Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

1 Posts

Default Travel 2 Peru

I bought a Verizon Ipad2 when I should have gotten AT&T since I travel alot. I am not sure how the sim cards work and do not have an IPhone ( yet). When I go to Peru in Sept., can I get a sim card there to use my 3G while there? And when I do get my iPhone do I have to get Verizon or doesn't it matter if I get AT&T?
    iPhone Nanite

8 Posts

I am not sure about the iPhone in the US, but all iPads are unlocked. If you can get your hands onto a local micro-SIM card in Peru, you're all set and good to go. You can also get a regular SIM and cut it down to the right size as well (micro-SIMs are smaller, but not very different). Follow this tutorial if you need to do so:
    Last edited by Antrikshy; 08-11-2012 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Formatting
    iPhone Nanite

5 Posts

Default Re: Travel 2 Peru

A prepaid global SIM card is for those who is thinking of using his mobile overseas and do not want to pay the huge roaming charges by taking their GSM mobile along with them. Now, you can buy the SIM card before you leave home and also rent the GSM mobile that will work all over the world. pay as you go
    iMore Intermediate

267 Posts
    Global Posts
    909 Global Posts

Default Re: Travel 2 Peru

...Or you could just rely on wi-fi in hotels, coffee shops, etc (often free) and use Facetime, Skype or one of the VoIP apps if you must use it as a 'phone'.