Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

iOS Version

Default Battery life in comparison to the old iPad(s)

Hi all

I was just wondering if anyone has had extensive use and tested your new iPads' battery life so far? It may be a novelty effect, but it seems to me that this new iPad lasts much longer than my previous iPad (1st gen).

I narrowed it down to a few reasons:
    1) I live outside of North America, so there's no LTE to suck my battery dry.
    2) My old iPad's nearly two years old, so its lifespan may have degraded in comparison to the new one.
    3) This new iPad larger battery REALLY does last longer?

Like to hear your thoughts and experiences. Please share...
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,029 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by takata View Post
    Hi all

I was just wondering if anyone has had extensive use and tested your new iPads' battery life so far? It may be a novelty effect, but it seems to me that this new iPad lasts much longer than my previous iPad (1st gen).

I narrowed it down to a few reasons:
    1) I live outside of North America, so there's no LTE to suck my battery dry.
    2) My old iPad's nearly two years old, so its lifespan may have degraded in comparison to the new one.
    3) This new iPad larger battery REALLY does last longer?

Like to hear your thoughts and experiences. Please share...
    On This Week in iPad, they said that the latest iPad has twice the battery capacity of the previous model. LTE and that retina display are expected to normalize that capacity to iPad 2 levels, but if one isn't using LTE it makes sense that the device would last significantly longer - all this assuming that 4 (not 2) times the resolution doesn't SMASH the hell out of the battery by itself.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iPhone Nanite

iOS Version

Wouldn't that mean the WIFI-only models get an increased battery life by default since the battery size is identical, but there's no LTE for sure...
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,029 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by takata View Post
    Wouldn't that mean the WIFI-only models get an increased battery life by default since the battery size is identical, but there's no LTE for sure...
    Exactamundo.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I haven't had the newest iPad long (obviously) but day one use leads me to believe it's at least as good as iPad 1 and 2 (I have WiFi only version).
    Rob Terry

@RobT43 on the Twitter

Mid '14 retina MacBook Pro 13", 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD; 64GB iPhone 6 (Gray); Apple TV 2
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    IOS 5.1

The new Ipad seems better than the original Ipad's battery,not sure about Ipad 2,but I was on it all day yesterday and it died around early this morning.I have only had wi-fi versions of the Ipad but I would imagine that being on LTE would make the battery go down a little but not too fast depending on usage
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,029 Global Posts

I dunno. I used to get MUCH better than ten hours of battery life on my iPad shortly after launch. I haven't had the 2012 version long enough to evaluate the battery much, yet.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iPhone Nanite

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I dunno. I used to get MUCH better than ten hours of battery life on my iPad shortly after launch. I haven't had the 2012 version long enough to evaluate the battery much, yet.
    Yea, so do I. As in the battery has always lasted >10 hours for me. I guess that was mainly because I have the habit of turning the brightness really low. I can't stand bright screens. But I'm comparing the batt life purely between my old and new iPads. That's where I'm seeing the difference.

Well, I guess this isn't a problem, but more of just wanting different opinions to make sure I wasn't undergoing the "novelty" effect of a new gadget...
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,029 Global Posts

I understand. I have the original and the current models.