Need a little guidance...

CavemanOOGA

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
So, I plan on walking into one of the many technology stores around my area to get an iPad 3 on launch day.

Here's my dilemma; I would REALLY like a 32GB model at the very least, unfortunately I won't be able to afford one with the money I have accumulated... I was thinking of going with a 16GB for now and potentially trading up to a 32GB version.

My question is how does that process work? Do I buy the 16GB one and use it to keep myself happy till I have a little more money, then walk into the Apple store and say "Hey, I want a little more room on this, can I trade it in for a 32GB version"? Is it more complicated than that? How long do I have to trade it in?

Thanks in advanced folks!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Don't quote me, but I read somewhere that you are given a 30-day window of opportunity. Again, don't quote me on it because I'm merely speculating on something I read in the past.

Just Me, D
Tapatalk (iPhone 4S)

alex.shimp

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
It depends on the return policy of the store you purchase from. I think apples is fourteen days, and best buys is thirty. But don't quote me on it

Reactions: Just_Me_D

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I wouldn't assume ipads will be in stock to exchange for. But are we really talking about not being able to come up with an extra 100? Ebay is your friend.

CavemanOOGA

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't assume ipads will be in stock to exchange for. But are we really talking about not being able to come up with an extra 100? Ebay is your friend.

Oh trust me this is a purely hypothetical situation... One where everything plays out just fine and my local Apple store has a plethora of stock.

On terms of the extra $100, I truly can't. As it was, I was already borrowing $400 from family and friends. Ha. So, yeah, an extra $100 more than likely isn't going to happen.

guinness0514

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
well I would make sure you study up on return policies in the stores you are thinking about going to. Issue is, NO store is going to like to lose money on returning a product that you are using to tied you over until you save up enough for the one you want. They would have to sell the one you are returning at a loss and that isn't good business. They may charge you a restocking fee, unless you can prove it to be defective. I would recommend you get the one you want the first time. You might have to wait a little longer than you want, but you might not have success in trading up. Either way you decide. GOOD LUCK!

CavemanOOGA

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
well I would make sure you study up on return policies in the stores you are thinking about going to. Issue is, NO store is going to like to lose money on returning a product that you are using to tied you over until you save up enough for the one you want. They would have to sell the one you are returning at a loss and that isn't good business. They may charge you a restocking fee, unless you can prove it to be defective. I would recommend you get the one you want the first time. You might have to wait a little longer than you want, but you might not have success in trading up. Either way you decide. GOOD LUCK!

Yeah, I've decided to wait a little longer. Felt bad for borrowing so much money from my friends, so I gave it back.

Instead, my girlfriend is actually going to save money with me to help me get it faster, so hopefully I'll have one by the end of the month. Is it any wonder why I'm with her? :D

slalomskie

Jan 29, 2009
Visit site
Good choice. Besides its only thirty days. To satisfy your needs just pop into the apple store every couple of days and play with one for an hour or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guinness0514

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, I've decided to wait a little longer. Felt bad for borrowing so much money from my friends, so I gave it back.

Instead, my girlfriend is actually going to save money with me to help me get it faster, so hopefully I'll have one by the end of the month. Is it any wonder why I'm with her? :D

^I like this path! Sounds like you got a good girl. Better keep her. :)

Calebswag7

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Best buy's policy is 30 days on anything in the store, no restocking fee. Just need to have the receipt and everything that came with it without the device being broken. (i work there) so you could always get the 16gb, enjoy it for 3 weeks and return and get the 32gb! your going to only run into a problem of a store having the 32gb new iPad. they'll be selling like crazy.

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
At Apple Store, exchange is easy, no questions, no restocking fee (i exchanged 4s a week after purchase, to go from 16 to 32). Per Apple.com,, Window is 14 days... 30 is ONLY for iPhones. As mentioned above, check return policies *carefully* and confirm at point of purchase. A 10% restocking fee would set you back *more* than double the $100 you're short now.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR