iPad-3 is it Locked or Unlocked ?

nirvana#AC

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I live outside the U.S and I was wondering If I buy a AT&T Wi-Fi + 4G LTE Model of the iPad-3, can I use it with the 3G service of my local service provider in my country without paying any International Roaming Charges !

In Future if the 4G LTE service is provided with my Local service provider will this AT&T model work for the 4G LTE service with my local service provider ?

The Current Models launched in the U.S for Pre-Order for iPad-3 are they Network locked ? Or Unlocked ?.

3under2

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm not 100% certain, but I think they will be carrier locked ...

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I live outside the U.S and I was wondering If I buy a AT&T Wi-Fi + 4G LTE Model of the iPad-3, can I use it with the 3G service of my local service provider in my country without paying any International Roaming Charges !

In Future if the 4G LTE service is provided with my Local service provider will this AT&T model work for the 4G LTE service with my local service provider ?

The Current Models launched in the U.S for Pre-Order for iPad-3 are they Network locked ? Or Unlocked ?.

Carrier locked...

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
I think your both wrong. My iPad first gen and iPad 2 are unlocked. I have used my T-Mobile SIM on many occasions. I dont see the new one being different.

CavemanOOGA

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
All iPads have been unlocked since day 1. I don't see why this would be different.

I think your both wrong. My iPad first gen and iPad 2 are unlocked. I have used my T-Mobile SIM on many occasions. I dont see the new one being different.

The older ones were also only using a 3G standard, which made it easier to switch carriers. With the new 4G capabilities... It may just cause some trouble.

But, since it does support 3G bands as well, it could still work.

canadu

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
I doubt a carrier lock - think about it, why would an operator worry about locking it up when LTE radios are frequency based and each carrier operates at a different frequency. VZW vs ATT ipads will run different LTE radios so lock or no lock still means locked to a carrier.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
It said it was carrier locked when I ordered, it said to pick Verizon or AT&T and said it was locked to that carrier. Maybe just a scare tactic.

garylapointe

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
different frequencies

If you look on the specs page, you can see the Verizon model is different than the ATT model. Verizon ha s CDMA instead of the second LTE frequencies.

That said, the specs found on the France, Canada and Japan models as the same as AT&T, but I don't think Apple is marketing it as LTE there.

I think LTE has 30+ different implementations around the world, even the 700MHz spectrum is handled in the US differently between AT&T and Verizon.

I think the only thing we can count on is the GSM (and the few HSPA options).

Gary

musicfor18

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
They're unlocked but, since LTE operates on different frequencies on different carriers, you must buy the one that works on your carrier. They'll all work universally on 3G.

3under2

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Good to know. Was toying with ordering the 3 from the US, but it comes out here in Sweden on the 23rd so not that long of a wait ;).

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Did you reword what I posted?

BooHoo-7740.jpg

canadu

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Are Tmobile or Sprint Lte bands compatible with Verizon or At&t?
T-mobile is reporting that they will have LTE by 2013 and Sprint will builf out LTE using part if iden network from Nextel acquisition. Both will use different frequencies as well.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
The older ones were also only using a 3G standard, which made it easier to switch carriers. With the new 4G capabilities... It may just cause some trouble.

But, since it does support 3G bands as well, it could still work.
The standard has nothing to do with it being locked or unlocked.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Did you reword what I posted?

Since what you said wasn't exactly accurate, it would be nice if someone reworded it.

Consider the iPhone as an example. The CDMA version works for both Sprint and Verizon. You'd have to delve more into the bands to find which providers it would work with for 4G, but as all carriers work with 3G, it's entirely asinine to suggest different LTE bands "carrier locks" the iPad.

If you don't want people to reword what you say, don't say silly stuff.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR