Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    263 Global Posts

Default YouTube vids that won't play on my ipad but will play on my Android tablets ?????

More than a few times when I'm pulling up YouTube videos on my ipad 2 I get that "won't play on this device" and switching to desktop or mobile viewing rarely helps,,, yet the same exact videos will play fine on my Android tablets,,,,,, why is that ?,,,,, and is there a fix ?

I'm using the official iOS YouTube app as well.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
    Davyo

Global Posts
    19,296 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: YouTube vids that won't play on my ipad but will play on my Android tablets ?????

I can only assume the videos are not formatted to play on the iPad. Have you tried playing the video directly from the web instead of via the YouTube app?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3.

Default Re: YouTube vids that won't play on my ipad but will play on my Android tablets ?????

Quote Originally Posted by Davyo View Post
    More than a few times when I'm pulling up YouTube videos on my ipad 2 I get that "won't play on this device" and switching to desktop or mobile viewing rarely helps,,, yet the same exact videos will play fine on my Android tablets,,,,,, why is that ?,,,,, and is there a fix ?

I'm using the official iOS YouTube app as well.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
    Davyo
    I can attest that this guy isn't a troll - i've seen his other posts. I haven't had any problems watching youtube videos on my 3GS nor my iPad 3. Can you post some links of videos you're not able to play. I dont know much about programming, but the way I though is iOS converts files on the fly from youtube thus regardless if it was programmed to play on iOS or not. I had a couple of videos not play from a website or two due to flash requirement, but those days are long gone. I stumble on these videos like once or twice a year - then I search it in youtube and it plays from there.

There's also a possibility of the video having a copyright tag or something that it infringes on - Apple is very keen on keeping these practices at bay as apposed to Android OS.

I think it's a great topic, thanks for posting.
    Don't mess with a man who has more faith than he has choices. -me
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    263 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alik Malix View Post
    I can attest that this guy isn't a troll - i've seen his other posts. I haven't had any problems watching youtube videos on my 3GS nor my iPad 3. Can you post some links of videos you're not able to play. I dont know much about programming, but the way I though is iOS converts files on the fly from youtube thus regardless if it was programmed to play on iOS or not. I had a couple of videos not play from a website or two due to flash requirement, but those days are long gone. I stumble on these videos like once or twice a year - then I search it in youtube and it plays from there.

There's also a possibility of the video having a copyright tag or something that it infringes on - Apple is very keen on keeping these practices at bay as apposed to Android OS.

I think it's a great topic, thanks for posting.
    Thanks for letting everyone know Im not a troll,,,, I own and love both Android and Apple products,,,,,, more toys to play with = more fun

Anyhow,,,this is what I see more often than not when I pull up YouTube vids on my iPad2, either in desktop or mobile mode,,,, I never get this issue with my Android tablets,,,,, it happens so much Im getting to where Im almost thinking about not using my iPad for YouTube anymore,,, very frustrating.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3.

People Are Awesome are probably the best compilations on youtube, btw. I'll try it on my ipad later, see if I have same issues.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    263 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alik Malix View Post
    People Are Awesome are probably the best compilations on youtube, btw. I'll try it on my ipad later, see if I have same issues.
    Cool,,,, it was a vid I just randomly pulled up, still have not watched it yet.

I would venture to say I get that "cant play on this device" on about 30 or 40% of the YouTube vids I try to watch no matter what the videos are or the content,,,,, and as I mentioned before I'm using the official YouTube iOS app,,,,, I did try the "Player" app was not to impressed with the UI of that app.

I never had this problem back in the day when Apple put the native YouTube app on all their products,,, but then Apple had their little spat with YouTube and pulled the native app,,,, ever since then its been problematic watching YouTube on my iPad.

Cheers
    Davyo
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3.

Ok so I did find the same exact video, and no it's not playing on my iPad either. What I understand is that Android devices can be set to show themselves as PC to websites including YouTube and thats why it will play on Android. As a publisher of a video I can set a video not to play on mobile devices such as phones and tablets. When I tried the same video the message on screen said "The owner of this video did not allow this video to play on mobile devices" (not exact words, I cant remember exactly).
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts

it happens with me too. then i just force quit all the apps and clear the cache of safari and do a reboot. Then everything works fine.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3.

Quote Originally Posted by sanc333 View Post
    it happens with me too. then i just force quit all the apps and clear the cache of safari and do a reboot. Then everything works fine.
    I doubt that's the case. It is more systematic then spontaneous....

EDIT: I guess I was wrong... See Davyo's post below.
    Last edited by Alik Malix; 09-13-2013 at 03:39 PM.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts

its not the case. some times even popular youtube channels' videos also don't play. but after repeating the above mentioned steps that video starts playing.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    263 Global Posts

Ahhhh,,, I found the fix,,,,,,, I purchased another new ipad mini today and when loading all the apps I loaded the official Google YouTube app as I had done in the past with my other ipads, but now all vids play fine with my new ipad mini.

I then uninstall and reinstalled the Google YouTube app on my ipad 2 and everything works perfectly now,,,,, I guess just a refresh of the the app was all that was needed.

Cheers
    Davyo
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3.

Quote Originally Posted by Davyo View Post
    Ahhhh,,, I found the fix,,,,,,, I purchased another new ipad mini today and when loading all the apps I loaded the official Google YouTube app as I had done in the past with my other ipads, but now all vids play fine with my new ipad mini.

I then uninstall and reinstalled the Google YouTube app on my ipad 2 and everything works perfectly now,,,,, I guess just a refresh of the the app was all that was needed.

Cheers
    Davyo
    I guess my reasoning is moot now.. lol thanks for update...
    iMore Nanite

I have the google ipad app for youtube and I still have problems getting videos to play. For example the "Broken Circle Breakdown" movie soundtrack will not play-it says not available on this platform. I simply do not understand why????????????????
    iMore Nanite

i dont understand why apple support can't help customers in this matter. only the customers need to run from pillar to post and find no solution still.

i have been viewing youtube videos happily all along but only for the couple of days i am facing this problem of not able to view videos of youtube in my IPAD!

Global Posts
    2,538 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by gat1240 View Post
    I have the google ipad app for youtube and I still have problems getting videos to play. For example the "Broken Circle Breakdown" movie soundtrack will not play-it says not available on this platform. I simply do not understand why????????????????
    It's up to whoever made the video to decide whether they will allow it to be viewed on mobile devices