Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Actual

Global Posts
    2,373 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Is your new iPad getting unusually hot?

My original iPad and IPad 2 stayed cool as a cucumber no matter what I did with them. (Insert your own Flash joke here). The new iPad has been the same for me so far, but we're getting emails from some of you saying it's getting hot, specially towards the back corner.

Anyone notice this? Maybe during LTE or 1080p video playback or Retina gaming or something? (Anything that would tax the internals)

My iPhones have always gotten hot, especially when tethering or when they can't find a radio. So far, so good with the iPad. Anyone else?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Yes, there have been reports about this. I posted my thoughts on why this is normal in the following thread on this topic, here: http://forums.imore.com/ipad-3rd-gen...nning-hot.html In short, the larger battery as well as the new iPad's LTE capabilities have a lot to do with the warmer temp of the new iPad.
    Super Moderator

Global Posts
    569 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Ya, lower right hand corner... never had this happen on my iPad. The attribution to LTE isn't adding up though, considering I have a WiFi unit.
    Chris Parsons
    Twitter: @Bla1ze

[ Mobile Nations Sites: Android, iOS, Windows Phone, BlackBerry ]
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Yes , mine was burning up while playing modern combat 3. This makes me a little worried
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    1,215 Global Posts

was playing ME Infiltrator. it got hot at the lower left corner. almost the same as my SG2 Lte when i tether it with my ipad..
    i think it's actually the processor.. i'm not sure if the battery gets hot at all usualy on handhelds its always the processor... oh and my ipad is a 16gb wifi only so in this case i think the quadcore graphics chip gets hot while trying to process the graphics
    Last edited by dalvik; 03-16-2012 at 06:34 PM.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    372 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Mine is but I am downloading all my apps and music. Mine is the wifi model.
    32GB iPhone 5 black
    32GB Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    16GB iPhone 4 black retired/backup
    16GB iPad 3rd gen WiFi
    16GB OG iPad WiFi sold
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

My Wifi model has been running hot all day.

Really weird for an iPad.

It's not an LTE thing, as several of my friends with Wifi only models have noticed the same.

I think it's a battery thing.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    372 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by KenFSU View Post
    My Wifi model has been running hot all day.

Really weird for an iPad.

It's not an LTE thing, as several of my friends with Wifi only models have noticed the same.

I think it's a battery thing.
    I think it's a set up thing. Everyone is getting all their apps downloaded and music and stuff.
    32GB iPhone 5 black
    32GB Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    16GB iPhone 4 black retired/backup
    16GB iPad 3rd gen WiFi
    16GB OG iPad WiFi sold
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts

Nothing yet. Currently charging it so time will tell
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

I've been using my new iPad LTE model for about 3 hours now and not even warm at all.

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    IOS 5.1

I noticed it being a little warm but wasn't much of an issue with my leather case I'm using right now from my old original Ipad
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    159 Global Posts

Mine was getting warm when downloading apps over wifi. After that, it really wasn't an issue.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    484 Global Posts

Very warm on the left side after consistent use. Actually hot enough that I was concerned last night. I am on my home wifi and not LTE so that isn't the issue. At least not on my device.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    630 Global Posts
    iOS Version

So far, no issues here... 32GB WIFI... Going to put it through the paces today..
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS5

Finally got a chance to run LTE nonstop for about 2 hrs and the whole left side of my iPad is considerably warm. It's a distance from being uncomfortable but you will notice it if you're upgrading from iPad 2. This one feature will definitely be welcomed next winter.
    iPhone 4s 32GB /The New iPad 64GB AT&T LTE
    @canadu
    http://canadu.posterous.com
    iMore Nanite

iOS Version
    10A405

I wouldn't say that it gets hot, but my new iPad does get warm on both sides of the 30-pin dock connector. The left side is noticeably more warm than the right.
    iMore Newbie

iOS Version
    6 beta 2

Using a LTE model, no issues
    iPhone Beginner

iOS Version
    iOs 6.0.1

I have the 32GB - 4G and after %90 of battery, actually it does not get a little bit warm. It's burning like hell! (it still doesnt give any warning)

I'm now restoring for a clean setup in fact I just bought it yesterday A solution must be find to that cause it disturbs me even while holding the device. Otherwise I will use my iPad as an iGrill !!!

Some people are keep on saying its natural but it can not be natural!
    - C.G -  iPad Mini - 32 GB  iPhone 5 - 32GB  Retina MacBook Pro. 15'' - 2,3 Ghz. Quad-Core i7 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD - Mid 2012
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Mine is not and I power tested LTE around Las Vegas
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    200 Global Posts

The more powerful processor you put in a tight space, the hotter it gets. My i7 Macbook Air runs a lot hotter than my old Core 2 Duo model, and Apple actually lowered the clock speed on the Core 2 Duo model because the previous line had heat issues. I suspect that playing graohic intensive games is going to cause the biggest problem.

Just wait until the "no compromise" Windows 8 tablets come out, which will need enough power to run a full (even bloated) multitasking multiuser OS).
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

Mine is substantially warmer than the iPad 2, even after just reading magazines.
    Marcus Adolfsson
    Smartphone Experts
    iPhone Nanite

I was reading on Apple forums that if u lower the brightness from 100% to 85%, that helps it from getting to hot
    Thanked by:
    oldfahrt (03-28-2012)
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

Smile 101.8 f!

My new hotpad, er, ipad is currently 101.8 according to my infrared thermometer. Call me thin-skinned, but between the discomfort and reading all the suggestions for not making full use of all the very plusses we paid for, I find the joy has soured. ON THE OTHER HAND (no pun intended), I found a work-around that just might restore the joy: it's called an "icepad", and I'm crossing my fingers. Talked to the sales VP to confirm it's what I need, that it fits the new ipad, etc., and he assures me I'll see/feel a remarkable improvement. Here's the link if anyone's interested. And, while I guess this might sound like a sales/snow job, it isn't. I was just so glad to find it after spending a looong time googling. You can imagine my poor, burning hands and lap are glad too!
    iPhone Newbie

I noticed something last night. I have a 32G WiFi. The charging plug became warm. The iPad was in sleep mode. I got down to 20% battery, and started charging. It took a little over three hours to fully charge. I did have it plugged into a surge protector with other things charging, but the charger getting warm? It was only warm the first hour of charging, but a little concerned.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    295 Global Posts

When doing heavy downloading such as when i was downloading GarageBand, it does it gets a little warm. Other than that it's fine. It's just when downloading.

---
    I am here:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast