New iPad running HOT!

rj5570

May 5, 2010
Visit site
boy my New iPad is a bit more than warm to the touch. my iPad 2 never felt warm, but the new iPad is almost Hot to touch. Granted its been trying to sync to the cloud for about 3 hours (slow wifi here at work)

anyone else experiencing some warmth with their device (and no I am not talking about unnaturally loving it)

j_benj

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Mine got warm for little while while I was syncing with the cloud. But it's cooled off now and hasn't gotten warm again... been using it quite a bit.

dalvik

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
played ME infiltrator for like 4 minutes and it got pretty warm on the left side definitely wasnt like that with my ipad 2

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
^ In one of the reviews that I was reading this morning, it explained that this was due to LTE as well as the larger battery that is in the New iPad. The iPad 2 doesn't have LTE capabilities or a battery as large as the new iPad. Nothing to worry about. :)

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

Delrahim69

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
My new iPad is extremely hot! I noticed it when it was restoring from the cloud last night. It got hot very fast. Right now it's as hot a laptop gets. I'm worried. I owned iPad and iPad 2, neither got this hot.

When using in landscape mode with home button on the right the entire bottom of the back is HOT. Anyone contact apple care yet?

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
My new iPad is extremely hot! I noticed it when it was restoring from the cloud last night. It got hot very fast. Right now it's as hot a laptop gets. I'm worried. I owned iPad and iPad 2, neither got this hot.

When using in landscape mode with home button on the right the entire bottom of the back is HOT. Anyone contact apple care yet?

Like I said above, you can't compare the iPad 2 with the new one. The new iPad has a much larger battery as well as LTE capabilities. These two things alone will make your new device warmer to touch than your other one. I would go ahead and call Apple, but I do think they will say this is normal.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I bought the LTE iPad last night, after 3 hours with it, it didn't even get warm.

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk.

gameboy213

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Mine is hot as hell after using it for a while. I'm on wifi and not LTE so that isn't the issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Delrahim69

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I called apple and they acted like I was the only person this was happening to. I mentioned this forum among others with tons of people having the same problem. All they said was to send it in to be tested and if there was a problem they would send me a new one. Which is a joke! I've waited weeks for it to be released and am not waiting another week or two for them to send me another one. I'm just going to exchange it at Walmart when they get more in tomorrow.

Anyone get a different answer?

Also mine is the 16GB wifi version, no LTE.

kimhill

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Mine is getting warm too. When playing Modern Combat 3/Fallen Nation, it's even worse- very hot.

It's kind of disturbing. Reminds me of the old days, when Steve Jobs wanted the Mac to be silent. There's something about a hot device that's distracting. The iPad 2 was always cool.

lonbeehold

May 29, 2009
Visit site
I'm noticing much less warmth on days 2 and 3. Sill a bit warm on the left side, lower part of the bezel and the left back, but nothing like day 1. Center and right back are cool as is entire right bezel. I'm thinking part of the excessive heat on the first day was due to charging it up and downloading all of the content from my ipad2.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Mine is getting warm too. When playing Modern Combat 3/Fallen Nation, it's even worse- very hot.

It's kind of disturbing. Reminds me of the old days, when Steve Jobs wanted the Mac to be silent. There's something about a hot device that's distracting. The iPad 2 was always cool.

I played this for an hour last night and while it was warm just a it it was no where as bad as others claim. I'm just not seeing it happen.

djdan

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Heat on the first day, especially during the restore from iCloud. Is better now a bit, and I also and running about 85% brightness.

waclark57

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
While the larger battery may be contributing slightly to the temperature increase it is more likely caused by the electronics in the iPad not the battery. Yes the battery is larger because it needs to deliver more power for the new CPU/GPU, memory and display but batteries are designed to deliver a steady power load over a given time period for a specific resistance. The heat is generated by current flowing through the "load" or in this case the electronics.

Since most of the reports indicate the heat in a very localized area this would point to a component or group of components on the mobo of the iPad. Plus if you think about it, the batter is spread out inside the case. If the battery were the cause of the heat it would be across the area that is covered by the battery and not localized to a specific area as described by many people. Although you will get some heat transfer due to air movement within the case and the heat transfer properties of the aluminum back side of the case.

Also when you consider the new hardware it's easy to see why you need more power and therefore why you are generating heat. First you have 4 GPU cores, that's 4 x the power of a single core GPU. Second, there is 2X the memory which is going to draw 2 x power and you have a display that has 4 x the pixels so you know there is a power draw there.

The real question, which hasn't been answered is whether the heating will be a problem once we get into the warmer months of summer. Heat is not good for electronics, hence the warning message you get if you leave your iPhone in the car on a hot summer day.

Boobie12

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I love my iPad but this is annoying. This thing should not get this warm. My iPad 2 was never like this. I was reading a freaking PDF for class and it got warm. Seriously they gotta fix this.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234