Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Rocket_Girl's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    247 Posts
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts

    Default Battery: Slow charge, quick drain...

    What experiences are you having w/ battery...charging and draining?

    Mine seems to charge extremely s l o w l y, yet drain more quickly than iPad2. have had it plugged in all afternoon, to get from 72-88... still not fully charged. I realize that using it while charging saps some of the charge, but this is pretty different from my experience w/ iPad 2.

    What are others seeing?
  2. #2  
    lonbeehold's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    217 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS6

    Default

    I've noticed an extremely slow charge as well. Drain was much less today than it was on days 1 & 2.
  3. #3  
    SwsFoe's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    34 Posts
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts

    Default

    I tried using my phone charger to charge my iPad and it was taking forever. So I switched over to the one that came with the iPad itself and it charged much more quickly. As far as drainage it seems about right to me. I haven't been playing many games but ive been using it constantly and my iPad was at 100% around 11am, it's now 5:30 and at 82%
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    Rocket_Girl's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    247 Posts
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SwsFoe View Post
    I tried using my phone charger to charge my iPad and it was taking forever. So I switched over to the one that came with the iPad itself and it charged much more quickly. As far as drainage it seems about right to me. I haven't been playing many games but ive been using it constantly and my iPad was at 100% around 11am, it's now 5:30 and at 82%
    wow - mine drains a LOT more quickly than that... Losing 20% or more per hour, with mostly constant use. For me, constant = email, newspapers, Facebook and random web stuff (like iMore).

    Mine is 4g on Verizon (32GB) - wonder if this is different for 4g compared w/ wi-fi. My iPad 2 was wi-fi only, and battery life was great.
  5. #5  
    aggieastrosfan's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    132 Posts
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_Girl View Post
    wow - mine drains a LOT more quickly than that... Losing 20% or more per hour, with mostly constant use. For me, constant = email, newspapers, Facebook and random web stuff (like iMore).

    Mine is 4g on Verizon (32GB) - wonder if this is different for 4g compared w/ wi-fi. My iPad 2 was wi-fi only, and battery life was great.
    Have you tried turning off cellular data when on wifi? I started doing this at home when I noticed a pretty quick battery drain. I'm at 10% right now, but I started the day at about 65%. It's a new toy, I've been on it quite a bit all day, some of that on 4g. Even used the hotspot a bit to let the kiddo watch TV on "his" iPad (my old 2) :roll eyes:

    I have noticed the battery doing much better when I turn off cellular data when I don't need it.


    Sent from my new Verizon 4G iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Verizon iPhone 4S white 32gb
    Verizon iPad black 64gb + 4g
    16gb white WiFi iPad 2
  6. #6  
    triantic's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    1 Posts

    Default iPad 3 slow charge, quick drain stopgap

    New VZ LTE iPad 3 charges slow, drains fast. Markedly.

    1. Took to not-so-genius bar. Diagnosis is I have to do a 'deep firmware fix' which will require a synch, not iCloud back up. Apparently I have some corrupt core applications and an iCloud restore will just overwrite the fixes. have not gotten to this yet but will do and report out.

    2. Meanwhile, I upgraded to the Griffen LOD-USB 20 gauge charging cable and 2.1 amp charger. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. The device is finally performing like its Predecessors power-wise.
  7. #7  
    cardfan's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,941 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,565 Global Posts

    Default

    I've noticed my at&t ipad drains a bit more slowly than the verizon one i had. No clue why and i'm not exactly complaining. Though i did set each up as a new ipad so i'm pretty sure it's not an app. Cellular is off most of time.

    Both take longer to charge than the ipad 2 did but that's understandable.
  8. #8  
    EmceeGeek's Avatar

    Posts
    1,644 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,709 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1.1

    Default

    My charge is slow, but I get a lot of usage out of mine. I can sit for hours watching Netflix, YouTube, playing games, on social sites, browsing and not even be at 20% after the day is over. At least that was with the iPad I just took back; I haven't tested this one out yet. The first was a 32gb LTE model, second is a 64gb LTE model. So its the same, should have the same results. At least I hope so. The wi-fi model also charges slow but drains slow to me.

    Keep in mind the faster processor though.
    32GB iPhone 5S 32GB iPhone 5 64GB iPad 3 LTE 15" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz 21" iMac 2.9GHz i5
  9. #9  
    Vortec 5.3's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    74 Posts
    Global Posts
    602 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by triantic View Post
    New VZ LTE iPad 3 charges slow, drains fast. Markedly.

    1. Took to not-so-genius bar. Diagnosis is I have to do a 'deep firmware fix' which will require a synch, not iCloud back up. Apparently I have some corrupt core applications and an iCloud restore will just overwrite the fixes. have not gotten to this yet but will do and report out.

    2. Meanwhile, I upgraded to the Griffen LOD-USB 20 gauge charging cable and 2.1 amp charger. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. The device is finally performing like its Predecessors power-wise.
    Isn't that like $60.00? What does that do, that the original cable and wall adaptor can't do?
  10. #10  
    KungFuGrip's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    41 Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WarhawkGuy View Post
    Isn't that like $60.00? What does that do, that the original cable and wall adaptor can't do?
    Not sure about his, but it's a much thicker and more durable cable. Mine charges rather quickly. Added bonus of the length (about 10'). I didn't get the additional power adapter, as the original one works fine for me. I was a bit wary of doubling the wattage anyway when charging (the one I contemplated buying was rated at 20W).

    Also, you can get them from Amazon for under $20.
    Reminding people that "your" "you're"...

    Habitual Line-Stepper since 1979


    "Victory has 100 fathers... Defeat is an orphan." - John F. Kennedy
  11. #11  
    EmceeGeek's Avatar

    Posts
    1,644 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,709 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1.1

    Default

    Update, I have noticed a drain in this particular device. My other was great.
    32GB iPhone 5S 32GB iPhone 5 64GB iPad 3 LTE 15" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz 21" iMac 2.9GHz i5
  12. #12  
    Motorbones's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    251 Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1

    Default

    First off, the larger charger that comes with the iPad is a 10w charger while the smaller iPhone charger is only 5w so it'll take a lot longer to charge. If a device charges really, really fast and uses up its juice really, really fast, that's usually the sign of a shot battery. You might want to take it to the Apple store to have it checked out if that's what's happening. I get a hella lot of hours off my slow charging iPad. When I'm at work I'm usually streaming Pandora through my iPad into computer speakers with it plugged in most the time and have had no problems with the battery. I did this for over a year with my iPad Classic and had a perfectly good operating battery when I sold it.
    USAF, Ret

    PLEASE!!!! Don't text and drive...
    You'll be saving lives... including your own...
  13. #13  
    drethos's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    931 Global Posts

    Default

    Mine charges great off anything I plug it into. My MacBook, the charger it came with, and the car charger. I use mine a lot during the day. Usually end an 8hr day at around 64% if I'm not in my truck all day. Granted I'm not gaming when I'm on it.
  14. #14  
    infoghost's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

    Default

    I feel like I am getting slightly less battery life too. Nothing major enough for a complaint (I'll take a hit for that awesome screen) but I do think that at the end of the day, it's a little less than my ipad 1.

    Charging isn't a surprise, but I do sort of wish they built a new charger for the new ipad, knowing it takes longer.

Posting Permissions