Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Unhappy Forwarded e-mail w/ attachments arrives as garbage

So my wife got this iPad 2 from her employer. Whenever she received an e-mail with attached photos, she forwards it to me. In my gmail account, the forwarded email is an unusable attachment itself, with content a mix of the original message and the photos included as a great bunch of alphanumerical data. Is it the iPad email app that kills the forward, or should blame be awarded to gmail?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Forwarded e-mail w/ attachments arrives as garbage-garbledmessage.gif  
    Last edited by florismk; 10-21-2012 at 08:24 AM.

Global Posts
    23,215 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Forwarded e-mail w/ attachments arrives as garbage

Are you sure the forwarded message isn't encrypted? Also, can you view the forwarded messages & attachment by logging in to your gmail account through your iPad's Safari app?
    Thanked by:
    florismk (10-22-2012)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    802 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Forwarded e-mail w/ attachments arrives as garbage

Quote Originally Posted by florismk View Post
    So my wife got this iPad 2 from her employer. Whenever she received an e-mail with attached photos, she forwards it to me. In my gmail account, the forwarded email is an unusable attachment itself, with content a mix of the original message and the photos included as a great bunch of alphanumerical data. Is it the iPad email app that kills the forward, or should blame be awarded to gmail?
    Can you post a screenshot of what you see?
    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
    Double ROT-13 encrypted for your protection
    Thanked by:
    florismk (10-22-2012)
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iPhone Nanite

Wait, there seems to be a solution: patience. Opening the attached message in Gmail (Chrome on Windows 7) doesn't work, but opening it in the Gmail app under Android takes a lot of time (after downloading), but finally results in a legible message with its own usable attachments.

Thanks for your trouble!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    802 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by florismk View Post
    I just forwarded a message from my iPad 2 to myself and viewed it with Thunderbird on my desktop, with no problems. There may be something with the email app on the iPad, but I think most of the blame here belongs to Gmail. From what I can see in the screenshot, it appears that the root of the issue is broken headers in the forwarded message. How and why they broke, I cannot say, but the fact that you did find something that can read the message properly, or at least properly enough for you to see the file payload, shows that the mail client you are using (GMail) isn't forgiving enough to work through the issue on its own.

Normally, I'd say to send a help request to the developer of the mail client, but even if you can find the feedback link for GMail, they never respond. If issues like this persist, I would instead recommend that you use a desktop client to view your email from your computer. Thunderbird, for example, is available for all desktop systems and the GMail help pages will tell you how to configure GMail to be accessable via IMAP (which you will want to do). There are other mail clients that will work depending on your preferences.
    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
    Double ROT-13 encrypted for your protection
    Thanked by:
    florismk (10-22-2012)
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iPhone Nanite

Must admit that I right-cropped the image; first lines of the msg extend to include full header info, as far as I can tell. (Cropped it because I figured the alphanumerical JPEG data were the issue/point.) Anyway, with the Google Gmail app actually able to open the attachment, my problem is solved. I have made a note of Thunderbird, in case I do want to use a desktop client in the future.