How to watch AVI and MKV files on the iPad

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
While there are different ways of watching AVI and MKV video files on the iPad, I use the Air Video app.

I just leave all the AVI and MKV files on my home machine (technically a Drobo connected to my home machine) and transcode them on the fly with Air Video while streaming to my iPad.

It's much faster than transferring or syncing files and saves a lot more space than storing them locally on my computer.

Anyone use a different method to watch AVI and MKV files on their iPad? Any big advantages to doing it locally?

dndrich

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't keep a server running. I just convert or rip with Handbrake. Works really well. Handbrake has a preset for iPad. With 64 bit Handbrake on my MacBook it converts quickly. I even rip my DVDs that I own. You have to install a library for unlocking DVDs but handbrake prompts you to do that. Works great. Of course, you have to transfer via USB.

Chris Parsons

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
I use CineXPlayer on my iPad or I just use Plex. Used to spend a lot of time converting movies but encoding on the fly from my MacBook Pro is just so much easier nowadays.

Cool76017

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Rip DVD using MakeMKV, then transferring .mkv file to SD card to play on Airstash device, but use AcePlayer app on iPad to connect to Airstash and watching .mkv's (Airstash app itself doesn't support MKV). Or, transfer .mkv files to external hard drive and connect it to CloudFTP device and use AcePlayer to watch MKV's.

MaximusT

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I bought OPlayer a long time ago for my iPhone4 (a few days after I got my iPhone).
App Store - OPlayer

It turned out to be a great purchase.
It can play almost any file I throw at it, and plays smoothly.
Movies & TV Shows take less room in some formats (mkv) so being able to pack more on my device means that I can watch for longer.

I can only assume it is just as great for the iPad.

anon(1019781)

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Goodplayer is probably the best solution for playing those files natively. Universal app, costs 3 bucks, updated often, dev listens to users, and I get great performance on all the material I pirate since I'd never actually pay for the content I play on my iDevice but I will for software that is that well maintained.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I convert most video with handbrake. When i'm too lazy, i use air video which can also air play to apple tv. Also use that when I'm away from home to stream any video from computer.

infoghost

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I use Air Video at home, but if I need to load a movie or clip, I use AcePlayer. I've tried all the paid/free options, and AcePlayer is the one that consistently can play most clips without issue.

dominirican

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I am not interested in streaming over a home network. From what I see there is no way to play a mkv video on the ipad natively without a jailbreak. I don't see a way to get an mkv video file to the ipad either.

All you need to download is OplayerHD you add the mkv file over wifi or plug it in through itunes in the app page and manually add it. I use it for my iphone and on my ipad plays without a problem

infoghost

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I am not interested in streaming over a home network. From what I see there is no way to play a mkv video on the ipad natively without a jailbreak. I don't see a way to get an mkv video file to the ipad either.

Any of the below apps are available on the app store and will play MKV files without a jailbreak.

AcePlayer
Azul Media Player
Good Player
Flex:player
OPlyer HD
etc, etc.

Just go to the app store and search MKV. To get the file on the ipad, drag it into the proper app under the APP section of itunes.

Padron26

May 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks infoghost, I was just about to ask what you explained

I've been using avs converter for pc, it is pretty good but it takes a while to figure out what resolution works best. It also takes about 45 min to convert a Mkv.

Woohoo my first post, long time reader. Short time member ;)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2