" to splurge on the MBP. Now to decide which laptop to buy.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you everyone. I'll be purchasing a laptop for school and waiting until I"m making the "big bucks" to splurge on the MBP. Now to decide which laptop to buy.

You're very welcome. Take care and good luck on your search for a new laptop. ;)

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Lenovo makes a good one. Lots of the others are full of junkware... Personally I'd get a custom build without any of the extra junk.

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk