Handbrake Settings / Video transfer

Xara

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I have just been on holiday so have lots of video that I want to transfer to my iPad. The video is an mpeg format so I believe that I will need to convert this before I can transfer it onto my iPad.

Having searched the forums I found handbrake getting regular recommendations. I downloaded it and tried it and found the quality to of the converted file to be rubbish, the picture quality was bad and the sound wasn't great. I must be doing something wrong. Can anyone tell me what settings I should be using or what I should be doing with handbrake, I'm a bit of a novice with these things. Thanks.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I haven't used Handbrake for a number of years, so I can't give you guidance there, but if you are a Mac user, you might wish to try the freeware Smart Converter from the Mac App Store. While I've not tried it on mpeg files, it's blurb does certainly suggest it reads many files and I've had some considerable success using its presets, including that to iPad. And if it doesn't work or the quality isn't up to scratch for you, you've not spent money or time, having to fiddle with settings. And, if it does work, you might wish to try the 'Pro' version, which allows you to place many files in it at once for conversion and choose the destination location.

If you're using a Windows computer, you might want to take a look at Freemake Converter - again, I've had pretty good success with this - and again, free with minimal fiddling. This will also allow multiple files to be loaded in at once - but again, I've not tried mpeg in it.

Xara

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info Bazza. I'm a PC user at present but will be getting my hands on Mac Book next year hopefully lol

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info Bazza. I'm a PC user at present but will be getting my hands on Mac Book next year hopefully lol

Well, Xara, I only comparatively recently returned to Mac (once the new Air came out this summer and 'old' new models were being sold at a discount) to replace a XP Asus netbook. Came across Smart Converter as a replacement to to the PC-friendly Freemake. Suggest giving Freemake a whirl.

Bon chance!

DamnSkippy

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Since you just installed it I assume you are running 0.9.8. While there are lots of things to be discussed when it comes to converting video lets start simple. If you have an iPad 2 or 3 use the Apple TV 2 preset. You can use the Apple TV 3 if you have an iPad 3 if your source is above 720p and you are very picky about how the video looks on the iPad and you don't care about file size.

If your source video files are interlaced turn on the decomb filter.

Apple4ever2011

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I use 123DVD Gold..... I convert my Movies to MP4 at about 1972Kbps-2044Kbps give and take depending on Runtime. It's easier to Move files over to iTunes....

Traisoon

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys! Can anyone can guide me with a good Handbrake setting to convert a 720p video file for iPhone 5/iPad like MKV HD quality with a smaller size so it can play through AirPlay on Apple Tv? Currently all the videos file size I converted way too big and takes up too much space on my iPhone 5/iPad. Thanks!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I use 123DVD Gold..... I convert my Movies to MP4 at about 1972Kbps-2044Kbps give and take depending on Runtime. It's easier to Move files over to iTunes....

Easier that Drag and Drop onto the iTunes icon? Hmmm.

---------- Post Merged at 07:03 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:02 AM ----------

I have just been on holiday so have lots of video that I want to transfer to my iPad. The video is an mpeg format so I believe that I will need to convert this before I can transfer it onto my iPad.

Having searched the forums I found handbrake getting regular recommendations. I downloaded it and tried it and found the quality to of the converted file to be rubbish, the picture quality was bad and the sound wasn't great. I must be doing something wrong. Can anyone tell me what settings I should be using or what I should be doing with handbrake, I'm a bit of a novice with these things. Thanks.

Here are a couple of sources for Handbrake Presets:

Optimized Handbrake Presets to Encode Video for Your New iPad or iPhone 4

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/Presets

DamnSkippy

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys! Can anyone can guide me with a good Handbrake setting to convert a 720p video file for iPhone 5/iPad like MKV HD quality with a smaller size so it can play through AirPlay on Apple Tv? Currently all the videos file size I converted way too big and takes up too much space on my iPhone 5/iPad. Thanks!

Use the Apple TV2 preset and turn down the quality slider some.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73