Did you choose Verizon or At&t and why?

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
People are getting the Verizon version because they can use it on AT&T as well, but just remember...it will not work on AT&T LTE. Just 3G. Not sure about the "4G". AT&T seems to hit the sweet spot of data allowance, 3GB (I say sweet spot because 3GB probably will satisfy the vast majority) for the same price as Verizon's 2GB. And I bet it's just a matter of time before AT&T opens up the hotspot feature. They won't let Verizon 1 up them for very long. I've also noticed multiple nationwide 4G outages, and many regional 4G outages as of late on Verizon. So for these reasons, and a few others, I took my Verizon one back and got the AT&T one. No complaints so far :)

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
I have the AT&T model because... well, those are the ones we get on base out here and on island (Japan) with SoftBank, where $840 got me the 32GB LTE version and a YEAR of unlimited data. The $30/mo plan is probably what I'd do back home anyway, and you get more GB with AT&T, so it works out there.

Where at in Japan? I was stationed in Okinawa in 1995.

Motorbones

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I have used Verizon since it was Airtouch Cellular in the late 90's. We've always had great service, support and connectivity. There were times when I could get a signal from Verizon when no one else could. Bottom line... best coverage for us... That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!
.:D

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I want to see someone's Verizon LTE speeds in NYC as I get pretty much 19/20 down and 19/20 up mid-afternoon in time square.

People say it's because not many people are on AT&T's LTE network now, but isn't that a good thing? I rather not share my speeds.

Like someone else stated earlier... I can fall back on HSPA+ with AT&T.

I also have 5 lines on AT&T (all of which are mine), so it was that easy to just use one of those unused lines as my iPad line.

l.i bruce fan

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I went with Verizon, mainly b/c my iPhone is on AT&T and I didn't want everything on the same network, the more mature LTE network here and elsewhere and the free hotspot. The ability to swap sims and fall back to AT&T 3G is just a bonus.

anon(279851)

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I went with Verizon as well as AT&T does not offer 4g in Cincinnati as of this moment. my iPhone is with AT&T. I have to admit it was a tough choice at first; but in the end I believe I made the right choice for my needs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

lonbeehold

May 29, 2009
Visit site
I went with Verizon for my iPad 2 because their pricing structure fit my needs better than AT&T's, I was hopeful that I'd get coverage in areas where I lost my AT&T signal on my iPhone and it was the last black 32GB 3G iPad2 at the Apple store. I was happy with their service and I wanted an easy transition to my new iPad plan wise, so I went with them again. They have more LTE coverage in my area than AT&T does at present and I like having the personal hotspot feature.

gern blanston

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I went with AT&T because I'm grandfathered in their unlimited data plan, and I'm in the Dallas area, and we have good LTE coverage here (headquarters is here). AT&T says that they won't throttle unlimited iPad users, but we'll how long that they stay with that position. I don't travel much, either. If it hadn't been for the unlimited plan, I would have gone with Verizon, no contest.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I went with AT&T. Out here in Alaska, there are no Verizon towers. Some people have Verizon phones, but they roam off local partners in the state. While Verizon is coming to the state, nobody has LTE here, and AT&T already has a good established footprint. There is no LTE in the state, but I travel a bunch to the lower 48 and will want that speed when I'm there.

Chop

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I was at Yokota AB in Oct 79 when Typhoon Tip came calling ( Typhoon Tip - ). What a nightmare that was with the medical emergency we had to deal with.... Earthquakes in Calif aren't so bad after all...

Typhoons on Oki are strange - the storms are bigger than the island itself, so you get hit twice each time. Yokota is nice... have gone up there quite a bit. The last huge one was a mess (I'm medical as well).

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I went with AT&T because I'm grandfathered in their unlimited data plan, and I'm in the Dallas area, and we have good LTE coverage here (headquarters is here). AT&T says that they won't throttle unlimited iPad users, but we'll how long that they stay with that position. I don't travel much, either. If it hadn't been for the unlimited plan, I would have gone with Verizon, no contest.

Best reason I seen yet. I would have gone with AT&T if I had unlimited. Small LTE map or not.

hellomiggy

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
You go places, but you don't want to take a lot of stuff with you, that being said I always drive. My GF usually is on the passenger side. I never get to play with my iPad in the car. Knowing Verizon Wireless has been out for quite sometime now. Plus, now experiencing it now on my new iPad. It's fast and I don't have to worry about speed, because I know it will be quick. Thinking about AT&T, while I was in the line waiting to get my iPad. I was on Gizmodo.com, I guess with all the hooplah going on about the new iPad. An article came out about which one was quicker VZW or AT&T. Well It was no contest VZW won. It also stated that the 2nd Gen iPad on 3G was quicker than the new iPad, which has LTE in it. Now, I'm not sure where they did this test in, a place with quick VZW LTE or no AT&T LTE. I changed my mind, kept on thinking, if I am going to move to Santa Barbara soon, maybe I won't need an internet connection. We can just the iPad as a Hot Spot. So pretty much VZW LTE is there, and AT&T isn't in Santa Barbara, just yet. Well I don't know maybe it is. Can't tell because the map of the 4G area sucks on AT&T. I am happy with VZW for once, I once hated it, because it was so bad at my house. In my area though, doing a speed test once, I got an upload speed that was quicker than my Download speed. Oh to think of the stuff you can download with that.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Well, I gave in. Got the new iPad and thought about it. I'm already with AT&T so I went with the AT&T version. I would have liked Verizon but the plan isn't good enough. Especially with free hotspot. I'd
definitely go over.

Last edited:

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You go places, but you don't want to take a lot of stuff with you, that being said I always drive. My GF usually is on the passenger side. I never get to play with my iPad in the car. Knowing Verizon Wireless has been out for quite sometime now. Plus, now experiencing it now on my new iPad. It's fast and I don't have to worry about speed, because I know it will be quick. Thinking about AT&T, while I was in the line waiting to get my iPad. I was on Gizmodo.com, I guess with all the hooplah going on about the new iPad. An article came out about which one was quicker VZW or AT&T. Well It was no contest VZW won. It also stated that the 2nd Gen iPad on 3G was quicker than the new iPad, which has LTE in it. Now, I'm not sure where they did this test in, a place with quick VZW LTE or no AT&T LTE. I changed my mind, kept on thinking, if I am going to move to Santa Barbara soon, maybe I won't need an internet connection. We can just the iPad as a Hot Spot. So pretty much VZW LTE is there, and AT&T isn't in Santa Barbara, just yet. Well I don't know maybe it is. Can't tell because the map of the 4G area sucks on AT&T. I am happy with VZW for once, I once hated it, because it was so bad at my house. In my area though, doing a speed test once, I got an upload speed that was quicker than my Download speed. Oh to think of the stuff you can download with that.

Speed test comparisons are only fair if they are being done in an area that has good LTE coverage for both carriers networks. I've seen speed test results on other forums where both AT&T and Verizon run LTE and AT&T was definitely faster. Only In a few months when AT&T rolls out LTE in more markets can one get an accurate account of which carrier is going to be faster. Also, the AT&T iPad is capable of falling back on their HSPA+ network in areas where LTE is unavailable. Verizon's iPad is going to fall back on their much slower 3G network.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro