New iPad (3) setup help

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Setting up a new iPad is pretty straight forward now, thanks to iCloud. You don't even need a computer.

You start the setup process right on your iPad, answer a few questions about what language you want, where you are, and the options you want setup, and it goes to work.

From there you can choose to set up as a new iPad (my preferred option -- less buggy, longer battery life), but is you don't want to start from scratch you can restore from a previous iCloud or iTunes backup. (I wouldn't recommend restoring from an iPhone or iPod touch backup though, super glitchy!)

We're going to have a ton of help and how to guides on the front page come tomorrow, but here's the best place to get help if anything goes wrong -- Apple's activation servers go down, iCloud restores go wonky, etc.

Ask away!

mikos

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I am getting a shiny new iPad 3HDnowjustiPad and I have a question about the iPad for work and iCloud. I have an iPhone 4s with both my work email and personal via gmail. I have both accounts set up via exchange and have iCloud turned off. This was recommended since my email, contacts, and calendar from my work account would just be synced via exchage. I only use the work calendar, gmail is for just email. I do a backdoor contact sync from outlook to gmail.

With the iPad, is there any reason I should start using iCloud? This will be my second iOS device so I'd like to start seeing the stuff in two places and take advantage of iCloud. Can you recommend what settings to use for this setup? I don't want duplicate contacts which is reason the guy at the apple store recommended I NOT use iCloud.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
From there you can choose to set up as a new iPad (my preferred option -- less buggy, longer battery life), but is you don't want to start from scratch you can restore from a previous iCloud or iTunes backup. (I wouldn't recommend restoring from an iPhone or iPod touch backup though, super glitchy!)

!

How does setup method affect battery life? I'm backed up to the cloud on my iPad 2. If I set up as a new iPad, then how do I get my pix, apps, etc. on the new iPad?

tamaram200

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I want to setup IPad different that my Ipad2. So I told it set as new. But when I plug it into ITunes it tries to download everything that is on the Ipad2. Do I need to pull down everything new from the cloud? I am also trying get rid of a bunch of apps, iPhone 4S and IPad 2 are just to full of junk.

Help
T:confused:

hunoosh

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
ugh...this is frustrating since I am pretty new to itunes and ios. I just recently start using the iphone 4S. Just purchased my ipad 3rd gen and I think what I didn't wrong was that I did back ups from the ip 4s to the ipad. Is there a way to restore to new so that I can start all over as new. I was going to Reset all settings in the settings but wasn't sure if that will even help. Some of my apps transferred from iCloud others will NOT and I can't update the 2 updates that keeps appearing in app store app. The apps are on my ipad but just will not update.

hunoosh

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Another question please. Does having an ipad mean that you have to pay for all your paid apps again. I thought with itunes etc.you're allowed up to 3 devices?

sphinx23

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
ugh...this is frustrating since I am pretty new to itunes and ios. I just recently start using the iphone 4S. Just purchased my ipad 3rd gen and I think what I didn't wrong was that I did back ups from the ip 4s to the ipad. Is there a way to restore to new so that I can start all over as new. I was going to Reset all settings in the settings but wasn't sure if that will even help. Some of my apps transferred from iCloud others will NOT and I can't update the 2 updates that keeps appearing in app store app. The apps are on my ipad but just will not update.
In response to your questions,yes you can restore as new on your Ipad by connecting the Ipad to your computer an doing an restore threw Itunes.Just look in the left column,that'll show your Ipad,click it and on the summary part you should see an restore button.This will do an full system restore that'll make your Ipad just like how it came out of it's box.I don't know why some of your apps didn't show up threw the Icloud,but you can always bring those up by searching in Itunes on the Ipad to reinstall.

For your last question,you don't have to repurchase any apps that are already stored on your account,unless you don't like the image quality for the Iphone only apps,which will show an smaller image once you opened the app,but you can enlarge the picture by pressing the 2x button.You'lll notice that some apps are compatible for only the Iphone or whaterver Ios device,while some will work on all which you'll notice which one works best for your Ipad cause an Iphone only apps will show an smaller image.Each app will show an compatibility info log that'll help you in knowing what apps work on what Ios device.

Reactions: hunoosh

hunoosh

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
In response to your questions,yes you can restore as new on your Ipad by connecting the Ipad to your computer an doing an restore threw Itunes.Just look in the left column,that'll show your Ipad,click it and on the summary part you should see an restore button.This will do an full system restore that'll make your Ipad just like how it came out of it's box.I don't know why some of your apps didn't show up threw the Icloud,but you can always bring those up by searching in Itunes on the Ipad to reinstall.

For your last question,you don't have to repurchase any apps that are already stored on your account,unless you don't like the image quality for the Iphone only apps,which will show an smaller image once you opened the app,but you can enlarge the picture by pressing the 2x button.You'lll notice that some apps are compatible for only the Iphone or whaterver Ios device,while some will work on all which you'll notice which one works best for your Ipad cause an Iphone only apps will show an smaller image.Each app will show an compatibility info log that'll help you in knowing what apps work on what Ios device.

Awesome feedback Sphinx!!! Thanks a bunch for taking the time to answer my questions.

geek_76

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Hello, I have a few iPad setup questions...

Let me start by saying that a few days ago, my wife got a brand new iPad. She set it up via wi-fi using our shared apple id. She downloaded apps from the cloud (previously purchased on my iPad) and downloaded her own apps. She also moved the apps around they way she wants them, created folders, etc.

Last nite, however, I decided that we should probably sync it to iTunes so that a backup could be created (did not select iCloud back up when setting it up intially). When I plugged the iPad into the computer, iTunes recognized her iPad and gave two options... "Set up as new iPad" or restore from existing backup - with the only selections available being backups from my iPad, her old iPod touch, and our iPhones...not her new iPad. I know I did not want to chose the second option... but was afraid to select the first option, as I did not know if it would wipe away all of her downloaded apps, and present her with a "clean / factory restored" ipad...leaving her to re-download all the apps and start the process of organizing everything all over again.

My questions are:
A) Can I back up her iPad to the cloud now (even though she said no to iCloud backups) and how do I do this?
B) If so, will the cloud backup be available via iTunes when connected to the computer?
if A and B are not possible:
C) Will selecting the first option (Set up as new iPad) when trying to backup via iTunes on my computer do what I am afraid it will do - and wipe her iPad clean?

Please advise. Thanks!

iMassguy

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Tossing my question into the ring, I'm going to be picking up a 32gig wifi/AT&T iPad in about an hour. Currently have an iPhone 4 that backs up to iCloud. I'm going to set the pad up as new. Do I manually have to go through all my apps to select the ones that I want to use? And, I'd like things like my calendar and notes to be synced, not sure about pictures yet.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
If she's set it up outside of itunes like you said, the first thing i would do is back it up in itunes. Right click on the ipad on the left side of itunes, under devices, and select back up.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Tossing my question into the ring, I'm going to be picking up a 32gig wifi/AT&T iPad in about an hour. Currently have an iPhone 4 that backs up to iCloud. I'm going to set the pad up as new. Do I manually have to go through all my apps to select the ones that I want to use? And, I'd like things like my calendar and notes to be synced, not sure about pictures yet.

Yep, you'll have to manually select them. Which you'd want to do anyways.

For calendar and all that, just put the apple id or whatever you use (such as google sync) on iphone for settings.

geek_76

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
If she's set it up outside of itunes like you said, the first thing i would do is back it up in itunes. Right click on the ipad on the left side of itunes, under devices, and select back up.

Hello... When I try to right click to back up, it only gives two options... Eject or Restore from Backup. There is no option to "back up" the device.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2