iPad 3 this October *Updated - DELAYED*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Look for an iPad 3 this October... what new hardware features are you looking forward to?

All I need is my retina display...

***Sad news, the next iPad that was slated for October has been pushed back a few months. Like I said, things can and sometimes do change. I've been pretty good in the past with keeping you updated and I will do the same here. If things change I will let you know to the best of my ability.***

Last edited:

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I was told a week before the iPad 2 came out that the 3 would be out no later than November so I have to agree with this statement

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I very much doubt Apple would release the iPad 3 this year. They still can't make iPad 2s fast enough. The "competition" is totally flustered. Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1 is without doubt the nearest competitor and it couldn't drum up lines or any excitement for it's recent launch. There are still hardly any Honeycomb apps to run. Apple doesn't need to rush the next generation iPad.

10" high-resolution touchscreens are not ready for mass production on the scale that new iPads would demand. They're also likely to be very expensive at the beginning. My guess is Apple might add a 2nd model iPad 3 HD with the better screen. It would cost more than the standard resolution screen model. This would happen Mar/Apr 2012 along side the "normal" iPad 3 release.

Any new "tablet" released this Fall would be a larger iPod touch. What if you keep the current iPad screen resolution of 1024x768 and SHRINK the screen size 50% from 7.76? x 5.82? to 3.88? x 2.91?? Screen size would be ~4.9? diagonally. (Someone please check my calculations. I have no confidence they are correct.) Although it could technically be called a mini iPad, the UI would be closer to the iPhone/iPod touch UI. iPod touch HD? This would seriously hurt the portable games device market.

applefanboi

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Hmm... I hope for some more solid information by late August... that's when I am wanting to purchase an iPad 2, at the beginning of the Fall Semester, but if I knew a 3 would be out before November (and wouldn't be too much more than the 2, I would want to wait)

In the end, I may go ahead and get the 2 regardless, just because I want to go paperless/laptopless this semester, and I only have a couple semesters left =p.

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
iPad 3 already for this October?? That's a bit quick they just released the iPad 2 so don't think they'll have many changes to it but then again it'll be near Christmas time so they might want to get it out before then so people could buy it as presents. Look out for the deals :p

I'm surprised they're planning on releasing it that early I thought they might have spent a good time on it and put it a lot of new features and hardware but then again I might be wrong and they've probably already done that :p

Ah, looking forward to it.

rosser

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully it will come out with the iPhone 5. I hope they both have LTE

Sent from my iPhone 3G using Tapatalk

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I'll say it again... look for it this October. Want to know more, follow me on Twitter.

How about cutting a break for those of us who don't follow Twitter? I just scrolled through over a hundred of your tweets without seeing anything substantial about iPad 3. Besides, what's the use of starting this rumor thread without at least providing some context on why we should believe you as a source?

You're an admin here, so I assume you could leak something to one of the TiPb Actuals. This would be a big story if you actually had some solid info beyond the vague rumors that have been floating since Gruber speculated about this months ago. No one doubts Apple is testing a hi-res iPad display. The question is can and will they release it this year as iPad 3?

Reactions: riley9dy

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I realize analysts are often wrong, but this seems very plausible to me.

First iPad 3 prototype expected early in 2012

Additionally, the analyst pointed to conversations with the same supply chain contacts in reporting that Apple has been "evaluating various touchscreen displays" for its third-generation iPad.

Thought he acknowledged conjecture and speculation over the possibility that such a device could launch later this year, he said his intelligence suggests that the company's progress with display manufacturers indicates a prototype of the next iPad won't be ready until early 2012, implying an announcement would again likely come in the spring.

"This should squarely put to rest any debate about a 2011 launch of the iPad 3 -- after all, Apple is severely supply constrained on the iPad 2, and it is by far the best-performing and functioning tablet in the world," the analyst wrote.

AppleInsider | Apple supply chain points to "iPhone 4S" in Sept., iPad 3 prototype in early 2012

Reactions: riley9dy

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
How about cutting a break for those of us who don't follow Twitter? I just scrolled through over a hundred of your tweets without seeing anything substantial about iPad 3. Besides, what's the use of starting this rumor thread without at least providing some context on why we should believe you as a source?

You're an admin here, so I assume you could leak something to one of the TiPb Actuals. This would be a big story if you actually had some solid info beyond the vague rumors that have been floating since Gruber speculated about this months ago. No one doubts Apple is testing a hi-res iPad display. The question is can and will they release it this year as iPad 3?

I'm just saying. And I've known what's happening with the iPad 3 since the day iPad 2 was released. You can take it or leave it - but there are certain things I will not say unless I know you personally. Here or on Twitter I may drop pieces but I will never spell it out for you. There are a few reasons why stories do not get posted on the front page and mainly it's out of respect for the source of my information as it's a personal friend. And this person knows my relation to this site. To back up my source I will tell you I knew about the release date of the original iPad a year in advance as well as the iPhone 4. I even posted the dates (very quietly) here in this very forum well before they were announced by Apple. And with pretty much anything in this industry things often change but from what I've been hearing first hand from someone close to the 3rd generation iPad, it will be this year (2011).

Last edited:

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm hoping for a retina display on iPad 3... But not that soon... I just got an iPad 2, ;) ... But I'll get it if I must, and give the 2 to my folks... Using the iPad 2, and having an iPhone 4... I'm really find it hard to adjust to the low pixel density on the iPad 2 VS my iPhone 4... So bring on the retina display sooner than later!

But I honestly don't expect the iPad 3 until Spring 2012

Jmsully

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking about getting an iPad. The dilemma was if I was to wait until the iPad 3 or get the 2. I'm going to take your advice and wait til then. I hope you are right.

catadjuster

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I was about to order my iPad 2. Since I don't have to have it right away, and they take a while to get to New Zealand anyway, I'll just wait until I get back to the states and use my wife's. Then get me a brand spanking new 3 in September or October. I sure hope it has retina display, it's hard going from my iphone 4 to the ipad 2 screen.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
All the people who are doubting you are brand new to the site. They dont know how reliable your info is. Once October comes, they will think twice. ;)

Haters are going to hate... :p (I'm just having fun with it now)

On a separate note I just planned my September trip to California. Hitting up Yosemite for some hiking.

Last edited:

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Haters are going to hate... :p (I'm just having fun with it now)

On a separate note I just planned my September trip to a California fruit company. Just going to go to work a day or two with my buddy. Should be fun. Then hitting up Yosemite for some hiking.

I've been to Yosemite. Its starts cooling down in Sept. Can get cold. Half Dome is beautiful. Have fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen