optimum picture size for albums?

openthepodbaydoors

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I am a painter and a photographer. The main reason I bought the new iPad is for the new retina display. Although I am able to synch my old albums from Aperture ,which I made with my iPad 2 in mind. I am now having doubts about my old albums on the new iPad. Although they work , I don't think I am getting the full benefits of the retina display. Ideal display size is more important to me than storage. Please let me know your thoughts on the ideal picture size. (max-min)

This is the main reason I bought the new iPad. As any artist knows, showing what you do is far easier than explaining it.

Thanks in advance.

takata

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I noticed that the photos' usage in my iPad space has increased a great deal. The same albums took 1GB odd on my old iPad, now takes more than 6GB on the new iPad! But when blown up, they look almost identical.

Though I must say that at the default viewing size, they do look a great deal better. I guess that is simply because the screen is much better.

openthepodbaydoors

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes I noticed that as well, is strange this seems to occur on the first synch. Then on the 2nd and 3rd synchs, photos seem to revert back to initial sizes. I'm using both the iPad 2 and the new iPad with the most recent version of itunes. The irony is that both iPads have same apps ,same info , the new ipad shows 3.1 GB used, the iPad 2 shows 4.8 GB used . It seems that many of the same apps installed on the new iPad are taking up less space.

Getting back to my initial question I'm still trying to figure out ideal size ,max -min . I shoot 8x10 negatives on a view camera and scan the prints. For my first albums on the iPad 2 I did a little over 1080 x 1920, giving me a 492 KB file size . On the new iPad do I have to go a little over 2048 x 1536 ?

I usually like to go slightly over screen size to give a little more room for zooming into details. I know the photo app does some sizing of it's own and I don't fully understand what it does . I do know we are dealing with a whole new world. A screen size of 2048 x 1536 is something I never imagined using. Friends working at Conde Nast yes but me no.

Thanks again,

All replies greatly appreciated ,

Last edited:

takata

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Yes I noticed that as well, is strange this seems to occur on the first synch. Then on the 2nd and 3rd synchs, photos seem to revert back to initial sizes..

Wow... Maybe I should remove all photos and do a re-sync again.

On the resolutions, I'm unsure too... Let's hear from more experts. :)

openthepodbaydoors

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
no need

This happened on it's own. I went back and forth synching both iPads to computer and iCloud. I didn't do anything at all to albums. All the photos are still there, including the ones that were in the photo stream. The Photo Stream itself is empty on both devices but the all the photos that were in the stream turn up under photos . Photo stream may have gotten erased with iCloud, when I changed my Apple id and logged in with new id. I panicked as well when I saw the storage consumed by my photos skyrocket on first synch. From my experience , don't do anything to your albums or photos, as this seems to take care of itself. Can't speak for stream as I changed my Apple id and don't know what effect this has had. Theoretically iCloud is cleared once a month, although I have had photos linger for months in Stream. Regarding your photos and space, I don't think you have anything to worry about

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2