Wi-Fi problems with the new iPad

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Every year there seems to be reports of Wi-Fi -- or wifi if you prefer -- problems with the new iPad. This year is no exception, with drops, inability to find networks, and slow speeds all being listed as causes for concern. A leaked AppleCare memo from 9to5Mac shows Apple might be capturing iPad 3's (taking them back and exchanging them) to troubleshoot.

Anyone had any Wi-Fi issues? Anyone taken their iPad back and gotten it exchanged? Is the wifi better now if so?

Did any trouble-shooting help? (reset, reboot, restore?)

radamo

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I actually compared mine (received my pre-order on launch day) against my iPad 2. I walked all over my house. I included both floors, the garage, the back yard the front yard etc... The new iPad exhibited the same coverage and speed as my iPad 2. I ran the tests from each consecutively in order to not have one unit override the other. Some tests I ran on the 2 first and others on the 3 (new) first. Mine does not exhibit any difference from my 2.

I will however point out that my original iPad which has since been sold, had very weak coverage and slow connections issues. This was especially true with the originally delivered ios version (was it 4.0.3?), I really don't recall at this point.

RA

hellomiggy

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
My GF notices on her iPad 2, that her Wifi doesn't connect quick or it losses connection. Just from walking in and out of our office building, where we work. There is a lot of Wifi around our building, she's only connected to two, One from my computer, and the other from her grandmothers office, which is the connection she get's outside, because it's closer. Usually before it would switch wi-fi spots instantly, now it doesn't. She's usually getting mad at it, it's quite funny when she's watching her Netflix and a good spot in her show and boom disconnected! It has to be something in 5.1, because the 5.1 beta, it worked without a problem, now it just sucks. My new iPad is fine though, haven't had a problem with it.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I had WiFi issues with the iPad 1 where is would lose a connection a lot and I was always having to reset the network in order to correct the problem. The iPad 2 had issues with WiFi as well, but not as bad. So far, my iPad 3 has had no issues with WiFi at all.

Sent from my iPad 4G using Tapatalk HD.

DarkBosskee

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I have a 64gig Wi-Fi 3rd Gen. After reading this forum I think for sure I'm having this issue.. I have a Netgear N600 dual band router, also have a WDR3800 model. I try swapping them to see if the they are the issue and notice that only the iPad was losing connection. Try checking the connection on the iPhone4s and the iPod that I have and they never lost connection... Only the iPad seem to not find or when it found the SSID it will lose signal.. I notice this specially while playing any sort of game that required a connection and the usual Netflix or Hulu+ streaming.

arcadelion

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
This story worries me. I have had problems with my new iPad where the wifi connection drops off.
I live in an apartment, so I'm never too far away from my router.
What should I do?

*Note: My wife has never told me she's had issues with her wifi model iPad 2

Last edited:

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Can't say I've noticed any issues with my 64gb wifi.

Where's the wifi antenna located on the iPad? I thought I remember reading somewhere it was at the bottom near the home button, but I could be wrong.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
Yes, you're correct. My 1st gen wifi/ATT version has never had any wi-fi issues but it makes total sense that the extra antenna reception real estate would be a positive thing for both systems IMHO.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Every year there seems to be reports of Wi-Fi -- or wifi if you prefer -- problems with the new iPad. This year is no exception, with drops, inability to find networks, and slow speeds all being listed as causes for concern. A leaked AppleCare memo from 9to5Mac shows Apple might be capturing iPad 3's (taking them back and exchanging them) to troubleshoot.

Anyone had any Wi-Fi issues? Anyone taken their iPad back and gotten it exchanged? Is the wifi better now if so?

Did any trouble-shooting help? (reset, reboot, restore?)

One thing that was left out of this post is that the WiFi issue only seems to be a problem on the WiFi models of the new iPad only at this time according to what was mentioned here: http://9to5mac.com/2012/04/04/apple...es-tells-applecare-to-replace-affected-units/

Sent from my iPad 4G using Tapatalk HD.

Caballera

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I'm not experiencing any wifi issues on my 32GB WiFi new iPad. I stream TV Shows thru Home Sharing (from my MacBook Pro) all the time and there's never been a hiccup.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I still wonder if this is related to my other post about the fact that even when connected to WiFi I have data usage from AT&T so I had to turn off Cellular Data unless I need it?

Other than that issue WiFi has been fine 32GB AT&T iPad 3rd Gen.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I still wonder if this is related to my other post about the fact that even when connected to WiFi I have data usage from AT&T so I had to turn off Cellular Data unless I need it?

Other than that issue WiFi has been fine 32GB AT&T iPad 3rd Gen.

No, this is not the same. If you don't want to use cellular data the best thing to do is turn it off while you are using WiFi.

MikeWoot

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
WiFi issues

I've been noticing poor Wifi connectivity on my new iPad; not range or speed, simply the occasional "Unable to Join" message on networks I've already setup and have had working.

It also once or twice just disconnected from my home network for no reason. In those instances I could see at the top of the iPad that I was connected to Wifi, and when I opened the mail app the icon disappeared and I started to get messages saying it could not connect to my mail servers.

rew001

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Connected to my 5ghz wifi with no issues on my 32gig LTE version. Wife's 32gig wifi version connects with no issues either. Wifi range seems excellent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

racedog

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Signal drops

I have the wifi only ipad and it loses signal occasionally and without warning. Both my phone and my wife's phone continue to have a solid wifi signal when the ipad loses the signal. Sometimes it will reappear on its own and sometimes the signal is just very low and the ipad moves data very slowly. Again, two phones are working fine when this happens.

Overall the new ipad is nice and the screen is exceptional but the wifi issue has me re-considering this purchase.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods