Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JustMe'D
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    467 Global Posts

Default iPad 2 specs, Good Enough?

I have an iPad 2 that i got used for xmas, and it has worked out very well for taking notes, and being my computer at college..

But I worry that the specs are outdated...

512 ram

1024x768 screen.

DO you all thing the screen is bad on the ipad 2? I mean i think its fine, for my uses, but im really envious of the newer iPads with the retina display.

also i worry about the ram being a bottleneck to speed...

I dont game hardly on my ipad, just use it for web/apps/notes so maybe i should just sit tight.

Thoughts?

Global Posts
    22,195 Global Posts
    iOS Version

To answer your initial question, yes, the iPad 2 should be sufficient for the uses you mentioned. I have an iPad 2 and have had it for quite some time and I have no intentions of upgrading to a newer iPad until it craps out on me. Period! Having said that, there is nothing wrong with the newer iPads that have the retina display. The display is gorgeous and those iPads are indeed powerful, but, are they what you "need"? Based on what you've posted, I would say that you don't. Still, it's your money, your time and your choice. Choose wisely...
    ladyc0524 likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    762 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: iPad 2 specs, Good Enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla View Post
    I have an iPad 2 that i got used for xmas, and it has worked out very well for taking notes, and being my computer at college..
    I bought the iPad 2new last April when the "New iPad" came out. Eould I have preferred the new one with the Retia display? Absolutely. Do I regret not getting it? Only for displaying photos.

Side by side comparisons have shown an effective zero difference in device speed. All of the spec boost from the larger RAM and better CPU goes to driving that Retina display leaving apps with the same amount of resources as the iPad 2.
    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
    Double ROT-13 encrypted for your protection
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    467 Global Posts

Hmm, good point.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    754 Global Posts

I've had an iPad 2 for 15 months now and had no issues with it and it's plenty "Good Enough" as my daily mobile work device. It runs the apps I use fine - bear in mind most 3rd Party apps were designed for the lower spec iPad in the first place - and that includes work apps, some games, TV streaming apps, etc. Though frankly, I've yet to find the quintessential word processor for it. But that's an app lapse, not an iDevice one.

As long as it's battery is still strong and its storage is large enough for your needs, it will be fine. Bear in mind, during the last iPad refresh, it was the 'New' iPad Apple dumped in favour of holding onto the iPad 2. And it was the iPad 2's specs used for the Mini. The retina 4 is lovely, but almost entirely unnecessary for 99% of real-world use.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    787 Global Posts

i also got my iPad 2 last may after the "new iPad" came out and also have used mine for school. there's always going to be a newer something in the pipe. as long as its functional you're good.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    762 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza1 View Post
    Bear in mind, during the last iPad refresh, it was the 'New' iPad Apple dumped in favour of holding onto the iPad 2. And it was the iPad 2's specs used for the Mini. The retina 4 is lovely, but almost entirely unnecessary for 99% of real-world use.
    "Dumped"? I know Apple replaced the Dock Connector with the new Lightning connector, and maybe upgraded a few other items internally. But there isn't enough of a spec difference to "allow" Apple to sell the 3rd gen device at the lower iPad 2 price.

I'm somewhat surprised that the iPad 2 is still available new. I'd have thought that Apple would "dump" it in favor of the Mini.
    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
    Double ROT-13 encrypted for your protection
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    567 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by gordol View Post
    "Dumped"? I know Apple replaced the Dock Connector with the new Lightning connector, and maybe upgraded a few other items internally. But there isn't enough of a spec difference to "allow" Apple to sell the 3rd gen device at the lower iPad 2 price.

I'm somewhat surprised that the iPad 2 is still available new. I'd have thought that Apple would "dump" it in favor of the Mini.
    People still like the full size. That's why it wasn't dumped.

Global Posts
    1,818 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    IOS 8

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    To answer your initial question, yes, the iPad 2 should be sufficient for the uses you mentioned. I have an iPad 2 and have had it for quite some time and I have no intentions of upgrading to a newer iPad until it craps out on me. Period! Having said that, there is nothing wrong with the newer iPads that have the retina display. The display is gorgeous and those iPads are indeed powerful, but, are they what you "need"? Based on what you've posted, I would say that you don't. Still, it's your money, your time and your choice. Choose wisely...
    Exactly the same situation as me. I have the 64Gb 3G iPad 2 and it suits my needs absolutely perfectly. Like JustMe'D, I won't upgrade to the newest one until this one craps out on me either, as there is simply no need. I only use mine for reading text, internet browsing and the occasional game. To be honest, all the games I do play on it are not very graphics intensive as I have god's own PC to game on should I want to do that.

Gorilla, unless you NEED the Retina display (or just must have the latest shiny), from what you say, the iPad 2 will be more than adequate for your needs.
    iPhone Newbie

i think 32GB is enough fro normal usage.
    Last edited by Alli; 02-17-2013 at 10:20 AM.
    iPhone Intermediate

I have had my iPad 2 since launch, and it has never let me down. It still hums along and handles everything i throw at. Its a very versatile device. It will be a while before I replace it.
    Apple built it, so it will work.
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    567 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I keep thinking that I should upgrade my iPad. But I think that I'm going to wait for the iPad 6. It should come out the same year as the iPhone 6. I will get them both at the same time.