What's the new name?

KidKid99

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Is the new iPad just that? I was wondering why didn't Apple name it the iPad 3? Also how would the average person could tell the difference between the The New iPad and iPad 2?

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Nothing stopping you from calling it the ipad 3. That's how i'll refer to it. I'm sure down the road it won't matter as much. Upgrades will probably be refreshes like the mac line. Not much else they can add later but internal bumps or insignificant design changes.

For those complaining this was lame, it was probably the most significant upgrade the ipad will ever get.

Last edited:

jaybree

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
It's just the 'iPad.'

I think it's a good decision for Apple. It follows their simple and clean branding. Since they consider the iPad the post pc device, naming it the same way they do with the Macbook Pro, Macbook Air and iMac is probably the right decision. No numbers, just updated devices from time to time. If they don't, it will probably reach iPad 10 or something. lol.

I'm guessing the iPhone will have the same naming. just the new 'iPhone.' We'll see.

Motorbones

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Johncena... dude, your really, really shouldn't smoke medicinal crack before joining a forum and posting on line!!!

henrymagnusrex

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I, for one, think the naming makes perfect sense. Outside of my geek friends, nobody I know understands the nomenclature of ipad vs. ipad 2 or iphone 4 vs 4s. They are sometimes aware that there is a new device out, sometimes being the key word), but are absolutely oblivious to the naming system and specs. This naming system makes sense for 90% of the population. You either have the new iPad or an old one. Numbers really dont mean anything. Next year we will get a new iPad, and you will once again either have the new iPad, or an old one. It's that simple.

Boobie12

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
It looks like the next-gen iPad Apple announces today, the iPad 3 or iPad HD or whatever they name it, may well have support for LTE data networks. If so, this will offer a huge speed boost, and depending on the pricing for data plans this would become a very attractive option for those who want always-on connectivity for their iPad.
It was announced yesterday?

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I, for one, think the naming makes perfect sense. Outside of my geek friends, nobody I know understands the nomenclature of ipad vs. ipad 2 or iphone 4 vs 4s. They are sometimes aware that there is a new device out, sometimes being the key word), but are absolutely oblivious to the naming system and specs. This naming system makes sense for 90% of the population. You either have the new iPad or an old one. Numbers really dont mean anything. Next year we will get a new iPad, and you will once again either have the new iPad, or an old one. It's that simple.

I don't agree. That worked for pc devices. But this is a post pc device. These are more personal. And let's not forget one of the factors that has led people to buy iDevices. They want to stand out, impress their peers, be proud of their device.

Remember people's reaction to the 4S even though it was a solid upgrade? Disappointment. Yet, Siri saved the day because they could use that to stand out.

It doesn't take much from Apple here. You spent the last few years driving expectations with numbers after the name. Then abandon it. To me, it shows uncertainty, diminishing future upgrades, and a lack of understanding of what has drove idevice sales.

Let the results be the judge of what naming mechanism was working best for each product. Mac sales? ipod sales? or ipad & iphone sales?

jaybree

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Let the results be the judge of what naming mechanism was working best for each product. Mac sales? ipod sales? or ipad & iphone sales?

Good point cardfan!

Actually, I am in favor of dropping the numbers. But, you actually are right. On the marketing point of view, the numbers actually give each device an identity like Siri for 4S, 3G uhm well for 3G, etc and apple has been so good at marketing the identity of each of these devices on a more personal note (by this I mean touching the family and children aspect).

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW