Your thoughts on USING the Retina display?

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
So after a couple of days I'm HOOKED. I can't believe the qualitative difference using the Retina display on the new iPad makes for me. Not only is everything clearer and sharper, but it removes yet one more layer of intermediation between me and the content. It makes the iPad disappear even more.

I'm not looking at digital representations of text on a screen. I'm reading. I'm not seeing anti-aliasing on graphics in books. I'm enjoying the art.

The difference is subtle but unmistakable.

I know some people say they can't tell or don't care about the difference, but I certainly can and do.

Everything just looks better... Or better than better. It just looks like it's supposed to.

It's like going from newsprint to a high quality magazine.

GinoDotCom

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
I love my new iPad because I am coming from an iPad first generation. However I cannot quantify the purchase if I were coming from an iPad 2. There's just not enough difference in performance or physical appearance other than just the retina display.

The dictation feature is awesome and even seems more accurate than Siri however this is just a software addition in my opinion where apple could have easily added onto the iPad2.

Cantime77

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Reading is a total pleasure on the device with even the smallest font perfectly legible which on the iPad2 prompted me quite often to zoom in as the small text was looking fuzzy.
The new screen is upping up the ante for all tablet makers out there.
Once again iPad created another new standard.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I picked up my PlayBook for the first time since Friday to read an ebook and proceeded to loudly scream "Ahhhh pixels".

All the high ppi devices have spoiled my eyes.

dandbj13

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
A tablet is only a touch-sensitive screen. The rest of the hardware, for the most part, is there to support that one thing. The iPad has always had the most fluidly tactile screen. Now, it has the best looking screen to go with it. All that in a package that does not sacrifice performance or battery. On the hardware side of things, I can't imagine what more a tablet could aspire to be.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I'm picking up the ipad first instead of the iphone. That says it all. Usually I'd grab the iphone first because the ipad 2 wasn't great for text. For apps with lots of graphics & media, it was fine though.

acecommander

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I upgraded from the 1st Ipad 32G Wifi to the new Ipad 64G Wifi yesterday, and for me it's a huge difference. At my age, not having to squint or constantly rub my eyes when reading for extended periods is important.

As an aside, the sound level and quality seems much better also. Haven't had to use my Q2 Blue Ant to watch movies or videos yet, and by the way Netflix and Movie Trailers is AWESOME to watch!!!

CrzyP

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I wanted an iPad since day one, but vowed to never own one until it had the retina display like my iPhone 4. Glad I waited 2 years! The iPhone 4 set a standard for displays and now the 3rd gen iPad does too.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
The lower res of the iPad 2 always bothered me from day 1 (IPhone 4 caused that ;))... The retina display on the new iPad is exactly what I've been waiting for... Using an ipad2 now is like how using an iPhone 3GS was after the iPhone 4 and its retina display came out...

After 3 days I'm still blown away by how crisp and sharp the new iPad display is! Makes reading on the iPad (not just books but ANY form of text) a pure joy!

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711