iPad 3 subtle changes to charger and cover magnets

Cantime77

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Something I only noticed after a while.
1. With the standard cable being quite short I have been using a USB extension cord and it worked perfectly with my iPad2... now plugging it in to iPad3 gave me an error saying that I can't charge it.
2. I purchased an iConn leather cover for my old iPad2 and it would turn it on/off just like intended.... the new iPad3 doesn't register the lid. I went to the Best Buy and they now have similar cases marked iPad HD. So I pulled one off the shelf and tested it... it doesn't work either. (just to make sure there was nothing wrong with my iPad I of course made sure it worked with cover from Apple before doing any tests)

Anyone there noticed anything else?

KidKid99

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I haven't myself experice this. But when looking for cases online with smart cover features. A lot of the cases design for iPad 2 won't work right. I guess apple moved the smart cover censor on the new iPads.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Another thread here has a link to a write-up where it has been found that there may be a magnet polarity issue involved - and someone did a little surgery on their cover, gave the magnet a 180 - problem went away. Seems Apple started using a sensor where the magnet's polarity matters.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234