Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    519 Global Posts

Default Verizon 4Gvs. 3G

loving my new iPad, except for one thing. As of this weekend, Verizon LTE is not working, despite showing 4-5 bars. however, when I disable LTE, the 3G connection seems perfectly fine.

Yes, I am in an LTE area.

LTE was fine all week; has been a problem only since the weekend. March Madness? Too many new iPads? one thing for sure.... not a great incentive to upgrade iPhone to LTE when it comes out (in the fall)...

what experiences are others having?
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,253 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Verizon has had LTE outages in the past few months. But that should not effect 3G as it's a different network.

Have you tried resetting your iPad and connecting again?
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Also I found out that Verzion has there LTE network in two parts the prepaid and postpaid if you did the prepaid it may show a good signal but it will not work. That why I had to switch to post paid.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    5,548 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by appliancemedic View Post
    Also I found out that Verzion has there LTE network in two parts the prepaid and postpaid if you did the prepaid it may show a good signal but it will not work. That why I had to switch to post paid.
    Shouldn't be a difference there. Postpaid just allows data roaming in extended areas off of other carriers, usually the smaller rural ones.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    iOS Version

All I can tell you that their is a different in Dayton Ohio area . That per Verizon .
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,096 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I was told by a Vzn rep who is a personal friend to go post paid due to a bigger and better footprint
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I am glad to know that I was not the only one to be told than. It would be nice if apple would let you know that there is a difference.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    3,249 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.xx

My Verizon guy said there was no difference. Can someone post some sources that I could give/show him and my employer? Would love to switch the post paid instead of prepaid if there is indeed a benefit.

On my old AT&T iPad prepaid, I was able to login to account and view data left for the month. Really miss this. Verizon business account won't let me.

Thanks, Cody
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Here what I can tell you in Xenia Ohio with a new iPad at the Verzion store on prepaid no LTE but the thunderbolt had LTE postpaid. I then had the new iPad switch to postpaid it then had LTE .
    Second you are right about not being able to check your data use on postpaid it does not work like prepaid. You have to use the myverizon app. Now as far as AT&T goes they do not divide there network it is the same prepaid or postpaid
    Carrier: AT&T & Vzn
    Devices: iPhone 4S, iPad LTE
    It's: Stock
    iOS Version: 5.1
    iPhone Nanite

So how do you sign up for post paid vs. pre paid? I am getting ready to purchase and after reading this I know I want post paid, how can I assure that? Does who you order from matter? Apple vs. Verizon, does that have anything to do with it? Please explain to a newbie. Thank you.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Your best way is to go to a Verzion corporate store and tell them you want to change from prepaid to postpaid . That what I did.
    Carrier: AT&T & Vzn
    Devices: iPhone 4S, iPad LTE
    It's: Stock
    iOS Version: 5.1
    Thanked by:
    Cedelchef (04-01-2012)
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    541 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    My Verizon guy said there was no difference. Can someone post some sources that I could give/show him and my employer? Would love to switch the post paid instead of prepaid if there is indeed a benefit.

On my old AT&T iPad prepaid, I was able to login to account and view data left for the month. Really miss this. Verizon business account won't let me.

Thanks, Cody
    You can also download an app that tracks how much data you have used and have it give you warnings as soon as you hit certain thresholds.

Sent from my Photon