Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Question New iPad as eReader?

I feel weird posting this because I just commented on another thread that I use my iPad 2 as my eReader, but...

I read a review of the new iPad that stated, among other things, people who depend upon their iPad to read books and other "print" content (magazines, etc.) should upgrade to the new model. I have had my iPad 2 for four months now and have not noticed a huge problem when it comes to eyestrain. However, for those of you who have had it for longer, does it eventually become an issue? Not to say that I'm jumping to upgrade, but it gives me food for thought if I eventually trade up.
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

I don't get eye strain. I read constantly on my iPhone 4S and iPad 2. The experience is better on the iPhone because of the Retina display. That's why the new iPad was an automatic upgrade for me. I can't wait to get it!
    Visor > Visor Edge (Silver) > Treo 90 > Tungsten T3 > Treo 680 (Arctic) > iPhone 3G (Black) > iPhone 3GS (Black) > iPhone 4 (Black) > iPhone 4S (Black) > iPhone 5 (Black & Slate)

iPad 3G > iPad 2 3G (AT&T Black) > iPad 3 3G (AT&T Black)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

And people who don't use their iPads as an e-reader will continue to not use the new iPad as an e-reader...because it's too big and heavy to use as an e-reader.
    iMore Pro

I prefer my iPad to my Kindle for reading. I don't find it any heavier than the typical hard cover book I read, and it's way more convenient.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    5,566 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jessi_9783 View Post
    I don't get eye strain. I read constantly on my iPhone 4S and iPad 2. The experience is better on the iPhone because of the Retina display. That's why the new iPad was an automatic upgrade for me. I can't wait to get it!
    Same here. Iphone was main ereader. At least now i can use ipad since text won't be fuzzy.
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

I agree I used my iPhone as my current ereader and now I'm awaiting to revive my iPad 3. I mostly will use it for dreading I can't wait! Does anyone recommend any good books?
    <3 my iPhone 5!!

Global Posts
    19,520 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    And people who don't use their iPads as an e-reader will continue to not use the new iPad as an e-reader...because it's too big and heavy to use as an e-reader.
    True. My primary e-reader is my Nook Simple Touch. However, if I'm in the mood to read and my Nook is upstairs and my iPad 2 is beside me downstairs, I'll easily pick up the iPad, initiate the Nook Reader app and begin reading where I left off with the Nook e-reader. Still, as you've stated, I prefer reading via e-ink in comparison to a backlit display.

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPad 2)
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    201 Global Posts

This is an interesting subject. I use a kindle, and it is terrific for e-reading. I am typing this on an iPad 1. I tried to use it as an e-reader, but it is just too blurry for me compared with the kindle. Also, the backlighting is just a bit bothersome for me. Nice in bed at night, though. Now, I picked up an iPad "3" and tried it for a day. I read a whole mystery book. It took a bit of time to adjust, but it was very good. The text is crisp. Indeed, the kindle app software is better than what is on my kindle. It was nice with subtle backlighting for reading at night. Today I went back to the kindle, and for straight reading for my 52 year old eyes, it is better. But I think that the new iPad would be a pretty good reader, and better than previous versions. I returned the new iPad, since I really don't have a use for it, but it was very fun to try!
    iPhone Intermediate

I probably use my iPad 60% of the time as an e-reader. I also use my iPhone 4 which is a good deal more portable of course, but my preferred one is the iPad. The 3 is a drastic improvement over my 2.

My fave feature is the ability to read in the dark so I can read in bed w/o disturbing my wife with a light. The downside is that it washes out badly in sunlight.

I do find the bare iPad to be a bit cumbersome to use as a reader, but adding a case which gives me a slightly larger and more grippy surface addresses this nicely.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

If I have a book in ePub format on my laptop can I get it on the iPad via iCloud or do I have to use iTunes?
    iMore Pro

Quote Originally Posted by gjrhine View Post
    If I have a book in ePub format on my laptop can I get it on the iPad via iCloud or do I have to use iTunes?
    You can't directly place a book into any of the eBook readers out of iCloud that I'm aware of, but you can use DropBox to transfer from your computer to your iPad without using iTunes.
    Thanked by:
    gjrhine (03-21-2012)
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS6

I do a great deal of reading on my iPad and definitely find the experience to better on the new iPad than on the 2; not an eye strain issue for me, but a lack of true crispness in the text. That said, I was perfectly happy reading on my 2 until I was spoiled by the new. If I was just a few months into my 2, I would not have made the leap. Mine was almost a year old and I was able to sell it for a great price so I went ahead and upgraded.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by gjrhine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Timhewitt View Post
    You can't directly place a book into any of the eBook readers out of iCloud that I'm aware of, but you can use DropBox to transfer from your computer to your iPad without using iTunes.
    Email the epub file to yourself and open with iBooks on iPad. Worked just fine for me! Very happy with how crisp the text is on iPad3.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

I used Dropbox and opened it in eBook where it is now on the shelf. If you use email what happens to the book after you delete the email?
    ---------
    Gary J
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Oh the books are on the shelf. They stay there once they're downloaded to iBooks. I've deleted the email a while ago. Still there.