The Other Category

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
In iTunes, I note that the Other category of my iPad 3's memory has grown to be the largest single category. I have no idea what Other consists of or why it's grown to be huge. What sort of apps or data or whatever is Other as classed in iTunes?

My 32 gig iPad is slowly but surely being eaten by Other and I have no idea what that means. Thx.

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
This is likely data that you have downloaded form within other applications. If you go to Settings - iCloud - Storage and Backup - Manage Storage - Show all apps you can see which apps have the most data stored.

One easy fix is to clear out Safari's History and Cache. Another possibility is to reset the meter in iTunes: just uncheck then recheck the synch over WiFi box.

If that doesn't work then reset it by doing the following:

Turn off the music or photo sync option in iTunes for the device.
Click Apply to sync the changes to the device.
Turn the music and photo sync options for the device on again.
Click Apply again to try to sync the device to iTunes.

Reactions: slide

mikos

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Other could be all the files you either load via iTunes for other programs (movie files for Goodplayer, PDFs for Acrobat, books for Kindle app, etc.) or it is all the files that are saved locally for your apps. These can be docs, ppts, xls files, almost anything that is saved on your iPad then "opened in" another app.

All of these may add up over time.

Reactions: slide

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
OK. Thanks, guys. I'll check those things out.

Edit:

I tried all suggestions. Nothing changed. I only have a few MB taken up in iCloud storage. I do have the Kindle app loaded and a few books but supposedly these are all in the Amazon cloud rather than down here. I suppose the next step may be to delete the Kindle app and see if that changes things. I may do that later on.

Second edit:

OK. It's clear. I did a hard reset and that did it. I have no idea why nor do I care.

Last edited:

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I can store locally or in the cloud in the Kindle app.

Per my post above, it was probably cache stuff I had no way to flush except to hard reset.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner