Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    5,568 Global Posts

air video.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Default MKV to iPad 3 Converter- Transfer 720p/1080p MKV to iPad 3 for enjoying

In my experience, you'd better use a top Video Converter to help you convert Videos like MKV to H.264 MP4 for playing on iPad 3. It has no limit conditions and works fast. The most important is that you can freely choose the output format in different video quality.

iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Default convert Videos like MKV to H.264 MP4 for playing on iPad 3 in1080p or 720p

Hope it is useful for you.
    Last edited by jssqmaty; 09-06-2012 at 07:21 PM.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by Rene Ritchie View Post
    While there are different ways of watching AVI and MKV video files on the iPad, I use the Air Video app.

I just leave all the AVI and MKV files on my home machine (technically a Drobo connected to my home machine) and transcode them on the fly with Air Video while streaming to my iPad.

It's much faster than transferring or syncing files and saves a lot more space than storing them locally on my computer.

Anyone use a different method to watch AVI and MKV files on their iPad? Any big advantages to doing it locally?
    I have the VLC iOS client (got it before Apple pulled)... works great... but if you didn't get it then, you can't get it now. Still don't understand how that works...
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    2,464 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by dndrich View Post
    I don't keep a server running. I just convert or rip with Handbrake. Works really well. Handbrake has a preset for iPad. With 64 bit Handbrake on my MacBook it converts quickly. I even rip my DVDs that I own. You have to install a library for unlocking DVDs but handbrake prompts you to do that. Works great. Of course, you have to transfer via USB.
    Does Handbrake really convert AVI Files? I did not know that....
    "If at first you don't succeed, hide all evidence you've tried"... -- Terrence C.

iPhone 5S 64GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad 4 128GB + LTE, iPad mini Retina 128GB + LTE, iPad 2 64GB Wifi, Apple TV 2 & 3, MacBook Pro 15 (Early 2011), iMac (2008 Intel), Powerbook G4, 2 Powerbook G3's, indigo iMac
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by dndrich View Post
    What do you mean by this? I have VLC on my Mac, but how does that help you watch videos on your iPad?
    There was a VLC client for iOS back in the day... Apple pulled it from the App Store several years ago... but if you managed to get it before it was yanked, you can keep using it... there are a few of us still around...
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by DaPhoneking View Post
    Does Handbrake really convert AVI Files? I did not know that....
    Yep. I've done that a few times, too... just open it as a source file and watch it go.
    iMore Newbie

iOS Version

I have iOS VLC as well installed on all my iDevices. But there is also GoodPlayer you can buy for cheap that read almost anything media
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: How to watch AVI and MKV files on the iPad

Except these viewers, you can also convert avi and mkv video files to iPad compatible formats by some video converters. I'm now using this one: kvisoft.com/video-converter/
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

Don't waste time converting - trust me don't listen to these guys. Just download avplayer hd for 2.99 - simple, it works and is hassle free.
    iPhone Nanite

iOS Version

iPad 3rd Gen now supports 1080p MP4. More specs quoted from http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

MKV is not supported format. Refer to the below guide if you'd like to preserve 1080p quality:
    ipad-converters.org/mkv-to-new-ipad-3/
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version
    5.1.1 / 6

Air Video FTW!!!
    Check out my band DreadCircus - http://www.jadestarr.com.au
    iPhone 5 64GB / iPad mini 16GB / iPad 2 64GB / Apple TV / MacBook Pro
    Team Jailbreak!!!
    iPhone Nanite

I used to use Air Video ... but now use Plex. Plex is a complete media environment, linking in to user-created movie and tv databases.
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

You can try HD Player.
    HD Player is a desktop class video player on iOS that can support MKV videos up to 1080p.
    Full support for style subtitle.
    iMore Nanite

The best method that i use to play mkv files on iPhone is to use "iFunBox". First you have to install "VLC" app in your device from "App Store". Now simply connect your device whether it is iPhone or iPad etc, and launch iFunBox. On top left corner there is an option "iFunBox Classic" click on it and your connected device will be there double click on it and look for an option "Raw File System" and open it. Then look for "User" folder and open it then open "Applications" folder. All apps installed on your device will be listed there. Now look for "VLC" app and open it now open the folder "Documents". The only thing that you have to do now is to copy your mkv or other format files in this folder by using "Copy from PC" option. After your files been copied open "VLC" app in your device and play the files and VOILAAAAA.....
    iMore Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by infoghost View Post
    There are plenty of apps, many mentioned in this thread that play videos without needing conversion.
    Tell me how to do it

Global Posts
    20,119 Global Posts
    iOS Version

iMore Nanite

is probably one of the best commercial choices though. I've been using it for a while now.

Or . But this software is to complicate to handle and can't support MOV as output format.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12