Is an iPad 2 Still a Good Buy?

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, wait a month and the iPad Mini running iOS 6 will be announced, available in time for Christmas and at a (for Apple) competitive price to the 'others' of that size. Then your clunky, huge 10" iPad 3 will just seem 'so last year'...

:rolleyes:

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the comments. Didn't think I'd get so many responses. I think I'm holding off on a 2, though. I've decided I really like the size and style of smaller tablets so I think I'm waiting to see what we hear about the Mini.

I kind of think at this stage in the game it's a little late to get a 2, unless it was just dirt cheap. Like some of you have said, it probably won't be supported in the next update, much in the way that the 1 won't get iOS 6. While that won't make it obsolete, it doesn't mean the best news for app compatability. As we all know, not all apps will work on iOS 4, and I'm assuming we'll run into that problem with iOS 6, 7, and so on and so forth. I'm also the type of person that wants the latest and greatest in OS and hardware, so it's probably best for me to wait.

Thanks again to everyone.

(I kinda wanted to chime back in after so many of you had commented and I just let you all go on with the discussion. :))

Phoqcey

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I do not see major technical differences.
One thing that might differ is the number you mention when they ask you about your new toy ;)

zunex

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
With the 3 already out, and not knowing what may come out in September, is an iPad 2 still a good buy? I don't really know what the difference between the 2 and 3 are, aside from the retina screen. But is the upgrade absolutely worth it? Especially if you could get a MINT iPad 2 16gb for $300?

I guess what I'm asking is, at this stage in the game, is an iPad 2 still going to be a viable option for the next year or two, or should I wait and save a few bucks to see what else is in the pipeline?

Absolutely yes! I still have the 16GB iPad 2 at the moment, and despite it is 2 years old, it really help me a lot. The biggest different between iPad 2 & 3 is the screen resolution, which - believe me - you're not gonna need it for the long-term using purpose. If you wanna save your money, don't hesitate to buy an iPad 2.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Ask all the people who bought an iPad one to save money when the 2 came out how they like iOS 6... Apple outlet has refurb 16 gig iPad 3's for $450. Last I saw a new iPad 2 16 gig is $399.

CandyBean

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Definitely. I feel like.. if I had the iPad and the iPad 2 came out, I would want to switch, but not from iPad 2 to 3 cuz I dont think there's too much difference. Prolly just the screen resolution but mine on the iPad 2 still looks damn amazing.

---------- Post Merged at 01:14 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:13 AM ----------

Definitely. I feel like.. if I had the iPad and the iPad 2 came out, I would want to switch, but not from iPad 2 to 3 cuz I dont think there's too much difference. Prolly just the screen resolution but mine on the iPad 2 still looks damn amazing.

Bears

May 1, 2012
Visit site
It should be viable for the next couple of years at least. The speed is on par with the new ipad.

Funny thing is this. I'd consider the ipad 2 more future proof than the ipad 3. The ipad 3 seemed to choke or lag some (at times and depending on what you're doing) and you get the idea it's struggling to push those pixels. It all has to do with how much you want that retina screen.

At this stage in the cycle, i'd either get the ipad 2 at a great price or wait for a refresh.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Bought my iPad 2 back in April and have not regretted it ever since. I have had plenty of time to mess around with a friends iPad 3 and despite the beautiful screen, I still can't justify the price.

michikade#AC

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I bought an iPad 2 in September because of the price point. Retina is beautiful but for me, the iPad 2 was a better choice based on what I use it for alone.

Maybe when the next one comes out I'll upgrade to a 3 - I don't mind being a step behind the latest and greatest, considering the track record of iOS updates means I will get plenty of mileage out of my current iPad.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
A bit late, but here's my take on it: Last April I got the iPad2 for one reason - price. As an avid photo honbiest, I really wanted that Retna display and more storage, but the 16GB New iPad is $100 more than the iPad2, which only comes in that one size now, and the 32GB iPad is even more.

That said, I am very happy with the iPad2.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I bought the 64Gb 3G iPad 2 last May in Los Angeles whilst over there working. I wanted to use it to store scripts, photos, rushes and edits and it does that perfectly.

It does absolutely everything I could want in a tablet and I won't swap it out for the iPad 3 unless I can get one free. The lack of Siri is a non event as I doubt I would ever use it on the iPad. On my iPhone 5, Siri is a godsend and I love it, Most everything that I would use Siri for, such as appointments, calendar events etc, will auto-sync to the iPad anyway, so it's just not a big deal.

Although the iPad 2 has been superseded by the iPad 3, I don't consider the 2 in any way an outdated device in the same way that a 2011 MacBook is not obsolete just because the 2012 model has been released.

I think the iPads 2 will be around and supported for a good few years yet and if you can get one at a great price then go for it. Of course, if the price point of the 2 is similar to a comparable 3 then it makes sense to go for the newest iPad.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Seems Apple has answered the question for you -

With their recent announcement, they've kept the iPad 2, chucked the 'New' and have based the Mini on the hardware of the 2.

Seems Apple likes the product. Why wouldn't you?

;)

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods