iPad 3 owners / previous iPad 2 owners: is new iPad worth $100 more than iPad 2?

Curious D

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi. I don't mean to create any flaming wars with the title, but I am interested in knowing if someone who has been on the sidelines should be buying the new iPad or the iPad 2. I have interest in purchasing a wifi only 64 GB version of the iPad. I'm not sure the camera will make much difference to me so I'm wondering if the A5X processor and boost in RAM would make a huge difference in performance that would warrant an extra $100 (Best Buy is selling the remaining inventory for $100 less).

While the colors seem better with the new iPad (what I could make out on my computer screen with pictures), I'm wondering if it makes much difference with many of the apps out there. It could be that the apps aren't taking advantage of the new hardware and we will see more difference when developers write programs geared to the new iPad. (I don't really play many graphics intensive games, much...but my kids might). Additionally, I have home movies that are filmed by my camera at standard definition (640x480). My experience with better screens are that they reveal more artifacts with lower definition video. Given the retina display, I'm wondering if my movies will look much worse than on an iPad 2.

So those are my questions - processor, RAM, video. Is it worth an extra $100?

I'm not in a rush to purchase the new iPad as I usually watch to see if there are any major problems with new devices. However, the window to purchase a 64GB iPad 2 is rapidly closing and that's why I'm asking the question now. In the end, $100 won't break the bank, but it is a $100 that could be spent elsewhere (or saved). Looking forward to your thoughts.

Boobie12

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I had both, just went from a 16gb white ipad to a 32gb white iPad 3 and it felt the same at first but now I can't even look at my iPhone screen the same. This screen Is sharp. I'll be doing a lot of reading for classes and documents on this and I would never take the 2 over this for the clarity of text. My opinion if you can spend the extra 100 go for it.

Reactions: Curious D

aggieastrosfan

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
While waiting for the Verizon store to open yesterday morning, I was playing on my 2 and thinking of how much I loved it and wondering how there could be anything that would make it feel inferior and subpar. I'm only 34 hours in to having the new iPad, and I honestly can't look at the 2's screen anymore, this one is just that fantastic for me.

My point is, if I had never seen the new one, I would've never questioned that the 2 wasn't the greatest thing out there. So if you stay away from the new one, a 2 will suit you just fine, and you'll love it. Just don't play with the store displays of the new one, or you might find yourself forking over the extra $100!

Sent from my new Verizon 4G iPad using Tapatalk HD

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I have both iPad 2 and the new iPad... Absolutely without question it's worth it!!!

Think 3GS>4 level of screen improvement

k_kjong

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes it's definitely worth it. For me the Retina Display itself is worth it for the $100 difference. Especially after using iPhone 4S, I cannot use an iOS device with no Retina Display anymore.

Curious D

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Wow. Thanks for the responses. I'm not an early adopter, but I really appreciate all the input. My wiffe thinks I should go with the new iPad too. Can anyone comment on video that is lower resolution? How does lower resolution video look on such a high resolution screen (vs the iPad 2)? Thanks.

brijuhaha

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Wow. Thanks for the responses. I'm not an early adopter, but I really appreciate all the input. My wiffe thinks I should go with the new iPad too. Can anyone comment on video that is lower resolution? How does lower resolution video look on such a high resolution screen (vs the iPad 2)? Thanks.

I tried to watch some videos with lower resolution in the new iPad and I think it's not that bad. For me it looks pretty much the same like watching in the iPad 2. That's based on my opinion though, it depends on you. :)

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
With the retina display, faster processor, LTE, 5MP camera. Heck yeah, it was worth it.

Sent from my AT&T LTE iPad using Tapatalk.

dtyrewilliams

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I have both. The new iPad screen is remarkable compared to the other. I am a photographer so i appreciate the improved camera and the display has really wowed clients when showing my photo portfolio. However I am a techie who just wants the newest thing. My wife still has an iPad 2 and is not concerned with getting the new one. Honestly I think it just comes down to what you want to spend. It's def worth the extra $100, but not necessary to get the new one depending on how you plan to use it.

Chop

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Depends on what you'll be doing with your iPad, mostly. If you're content with the iPad 2, then get it - it's a wonderful device. I agree... the cameras aren't important, and the one that IS (front-facing) is the one Apple didn't bother upgrading. The new iPad's screen is really nice, but - hyperbole aside - it's not THAT huge of a deal, really. If you're trying to save a bit of money, go for the 2.

Having said that, the way I look at it, you'll be paying for these "retina" apps one way or the other. What I mean is this: the increased sizes of these revamped apps will be taking up the same amount of space, regardless of device you get. It's not like you can download the smaller, lower-res versions for an iPad 2. Since that's the case, if you can afford it, I say go with the new one. If you're gonna have to sacrifice the space anyway, might as well get to enjoy it fully on the superior screen.

Reactions: aggieastrosfan

lonbeehold

May 29, 2009
Visit site
I do a lot of reading on my iPad so for me, it was definitely worth it. I can't believe the difference in the text appearance in the new iPad. I also took the opportunity to up my storage. I did Verizon LTE so the personal hotspot ability was a plus here, too.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
A few hours ago, I drove to a nearby Best Buy store and played with the new iPad. The retina display is indeed gorgeous. Having said that, the improvements to the new iPad is not enough to justify an upgrade from an iPad 2, in 'my' opinion. Two families were also there comparing the two devices and other than the display, they, too, were unable to 'see' a compelling reason to get the new ipad so I told them that it would be to their advantage financially if they got the iPad 2 and an Apple bluetooth keyboard and still be a few dollars shy of the new iPad, but if money was not an issue, I told them to go with the new iPad. I am not taking anything away from the new iPad and for those of you who got and/or are getting it, you will not be disappointed, but I stand by my opinion that upgrading from an iPad 2 is unjustifiable in my respect.

Just Me, D
Tapatalk (iPhone 4S)

Last edited:

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
A few hours ago, I drove to a nearby Best Buy store and played with the new iPad. The retina display is indeed gorgeous. Having said that, the improvements to the new iPad is not enough to justify an upgrade from an iPad 2, in 'my' opinion. Two families were also there comparing the two devices and other than the display, they, too, were unable to 'see' a compelling reason to get the new ipad so I told them that it would be to their advantage financially if they got the iPad 2 and an Apple bluetooth keyboard and still be a few dollars shy of the new iPad, but if money was not an issue, I told them to go with the new iPad. I am taking nothing away from the new iPad and for those of you who got and/or are getting it, you will not be disappointed, but I stand by my opinion that upgrading from an iPad 2 is unjustifiable in my respects.

Just Me, D
Tapatalk (iPhone 4S)

I have to agree with you on this. I went to Best Buy yesterday ready ot buy the new iPad. I spoke with the Apple rep then proceeded to play with the new device. Honestly I had trouble distinguishing the ipad2 (which I own) from the new one. Yes, the display is sharper but not amazingly so. It's not snappier as the bump in the processor is more for pushing the graphics. After about an hour and a half I put the new iPad down and left without purchasing it. I did not see anything worth me ditching my ipad2 for and I take pictures with my 4s so the camera bump isn't a big deal. I did notice how warm the new iPad gets which does not happen on the 2. Also, I realized the iPad 2 is still pretty damn good.

If I were an original iPad owner or first time iPad buyer I would say hands down purchase the new iPad. Those who own the iPad 2 I would caution making the leap UNLESS your going to use the device in a way that takes full advantage of the display. I will wait for next years release.

That's my 2 cents FWIW.

Reactions: Just_Me_D

spark032207#WN

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree with you on this. I went to Best Buy yesterday ready ot buy the new iPad. I spoke with the Apple rep then proceeded to play with the new device. Honestly I had trouble distinguishing the ipad2 (which I own) from the new one. Yes, the display is sharper but not amazingly so. It's not snappier as the bump in the processor is more for pushing the graphics. After about an hour and a half I put the new iPad down and left without purchasing it. I did not see anything worth me ditching my ipad2 for and I take pictures with my 4s so the camera bump isn't a big deal. I did notice how warm the new iPad gets which does not happen on the 2. Also, I realized the iPad 2 is still pretty damn good.

If I were an original iPad owner or first time iPad buyer I would say hands down purchase the new iPad. Those who own the iPad 2 I would caution making the leap UNLESS your going to use the device in a way that takes full advantage of the display. I will wait for next years release.

That's my 2 cents FWIW.

I completely disagree. As I was setting my new iPad 3 next to the iPad 2, I could tell right away which one is the new one. And I do think the screen alone is worth the upgrade, especially since you will get a pretty good value out of the iPad 2 if you sell it used. As someone said, it's like going from iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4. Huge difference.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
A few hours ago, I drove to a nearby Best Buy store and played with the new iPad. The retina display is indeed gorgeous. Having said that, the improvements to the new iPad is not enough to justify an upgrade from an iPad 2, in 'my' opinion. Two families were also there comparing the two devices and other than the display, they, too, were unable to 'see' a compelling reason to get the new ipad so I told them that it would be to their advantage financially if they got the iPad 2 and an Apple bluetooth keyboard and still be a few dollars shy of the new iPad, but if money was not an issue, I told them to go with the new iPad. I am not taking anything away from the new iPad and for those of you who got and/or are getting it, you will not be disappointed, but I stand by my opinion that upgrading from an iPad 2 is unjustifiable in my respect.

Just Me, D
Tapatalk (iPhone 4S)

You seem determined at least.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I completely disagree. As I was setting my new iPad 3 next to the iPad 2, I could tell right away which one is the new one. And I do think the screen alone is worth the upgrade, especially since you will get a pretty good value out of the iPad 2 if you sell it used. As someone said, it's like going from iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4. Huge difference.

Yep, huge difference. Game changer for the ipad. Not only that, but most apps for the ipad from now on will be designed with that new screen in mind.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice