When to sell iPad 2

mtmjr90

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone, I've got a dilemma...

I'm a student and I use my iPad to take notes in class and to do my readings/highlight. I had an iPad 1 and sold it a couple weeks before the 2 came out to maximize the return...but I wasn't as reliant on it at the time.

I lined up last year for the 2 and want to do it again for the 3... So I guess I'd like to know if there's anyone out there who uses their iPad a lot throughout the day but really wants to replace it with the iPad 3 and if so, what are you going to do? Thanks!

-mtmjr90

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I used my iPad several hours a day. I sold mine 2 weeks ago in preperation on iPad 3. Now, I am just using my MacBook Pro much more than ever until I get the new iPad.

mtmjr90

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, my alternative is a 300 lb Dell Studio. I'd really miss reading my books in iBooks and highlighting/taking notes:( oh well... how much you think the going price for the iPad 2 will drop after the 3 becomes available?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately, my alternative is a 300 lb Dell Studio. I'd really miss reading my books in iBooks and highlighting/taking notes:( oh well... how much you think the going price for the iPad 2 will drop after the 3 becomes available?

On new iPad 2's. I expect the price to drop maybe $100 and the refurbs from Apple will drop even more. So its obvious the used ones will drop in resale value. How much? Its too hard to say right now. Also, the market will become flooded for used iPad 2's as well which will make it tougher to sell at a good price. I sold mine on Craigslist in a valley with 2 million people. When I sold mine, I was only competing against 1 other iPad 2. Once I listed it, I had about 6 offers with 3 hours. It was a quick easy sell

taylorz_412

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I just bought a refurb iPad 2 from apple for 499 ( don't use 4g or need a high res screen 2 is sufficient don't need the 3) if the price drops will the do a price adjustment or will I have to return and rebuy it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
NOW. They are dropping in price by the day. My buddy waited until after the announcement and is now getting emails from low ballers. Most throwing the iPad 3 in his face that it is around the corner...

mtmjr90

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Just sold it (black wifi 16gb) to a friend for $350...saw it was going for $360-$380 on eBay so I figured it was a good deal. I'm dreading being without one for the next week and a half (I'm assuming it will be available a week after the announcement...god I hope so). A little bit scared that it might sell out, so I'll probably have to skip class and camp out at the Apple store...I hope they sell it at opening instead of 5pm like last year though=/ Thanks for the replies!

Ip.fanboy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I sold mine today thro craiglist, in less than 1 day i made the deal. Ipad 2, white, 16 gb, wifi 450. I was amazed i could sold it to that price. Tho im a lil afraid.... If apple doesnt realise the ipad 3 next week ill die!!!!

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I'd guess the big discount has already occurred so you are probably too late. A good deal will depend on what the 3 has and when it will be available. It will be announced next week but when can you buy it? Next week? I doubt it.

It will also depend on the features. If it has pretty much the same as a 2 but Siri and a better camera, then it's like a iPhoine 4- 4S and while it will sell like crazy, it won't pull many 2's off of theirs to the 3. I won't even consider it if all I get is Siri and a better camera I never use anyway.

At some point, Apple will step on its own tongue and make a product worse than the one before. If the 3 is that one, then the 2 will appreciate after the 3 is released.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Sold my 64gb 3G one for 650 a few weeks ago to co-worker of wife. I figured that was over 700 easily if i had done so on ebay. I had put it on craigslist but the offers were way too low. Moral of story, it's harder to sell the higher storage ones.

@slide That's a bad comparison. The iphone 4 to 4S was much more than Siri and a better camera. Plus it addressed that touch of death problem on the iphone 4 as well as how slow it was becoming opening apps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2