Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default The new iPad - 2 weeks later

I would like to wish my new iPad a Happy 1 Week Anniversary ;-)

Having said that, what are your thoughts on your new iPad after using it for one week?

My thoughts:
    -Feels warm during heavy use, but this my first iPad so I don't know if this is to be expected.
    -Should have gone with a 64 GB model, but will make do with my 32 GB
    -Think the battery drains faster than I expected on an iOS device, but that may be due to I having the brightness set to max
    -Searching for the best comic book reader. I like Comics by comiXology, but wish comics were all in retina display :-\
    -Contemplating switching from gmail to iCloud
    -Is the iPhoto app worth it?
    Last edited by @ArcadeLion; 03-30-2012 at 10:06 AM.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts
    iOS Version

-Not getting the warm thing here
    -LTE is awesome. Now take iPad many places
    -battery life seems the same as 2. Even with LTE.
    -Retina is amazing. Voice dictation is wonderfully too.
    -Camera is very much improved. Can actually take a nice pic now.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    iOS Version

- Mine gets slightly warm, but hardly a problem
    - the battery takes about an hour longer to charge than the original iPad
    - there seems to be a slight battery drainage when the iPad is in standby, but only about 1 to 2%
    - when you look at the new retina display on the new iPad, you'll never want to look at a previous version again.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    931 Global Posts

Battery gets expectantly warm during air supremacy.
    Much more fluid and stable then my android.
    Battery is lasting longer then expected.
    I wish my wifi version had a gps chip in it.
    Glad I did 64gb.
    A lot of my hd anime looks really good, gotta resize my movies though.
    Need a good case for it, still haven't decided.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    - Mine gets slightly warm, but hardly a problem
    - the battery takes about an hour longer to charge than the original iPad
    - there seems to be a slight battery drainage when the iPad is in standby, but only about 1 to 2%
    - when you look at the new retina display on the new iPad, you'll never want to look at a previous version again.
    Pretty much agree with this summary!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

After one week I can't look at any other display without seeing the pixels pop out at me. Speaks volumes as to just how good the this new display is.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    iOS Version

My laptop hurts my eyes. I plan to do as much work on my iPad as I can and may even considering passing my MacBook Pro on to my daughter. I am "Post PC".

Sent from my *new* iPad using Tapatalk HD
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by teejaywhy View Post
    My laptop hurts my eyes. I plan to do as much work on my iPad as I can and may even considering passing my MacBook Pro on to my daughter. I am "Post PC".

Sent from my *new* iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I wish I could be post PC. The ONLY thing, and I truly mean the ONLY thing holding me back from doing so is gaming. Obviously mobile gaming has yet to catch up with PC gaming. Once it does, though, I'm gone... "Post PC" shall rule my world.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    19,947 Global Posts

I have great vision, but I don't, nor do any of my coworkers see a difference really. It may be because of the content we were watching.... the 'Trailers' application by Apple.

My device gets a bit warm and the battery seems okay. Does seem to take longer to charge. With my iPad 2, I could turn off the device to charge and come back to 80% from being around 20%-30%. With the new iPad, it seems like it'll go up to about 10% more than when I first turned it off.

I may actually go down to the 16gb version. Not sure yet.
    Last edited by Duvi; 03-23-2012 at 11:36 PM.

Current Phones: iOS, Android, Windows Phone, BlackBerry OS & WebOS
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    IOS 5.1

-Sure my device gets warm but doesn't burn my hand otherwise I'd have another electric stove
    -Games function very nice with the HD being added and has me off of my xbox in the last week
    -The retina display has me looking at my Samsung Infuse like it's an communist trying to take over the world
    -Voice dictation has gotten me more lazier that I yell at my Andriod phone as to why it's not cooperating with what I said
    -The pictures and videos look good that I may be the next Steven Spielberg
    -Facetime is great that I use it as much as possible,even to tell my gf that we need more TP
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I really love my new iPad. I got the 64gb wifi I wanted the 32 gb but they only had the 64 gb left. I have 3 weeks to exchange it. I probably could get survive on 16gb, but I want the extra room just in case.
    Mine only got warm once, when it was struggling to get a signal. I was using my phone as a hotspot and wasn't in a good area for service.
    I love the clarity of the display. Easier on the eyes when I read.
    I am coming from a Motorola Xoom which is nice but the content leaves much to be desired. Going to sell it.
    I haven't tried facetime, but I may try it this weekend.
    If there was a way to get Facebook games to work on the iPad, I wouldn't use my laptop at all!
    I love the battery life! Just with my regular use, Email, facebook, twitter and reading etc, I get a couple days before I charge it. I haven't let it drain to zero so I probably could go longer.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0 b.1

-Beautiful Screen
    -Great to read comics and e-zines.
    -Does get a little warm, but I don't care.
    -Videos look amazing on here.
    -Hard to put down
    -Battery life hasn't died on me, AMAZING BATTERY LIFE.
    -Verizon LTE is fast, haven't had any slow data speeds.
    -Camera looks better than the iPhone 4.

Global Posts
    3,623 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I love mine. I a, finding that I am using it more than my iPad 2. Love the new screen. I can't give up my MacBook pro yet, but love having this for casual use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    jsntrenkler
    Mobile Gear: Retina Macbook Pro 13 / iPad Air / iPhone 5S / Pebble Smartwatch
    Community Rules & Guidelines
    iPhone Nanite

iOS Version

The retina display is mind blowing. Only negative issue is the battery performance in comparison to the iPad 2. It takes much longer to charge at 100% and when using graphic intensive games or safari it drains faster.
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS6

One week and two days and I'm still in love
    -The display is just off the charts amazing. So much better for all of the reading I do, both books and magazines. I don't zoom nearly as much as I did with my 2.
    - Glad I went from 32 to 64. Mags can take up lots of space and I like them all on my device
    -Speaking of mags, download speed much faster than with my 2
    -Battery does take longer to charge but I am finding battery life same as my 2.
    -Using data in the same manner as I did with my 2 and not finding that LTE is blowing thru my plan
    -Gets a little warm but not a big deal
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    546 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Has anyone noticed that when using an iphone app on the new ipad and using it under 2x to get the big screen effect there is very little distortion? not like the ipad 2, this is really nice!
    Douglas Wilson
    Verizon iPhone 6 plus 64G and iPad 4G 32GB
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by douglaswilson View Post
    Has anyone noticed that when using an iphone app on the new ipad and using it under 2x to get the big screen effect there is very little distortion? not like the ipad 2, this is really nice!
    Yup I did notice that. Using Path and Instagram isn't half bad now.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,022 Global Posts

I upgraded from an iPad 1 16GB Wi-Fi to a 64GB Wi-Fi:

-Mine only gets a little warm during heavy gaming, so no worries there.
    -Battery life is great.
    -Soooooooo happy I stepped up the storage, no more picking and choosing movies and then thinking if an app was too big or not.
    -I was not concerned with the Retina display, I thought the iPad 1 & 2 displays were more than decent. That being said this screen is absolutely amazing! Videos and apps are nice, but the text is great. I could never step down now, thanks Apple.
    -As far as taking longer to charge, 90% of the time I charge overnight so it is of minimal impact to me under normal use.
  19. Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by douglaswilson View Post
    Is it because many of the apps were already modified for retina display for the iPhone?
    I can definitely tell the difference looking at the app on my wife's iPad 2 to my 3rd gen iPad.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    484 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Duvi View Post
    I have great vision, but I don't, nor do any of my coworkers see a difference really. It may be because of the content we were watching.... the 'Trailers' application by Apple.

My device gets a bit warm and the battery seems okay. Does seem to take longer to charge. With my iPad 2, I could turn off the device to charge and come back to 80% from being around 20%-30%. With the new iPad, it seems like it'll go up to about 10% more than when I first turned it off.

I may actually go down to the 16gb version. Not sure yet.
    Try using your iPad 2 again after using the New IPad for an hour or so.... The old screen will literally look awful. I know that it isn't that bad on the 2, but it will look that way every time. The difference is there big time.

Couldn't go back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts

I upgraded from an original iPad and can't believe how great the New iPad is. Multi-touch gestures are instantaneous now - and awesome! Text looks like high contrast liquid ink. Its fast and beautiful. My laptops and desktop just gather dust now unless I need to print something.
    iMore Pro

iOS Version

I just use Google Cloud to print. Never use my desktop anymore. And it's a Mac! Lol
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts

But with Google cloud don't you have to leave a computer running to act as a print server? Thats like leaving 100w + bulb on all the time.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

I traded the 32GB iPad in for the 64GB iPad yesterday and I'm glad I did. That said since the only difference between the two is memory I'll comment on my first week anyway. The new iPad is a lot faster for web browsing thanks to AT&T's HSPA+ network in my area (no LTE here yet). Also, anyone claiming to have seen the iPad 2 and 3 together and not tell the difference between the two screens is kidding themselves. There is a big difference between the two, heck, my husband noticed it as soon as I first booted my new iPad up. The battery life so far is nothing short of amazing. I'm getting 3 days out of a charge, about 9 1/2 hours of usage which is pretty darn good considering the amount of juice that it takes to power this beast. Dictation is another added plus for the new iPad and a feature that I've found very useful so far. I am really glad Apple started offering AppleCare+ as I feel like I can actually enjoy it more without having to carry it from room to room as if it were a new born. Definitely going to be nice in the summer time as I am sitting by the pool for 3+ hours waiting for my kids swim meets to end. So, one week later and I still love my new iPad.

Sent from my iPad 4G using Tapatalk HD.
    Last edited by Irish Rose; 03-27-2012 at 06:17 PM.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    931 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c.hack View Post
    But with Google cloud don't you have to leave a computer running to act as a print server? Thats like leaving 100w + bulb on all the time.
    Not if you have a wifi printer like mine. As long as its one of the google cloud compatible printers then google cloud will wake the printer without the old man in the middle desktop needed by older printers. So no 100w light bulb .
    Thanked by:
    c_hack (03-27-2012)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast