Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Exclamation I need help with battery life

*Note: The new iPad is my first iOS device*

So I hear how great the battery life is from other users, but I'm not getting the same results.
    I have the wifi only model, and I mainly use it to surf the web and watch downloaded movies from iTunes.
    I watched a movie for about 1 hour yesterday, and my battery went down by 10%!

Which of the following could be factors:
    -I have the brightness setting at 100%
    -Sound volume is usually 100% as well
    -I also have about 20-25 apps giving me push notifications

What would you suggest I do to stretch my battery life the best?
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I would turn down the brightness to around 20-30% or as low as you can and still be able to see your screen.
    iPhone 4S ~ 32GB ~ Verizon
    Twitter
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Actually that does not sound too bad. 10% after an hour of video. Like mentioned you can turn down the brightness a bit but I doubt that will improve it that much.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts

it sounds exactly right - think about it, the wifi model claims a 10 hour battery life, you watched a movie for 1 hour and battery decreased by 10% - that equals exactly 10 hours of battery life (10% for every hour 10 hrs x10 % = 100%)
    lv1
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by @ArcadeLion View Post
    *Note: The new iPad is my first iOS device*

So I hear how great the battery life is from other users, but I'm not getting the same results.
    I have the wifi only model, and I mainly use it to surf the web and watch downloaded movies from iTunes.
    I watched a movie for about 1 hour yesterday, and my battery went down by 10%!

Which of the following could be factors:
    -I have the brightness setting at 100%
    -Sound volume is usually 100% as well
    -I also have about 20-25 apps giving me push notifications

What would you suggest I do to stretch my battery life the best?
    I first thought you were kidding with your post. The advertised battery life is abouit 10 hours. You used the device at 100 % brightness and full volume with 25 push notifications and after watching a 1 hour video the battery life dropped by 10%? That sounds like your IPad is working great. To extend it more decrease brightness to about 60%, decreas volume and stop the push notifications unless you really need to have them. Disable wifi if you do not need it.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by laslo View Post
    I first thought you were kidding with your post. The advertised battery life is abouit 10 hours. You used the device at 100 % brightness and full volume with 25 push notifications and after watching a 1 hour video the battery life dropped by 10%? That sounds like your IPad is working great. To extend it more decrease brightness to about 60%, decreas volume and stop the push notifications unless you really need to have them. Disable wifi if you do not need it.
    I've heard people say they use their iPad's like crazy only to have their battery decrease by 2-3%, so I didn't know if I was doing something wrong.
    I'll decrease the brightness and review which push notifications I really need.
    Thanks.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    9,184 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by @ArcadeLion View Post
    I've heard people say they use their iPad's like crazy only to have their battery decrease by 2-3%, so I didn't know if I was doing something wrong.
    I'll decrease the brightness and review which push notifications I really need.
    Thanks.
    Don't worry. As others have said that usage and battery life drop seems normal for sure. )
    iPhone Newbie

Mine is worse than yours! I am considering purchasing a new one!