Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Banned

Global Posts
    892 Global Posts

Default Why can't I watch movies AND do other things at the same time?

I wanted to watch a video and write about it at the same time. If you're doing a screenplay transcript, how are you supposed to do that.? Why can't the iPad do that?

On laptops uouyou can do this. You can also webcam and do stuff at the same time as well.

Global Posts
    12,152 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Your expectations are too high for the iPad in my opinion. To do what you want simply requires more of a machine than can be crammed into an iPad. Use the right tool for the job - a laptop or workstation if transcribing video.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    BlackBerry Guy likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    4,074 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Tablet hardware and OSs aren't really ideal, intended. or setup for the multi-tasking experience you can get on a desktop or notebook (ie. multiple shrunken windows running in the background).

While you can do some content creation on a tablet, it is still primarily a consumption device.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    123 Global Posts

Its interesting though that you can play music in the background, and I believe you can listen to audio podcasts in the back ground. I think the key is that in order to watch video on a tablet, the app must have full control of the screen. iOS and Android OSes do not support multiple apps using the screen at the same time.

You may have some luck finding an app that plays the audio track while you are writing though.

I have also tried using a Windows tablet for what you are attempting, but trying to use Windows on a 10" tablet is painful - and not just on the eyes.
    Super Moderator

Global Posts
    569 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Kinda funny, maybe you should pick up a BlackBerry PlayBook on the cheap. The multitasking on them can, for the most part, do what you are asking. Makes the "Your expectations are too high for the iPad in my opinion." comment look rather out of place when the lowly PlayBook can do it just fine.
    Last edited by Chris Parsons; 04-20-2012 at 09:32 PM.
    Chris Parsons
    Twitter: @Bla1ze

[ Mobile Nations Sites: Android, iOS, Windows Phone, BlackBerry ]
    Thanked by:
    pkcable (04-23-2012)
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts

Check out the App: Panes. Also, send the developer an email to get instructions to unlock the Easter egg. You'll be glad you did

Global Posts
    12,152 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Bla1ze View Post
    Kinda funny, maybe you should pick up a BlackBerry PlayBook on the cheap. The multitasking on them can, for the most part, do what you are asking. Makes the "Your expectations are too high for the iPad in my opinion." comment look rather out of place when the lowly PlayBook can do it just fine.
    One would think an editor for Mobile Nations might have the good sense to not snarkily alienate a forum contributor like this... SMH.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    Thanked by:
    Heisenberg (04-21-2012)
    iPhone Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by c.hack View Post
    Its interesting though that you can play music in the background, and I believe you can listen to audio podcasts in the back ground. I think the key is that in order to watch video on a tablet, the app must have full control of the screen. iOS and Android OSes do not support multiple apps using the screen at the same time.

You may have some luck finding an app that plays the audio track while you are writing though.

I have also tried using a Windows tablet for what you are attempting, but trying to use Windows on a 10" tablet is painful - and not just on the eyes.
    Take a look at the new htc hd streamer box. That lets you stream hd videos while doing things on your phone.

There are also more and more apps for android that can run like a window on top of another app.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    5,781 Global Posts

Good thing you could just take out your iphone and type (and even use a bt kb if you want) while watching video on the ipad.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,029 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by motoleo View Post
    I wanted to watch a video and write about it at the same time. If you're doing a screenplay transcript, how are you supposed to do that.? Why can't the iPad do that?

On laptops uouyou can do this. You can also webcam and do stuff at the same time as well.
    I don't think your question is particularly out-of-bounds. It's true that the iPad is largely defined by a one-thing-at-a-time experience, but that definition can and does change whenever the right people or the right number of people demand it.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet that *video* (not just audio) podcasts and Youtube videos can play in the background. For those that don't know how, just start the video as you normally would, then return to the home screen while the video is still active. The video will stop playing, but if you double click the home button and scroll to the right, you'll reveal the playback controls (from the left). Press play and the video will resume playing, audio-only. When you return to the video, with few exceptions, the video should be at the same point as the audio you were listening to.

If you start any other audio-capable app, you risk having to start the above process all over, again.

Anyway, with the above capabilities in-mind, there's no *good* reason why movies couldn't play in the background. I just tried to have a tv show play in the background. No luck. I'm downloading a movie, now, for what I'm sure will be a futile effort.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    123 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thomasmorkeberg View Post
    Take a look at the new htc hd streamer box. That lets you stream hd videos while doing things on your phone.

There are also more and more apps for android that can run like a window on top of another app.
    I don't think the HTC media streamer is what he is looking for - how would it let you watch video and write on your tablet at the same time.

I actually watch a lot of podcasts on an android tablet. I have yet to find a good podcast app or even one well made for an android tablet. The one that works best, Doggcatcher - will not play video or audio in the background. I would be interested in what you have found because I have been nothing but disappointed in android tablet apps.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts

This is one of those areas that android is ahead, probably due to the "power user" aspect to the OS. Android tablets have apps that run in windows from chat clients, calculators, web browsers, video players, etc. I hope apple allows this soon.

I don't think the HTC media streamer is what he is looking for - how would it let you watch video and write on your tablet at the same time.

I actually watch a lot of podcasts on an android tablet. I have yet to find a good podcast app or even one well made for an android tablet. The one that works best, Doggcatcher - will not play video or audio in the background. I would be interested in what you have found because I have been nothing but disappointed in android tablet apps.
    Not sure what you're talking about on Doggcatcher. It plays both in the background. It will do so automatically with an audio podcast, and you can play a video podcast as an audio podcast.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    123 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by E_man View Post
    Not sure what you're talking about on Doggcatcher. It plays both in the background. It will do so automatically with an audio podcast, and you can play a video podcast as an audio podcast.
    I have yet to get Doggcatcher on the tablet to play in the background even though the phone version does. Even worse, it forgets where it left off, so when you reopen the app you have to remind it which podcast was playing.

iOS used to have terrible podcast support, but now it's apps are much better (they have not improved in the past year on Android tablets). I love being able to control the playing podcast directly from the lock-screen. The iOS apps may not be as techie as the Android apps, but they are certainly easier to use and have much better UI.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

I like the YouTube app. on Android where you can write a comment while the video is playing. Only problem is the comment box gets in the way of the video. However this shows that it can be done even with low end hardware.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

I would like to be able to split the screen on an iPad and run two separate apps simultaneously. To the devs out there is this possible?
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    33,480 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by Bla1ze View Post
    I was just thinking the same thing!!!!!! FTR I own both an iPad and a PlayBook.
    Super Moderator

Global Posts
    569 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    One would think an editor for Mobile Nations might have the good sense to not snarkily alienate a forum contributor like this... SMH.
    I wasn't being snarky, if that is how you perceived it there isn't much I can do about that. I made a suggestion based on the OP and made a reference to how the PlayBook as a tablet is underrated for it's multitasking abilities in comparison to other tablets on the market using your comment as contrast. PlayBooks go for cheap that's pretty much a fact, if suggesting a cheap alternative that does what the OP wants is alienation these days then I have to wonder what the world is coming too.
    Last edited by Chris Parsons; 04-23-2012 at 08:57 PM.
    Chris Parsons
    Twitter: @Bla1ze

[ Mobile Nations Sites: Android, iOS, Windows Phone, BlackBerry ]
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    123 Global Posts

I find it hard to believe anyone could comfortable watch video and simultaneously write on a 10" tablet. A 7" Playbook would be a miserable experience. If you think the Playbook would work, you should mention the apps you are referring to. One of the Playbooks biggest weaknesses is lack of apps.

iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,029 Global Posts

I find it hard to believe anyone could comfortable watch video and simultaneously write on a 10" tablet. A 7" Playbook would be a miserable experience. If you think the Playbook would work, you should mention the apps you are referring to. One of the Playbooks biggest weaknesses is lack of apps.

I thought the whole point was for the original poster to have the option of playing the movie in the background so that s/he could transcribe the audio.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    256 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Captured using OnLive Desktop. The video is a 3gp, btw, for compression reasons. It synced in about a second. Can type and watch at the same time. Superb audio quality. You can get the whole setup for free in about 10 mins.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts

I have yet to get Doggcatcher on the tablet to play in the background even though the phone version does. Even worse, it forgets where it left off, so when you reopen the app you have to remind it which podcast was playing.

iOS used to have terrible podcast support, but now it's apps are much better (they have not improved in the past year on Android tablets). I love being able to control the playing podcast directly from the lock-screen. The iOS apps may not be as techie as the Android apps, but they are certainly easier to use and have much better UI.

It sounds like you managed to switch to an external player. Both things you describe happen from an external player, but not doggcatcher. The rest of what you said, eh, we all have our opinions.

It's not the ideal case for either task, but sometimes you just want to multitask.
    iPhone Nanite

Default multitasking tablets

Truth is some tablets have this feature. I have seen it on Motorola Xooms and others. My iPad doesn't have the feature. Truth is for a novice, and a person that wants to follow the marketing then IPad maybe the way to go. For those that are more tech savy, or want more for their buck, there are so many better choices. Especially when it comes to iPhone vs DROIDS, DROID KILLS MY IPHONE. Speed, TRUE 4G, capabilities, features, control, no iTunes, and so much more. The down side, too many choices. I prefer motorola's Max new version, think battery is about 21+ talk time. Voice recognition kills Siri. Have execs, techs, friends, constantly using my phone because theirs donesnt come in. oh before you blame the carrier, they had same carrier that others in room had. Only difference phone manufacture. Apple has style, but ipone and tablet is not the best product for your money anymore
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,029 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by platformindependent View Post
    Truth is some tablets have this feature. I have seen it on Motorola Xooms and others. My iPad doesn't have the feature. Truth is for a novice, and a person that wants to follow the marketing then IPad maybe the way to go. For those that are more tech savy, or want more for their buck, there are so many better choices. Especially when it comes to iPhone vs DROIDS, DROID KILLS MY IPHONE. Speed, TRUE 4G, capabilities, features, control, no iTunes, and so much more. The down side, too many choices. I prefer motorola's Max new version, think battery is about 21+ talk time. Voice recognition kills Siri. Have execs, techs, friends, constantly using my phone because theirs donesnt come in. oh before you blame the carrier, they had same carrier that others in room had. Only difference phone manufacture. Apple has style, but ipone and tablet is not the best product for your money anymore
    It's all about what your desired functionality and additional benefits are. The iOS platform is more consistent. There aren't as many different types of devices or worries about what version of the OS you can get. People know more about iPhones because the iteration cycle is so much longer (a downside in one way) so you get more accessories and apps and acceptance and early adoption (an upside).
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    218 Global Posts

why are u guys trying to do such intensive PC type work on an ipad? u really havent figured out its just a big ipod touch? yea the playbook can multitask better, but how much work could u possibly do while swapping back n forth from a movie to a text doc on a 7in touch screen? or 9in for that matter? did u really buy an ipad with hopes of if replacing your computer? you realize you could have bought a latop or netbook for the same or less right?
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    iOS Version

The iPad is meant, and was created, to run one application at a time to completely submerge the user into the experience of that application in order to make it simpler for the user, faster, and more efficient. But it still comes down to if it is the tool for the job. For me, I use it for everything, including my college papers and power points, picture and movie editing, all email and scheduling and note taking. For what I use it for its outstanding but that fact is the iPad wasn't created for the specific experience your looking for because there's no possible way it could run that experience of watching a movie and typing a full fledged stack of notes on the smaller screen. I would probably say either take the notes on your iPad while watching the movie on a tv or some other screen to have the best experience for yourself, or a full fledged laptop could easily work out for you. Even this though you are toggling and minimizing to get between the notes and movie and could easily miss key segments.
    Now as for the android tablets being more powerful and better for a work environment than the iPad? This is completely false. Personally I own the new iPad and the asus transformer prime ( which we can all agree is the best android tablet out on the market right now) and the lack of tablet applications I've found is astonishing! I've literally only found probably about ten applications that successfully take advantage of a bigger display on a tablet on the asus that have a great ui, and don't just look completely like a stretched out phone application. Many of the work and note taking applications I've bought that co-exist on the iPad are filled with tiny links that have you trying to pinpoint your finger in the exact spot to get it to work, spending twice to time you would be typing your paper trying to find the hidden menu's to access settings that are laided out in easy and well thought out formats on the iPad versions, and as well as having to restart at least once a day my last 30 minutes of work because either the browsers crashed, or ice cream sandwich has crashed, or my application has crashed once again. I don't deny that the android phones have some amazing capabilities, they're great phones, but when it comes to tablets, there isn't even an argument to make on what tablet system is the best existing out there. The not only media but content creation and actually work ABILITIES that exist on the iPad are completely unmatched.
    Ipad2 and Mac mini 2.5ghz Sandy bridge
    Apple Boy!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast