Ebook Reader for iPad 3

eric6052

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I've used Kindle, iBooks and the Nook app. I end up buying almost all books on the Kindle App since I have an Android phone and I like the cross platform availability. The iBooks app is very nice and clean but the selection isn't as wide but it's better looking than the Kindle app.

cjdaniel

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
I have used all three, Kindle, ibooks and Nook. I prefer Kindle, and actually bought a Kindle because of weight and easy to take to the beach. I like cookbooks on ipad via Kindle

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
If you're buying ebooks, kindle is better. You never know if you'll stick with Apple in the future for ibooks. At least Amazon is available on different platforms.

If you already got epubs without DRM, use ibooks. It's the best reader app.

garylapointe

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
The Kindle app is probably my most used for MOBI files. I keep my Kindle in my car and my books are always in sync on the right page on my iPad or my physical Kindle, so on the go I've always got my books even if I don't have my iPad.

Comic Zeal is great for comics and PDFs. It's got decent hierarchical folders.

iBooks is good for PDFs and EPUBs, but since it syncs, I tend to not use it as much for documents I don't need synced.

I keep PDFs of all my product manuals on my iPad, very handy, especially when traveling. But there is just so much clutter of manuals, newspapers and other types of PDFs, I'm tempted to start using different readers for different documents. Manuals in one, magazines in another, reference (dictionaries, fact books) in another.

The Adobe reader seems a little slow for PDFs with images. Page turning drags for the few things I've tried.

Anyone know of an eReader that will open DropBox or Box.net cloud storage?

Gary

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Both the Nook & the Kindle apps are pretty good for eBook reading. Before I gave my wife the Nook Simple Touch that I owned (she somehow was able to lose the power button & don't ask me how), I was using the Nook reader app on my iPad, but now, I've since purchased a Kindle Touch and now use the Kindle app. They both work similarly and reading via the iPad is nice. Still, I rarely read an eBook apart from my e-Reader because I like reading on it more.

Just Me, D

justacs

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
For non-DRM'd PDF manuals, programming books, etc - GoodReader

Bluefire - for Adobe DRM'd PDFs (Haven't actually used it yet but if I ever run across something in that format... I have it)

ePub - iBooks (for ePub books purchase from the iBookstore and also DRM free epubs), Stanza - for things downloaded in epub for offline reading (though it's gotten very flakey with iOS 6), MegaReader - not quite a Stanza replacement but almost.

eReader for old eBooks in pdb format from FictionWise(It's a DRM issue)

Safari To Go - for O'Reilly's Safari Online

ComiXology for comic books purchased thru their store.

It's be nice if there was one single eReader to cover all of these formats and DRM types. But I guess that would make too much sense.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone have a good ebook reader they're currently using for the iPad?
on my iPad 2 (same software...) I have iBooks, Nook and Kindle installed, and I may as well uninstall Kindle because I never actually use it, I have no Kindle specific books, and the PDFs I have loaded into it render and behave better in iBooks.

Which one is best depends on what you have. I do like the UI of iBooks the best, and it reads PDF and ePub so my free eBook collection is there, but I've done all of my eBook purchases for the Nook, so that is where my paid library currently is. And even though I am currently planning on going full iOS as soon as I can afford to replace my Droid with an iPhone, I am not planning on changing that anytime soon.

Vox

Jan 16, 2009
Visit site
I prefer MegaReader...it pulls epub in without problem, good support....best Stanza substitute there is on the store so far...the worse parts of it are almost as good as Stanza was, the best parts of it are better than anything else there is. Only 2 gripes I have with it is the lack of sync between devices and having to feed it books one-by-one when downloading from a Calibre repository...it's a PITA when you are trying to get a couple dozen books into your device.

But it's still the very best reader there is.

jgardner83

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
after trying Kobo and B&N, and NOT being able to sync across devices, i have used Kindle exclusively for that one reason - I then bought a kindle for outdoor reading.

projectman

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Some very good suggestions here. I have used iBooks, Kindle and Nook on my iPad 2. They all work fine. If I am reading manuals or texts that I would like to take notes, highlight or otherwise edit...I use GoodReader. It syncs to several cloud options including DropBox, Google Docs and others.

zunex

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
iBooks is good choice, but unfortunately I discovered that it doesn't have the option to open your book in another applications so I switch to Kindle. For PDFs I use PDF Max since it's free though, still don't have the chance to try GoodReader new version.

mikenyc2

Aug 2, 2008
Visit site
Without a doubt, I prefer Kindle for iPhone/iPad.

Major reason is it's multi-platform. At one point I went to an Android phone (yes, I went to the dark side. lol), downloaded Kindle and had all my books. iBooks is nice, but I would have been SOL on an Android phone. Also nice, Kindle has a pc application so I can read on my laptop (I know, why read on a laptop if I have an iPad).

And you never know, there might be a better tablet out there someday, I want my books to go with me on whatever platform I want.

Anyway, that is the major reason for me to use Kindle.

Mella

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I use iBook, Kindle and Stanza, but the Stanza is my favorite, I think Stanza is by far the most sophisticated e-Reader application for iPad, as it supports not only the open EPUB format but also the legacy Mobipocket, PalmDoc (DOC), Microsoft LIT formats as well as HTML, PDF, Microsoft Word and Rich Text Format (RTF). This built-in compatibility eliminates the need for book conversion to EPUB with applications such as Calibre.

projectman

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Kindle for most of my reading because of cross-platform availability. I use GoodReader for PDF reading because of the ease of over-writing. It also syncs with cloud storage very easily.