Why is my iPad2 so sluggish?

Joe Clean

May 15, 2015
Visit site
I hate to say it but IMO you shouldn't upgrade it to iOS 9, the worst advice I can give is that you need to replace your old iPad 2...

jobosumm

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: why is my iPad2 so sluggish

I have an ipad2 that I upgraded to ios9. It runs much faster and there are zero problems.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

I hate to say it but IMO you shouldn't upgrade it to iOS 9, the worst advice I can give is that you need to replace your old iPad 2...
iOS 9 is actually running better than iOS 8 on both of my kids' iPad 2's.

My ipad2 seems really slow yet I don't have much on it, I recently upgraded to ios9.
Hello! Both iPad 2's in my household are very sluggish. They're pretty old devices at this point.:straight-face:

Joe Clean

May 15, 2015
Visit site

iOS 9 is actually running better than iOS 8 on both of my kids' iPad 2's.

Hello! Both iPad 2's in my household are very sluggish. They're pretty old devices at this point.:straight-face:

That's what I've been trying to say: just replace the iPad 2.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

That's what I've been trying to say: just replace the iPad 2.

I totally agree if it's financially plausible. The iPad 2 is an old device. It's going to be sluggish, especially when you sit it next to a brand new iPhone. Electronics age just like people.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site

My iPad 2 is almost useless now for anything other than eBooks and email. I'm going to try a device restore, I'm already on iOS 9.1 so the worst that should happen is a waste of time.

Flying Rain

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

My iPad 2 is sluggish after updating to 8.4.1. It got worst when I updated it to 9 :( Sometimes I wish apple support older devices better. Right now my only solution is to downgrade it back to 7.x

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

My iPad 2 is sluggish after updating to 8.4.1. It got worst when I updated it to 9 :( Sometimes I wish apple support older devices better. Right now my only solution is to downgrade it back to 7.x

Apple has stopped singing anything prior to iOS 9.1 so, unless you're jailbroken, there's no going back. iPad 2 is approaching five years since release so it's not crazy that it's slow. The fact that it got iOS 9 in the first place speaks volumes for Apple's continued support for it.

Flying Rain

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

Apple has stopped singing anything prior to iOS 9.1 so, unless you're jailbroken, there's no going back. iPad 2 is approaching five years since release so it's not crazy that it's slow. The fact that it got iOS 9 in the first place speaks volumes for Apple's continued support for it.

You have a point, iPad 2 is quite old now. However an update that makes a device slower doesn't feel like much of an update. A warning would be helpful when updating to newer OS on older devices.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

You have a point, iPad 2 is quite old now. However an update that makes a device slower doesn't feel like much of an update. A warning would be helpful when updating to newer OS on older devices.

Understandable. I didn't notice any performance difference in my kids' iPad 2's from iOS 8 to iOS 9 but I did from iOS 7 to iOS 8.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site

Understandable. I didn't notice any performance difference in my kids' iPad 2's from iOS 8 to iOS 9 but I did from iOS 7 to iOS 8.

For me, updating from 7 to 8.x killed performance, updating to 9.0 restored it, and 9.1 killed it again.

Flying Rain

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

I wonder if it is a hardware specific related issue since not everyone gets it. Similar to you I have friends with no issues after upgrading to OS8/9.

For me, updating from 7 to 8.x killed performance, updating to 9.0 restored it, and 9.1 killed it again.

Did the device restore ended up solving the sluggish issue for you? I am planning to give it a try. If it doesn't work, I guess it's time for me to replace my iPad 2.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site

I wonder if it is a hardware specific related issue since not everyone gets it. Similar to you I have friends with no issues after upgrading to OS8/9.
I have no way of testing for that.

Did the device restore ended up solving the sluggish issue for you? I am planning to give it a try. If it doesn't work, I guess it's time for me to replace my iPad 2.
Nope. If I could afford to replace the iPad 2, I would have done so already. And honestly, for roughly the same price-point, I'm eyeing the Surface as my next tablet device.

live311

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Web browsing seems to trip up my iPad 2 the most. In fact, the iMore web site just crashed Safari. Is there another browser that's more stable? I swear, if it weren't for pop ups and banner ads the iPad 2 would still be usable!

On another note, my iPhone 6s is handling iMore like a boss! 😎