Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By slide
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Magazines/Newsstand

I thought about subscribing to a couple of magazines using my iPad. However, a lot of the magazines have bad reviews. People indicate that they crash a lot, have trouble downloading them and have subscriptions go missing just to name a few of the problems I've read in the reviews. Is this common? Anyone have good experiences?

The magazines I've been looking at are popular magazines too (Car & Driver and Motor Trend) so I would think that they would be more likely to keep up to date with the digital world. Before I go spending money I would like to know if these reviews are accurate or from people who don't really know what they are doing. LOL They also say there is no background downloading and that you have to keep the app up and running while it downloads or you have to start the download all over again from the beginning.

Thoughts, suggestions or advise greatly appreciated!
    ~Jimmers aka @Harley_Dude on Twitter. Follow me. I always follow back.
    iPhone Intermediate

I sub to a few magazines using the Zinio app. I dislike the UI for the app but can muddle through using it. The magazines I sub to, though, look good and now in hi rez are as readable as the print versions.

The only downside is that moving from the iPad 2 to the 3's higher rez causes Zinio to take a few seconds per page to get to full resolution.

I've never had a crash with Zinio.

Global Posts
    11,065 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I had PopSci, PopMech, and Readers Digest on the original iPad... things with the newsstand app got progressively better with each app update, and would occasionally crash... performance on the new iPad is much better... the apps seem to be better suited to the specs of the new device, and screen readability is nothing less than friggin awesome.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    I sub to a few magazines using the Zinio app. I dislike the UI for the app but can muddle through using it. The magazines I sub to, though, look good and now in hi rez are as readable as the print versions.

The only downside is that moving from the iPad 2 to the 3's higher rez causes Zinio to take a few seconds per page to get to full resolution.

I've never had a crash with Zinio.
    Is there a reason you use Zinio instead of Newsstand?
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    238 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimmers View Post
    For me, it was two things.

1. Zinio has a much better selection, at least right now.

2. I can access my Zinio account from multiple devices on multiple platforms (Android, PC, Mac, etc.)
    iPhone Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by jimmers View Post
    I had some subs with Zinio before Newsstand existed. I guess momentum keeps me there.
    Vortec 5.3 likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS5

Another Zinio user, some subscriptions, some single issues. Newsstand didn't have anything I was interested in.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I only use Newstand for The Daily. Haven't found any other substantial apps out there that I'm willing to plop down money on yet.

If you're really into reading, I have the Kindle app and there are a lot of free books (yes-my cheapness is leaking out), as well as some very inexpensive ones available there.
    BIG DOG
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

I use Newstand for Wired, because I had the subscription before.
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I do have a Kindle as well as the Kindle app. I was interested in viewing magazines on the ipad. I can't do that on my Kindle Touch. I'm going to check out Zinio.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS6

I use both Zinio and Newstand. Very happy with both. Downloading much faster on the new iPad but you do have to keep the app open for the downloads to complete. I have never had a problem with missing issues or crashes. I have about 15 mag subscriptions on my iPad between the two formats.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    9,184 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lonbeehold View Post
    I use both Zinio and Newstand. Very happy with both. Downloading much faster on the new iPad but you do have to keep the app open for the downloads to complete. I have never had a problem with missing issues or crashes. I have about 15 mag subscriptions on my iPad between the two formats.
    Yes downloads are much quicker with the new iPad. Thankfully. Although some of the magazines I get have not updated for the new display res.