iPad 2: still relevant?

plot_almighty

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I recently got my hands on a 3G+Wifi iPad 2. Switched from the hardware aspect of Microsofts ecosystem because I just couldn't take the disappointment anymore. Plus it both depressed and reassured me that MS services, which I still use, work 100 times better on iOS. My question is this: how much longer will this iPad be relevant before I have to upgrade? I was kind of shocked to see it listed for the new iOS 8 update.

iHackPro

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I'd say it's a good chance that iOS8 will be the last upgrade for the iPad 2. Mine has served me well the past few years and I'll probably upgrade this fall.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I ran the iOS 8 beta on my iPad 2 and it ran perfectly. I couldn't see any slow-down at all from iOS 7 (which saw no slow down from iOS 6 either).

I agree that this is probably the last major update for the iPad 2. If you are happy to stay on iOS 8, and no reason why you wouldn't, then I think the iPad 2 will be very usable for a good few years yet.

PeltFrelken

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
If you have a few hundred bucks burning a hole in your pocket then you might enjoy a new iPad. The Retina display makes a big difference. But, if you're on a stricter budget and/or you are happy with the iPad 2, then just stay put.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I would use it for as long as Apple says that it will support it. Then get the updated model whatever and whenever that will be. Like others have said, there is a huge difference in screen quality and performance.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

CrackOne

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I purchased my iPad 2 brand new 3 years ago. I know that technology changes rapidly, but it is only 3 years old. I am shocked at how people just accept that a 3 year old product is obsolete. I am really upset with Apple for abandoning owners of 3 year devices. It is just not right.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Depending on what you do on your iPad it can be relevant for a long time. If you are the basic user who likes to browse Facebook, look at a few apps and do some reading you may not need to buy another iPad until the battery meets it's maker. That being said if you want the latest technology and camera etc etc then it probably won't be the greatest too much longer

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I think that Apple should ditch the iPad2 from their lineup and replace it with the model, I forget the exact name/number, that was just before the Air. More for getting rid of the legacy Dock Connector than anything else, though the spec bump would be good too.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
One of the reasons I want to replace my iPad 2 is the 30 pin connector. When traveling I always have to make sure I have a 30 pin in my bag. My iPad gets lightweight duty so performance is not a issue.

CrackOne

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I like technology as much as the next guy, probably more so. (I have an iPhone 6 Plus.)

Automobile manufacturers have to support their products for at least 7 years. Most do so for even longer than that. I just think that a 3 year life cycle for a $900 product is absurd. (I have the 64 GB, Verizon model.) I accept that new products are constantly coming out and are better than the older models. That is great. But, the manufacturer should not abandon support for 3 year old products. iOS 8 on the iPad 2 just doesn't work well. (BTW, I did download 8.1 yesterday and see only minimal improvement. I am going to try a clean install to see if that makes a difference.)

I think that Apple should make appropriate accommodations in software upgrades to make older products work at least as it did before the upgrade. If that does not work out for some, let the customer go back to the older software version. Apple is not doing this.

Vent over. We now return you to the rest of your wonderful Tuesday.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner