Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Default Small area cracked on corner of iPad, what to do?

So the top left corner (portrait mode) of my iPad is now cracked, see pictures attached. I've checked and it's around $230 to fix. It's really not that bad and you don't notice it because it's not touching the screen, only bezel area. My question is, should I get it fixed or deal with it? If I deal with it, how should I address the cracked area? I don't want the little pieces of glass falling out, or will that even happen? I also don't want to add a screen protector because I use my iPad for note taking and that completely changes everything when adding a screen protector. Any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Small area cracked on corner of iPad, what to do?-photo-2.jpg   Small area cracked on corner of iPad, what to do?-photo-1.jpg  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,089 Global Posts
    iOS Version

You can do a out of warranty replacement with Apple. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $299 I think. I couldn't stand lookign at that.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iPhone Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    You can do a out of warranty replacement with Apple. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $299 I think. I couldn't stand lookign at that.
    Believe me, it makes me sick to look at it. I just want this one to hang on until the new New iPad next year.

And for the record, I had the Incase Magnet Snap Case on it, as you can see from the picture.
    ( ).
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Here ---->

And Here----->
    iphone 4s, iphone 3gs, iPhone 5, iPod 5th gen, iPad 2, apple t.v. 3.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

You didn't say which iPad you had. I just did this and it went very well.

Instructions -

Parts -

This digitizer front screen comes with a new home button and the adhesive tap on the screen already. You can order it without these and it will be cheaper.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iPhone Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by jayblazer View Post
    Here ---->

And Here----->
    Thanks for the tips. I usually try to do most things like this myself, but I'm very nervous about trying to fix this. I'm almost willing to live with it but need something to keep it from spreading or small pieces from falling out. I plan to visit a couple of places locally that do this type of repair and get an estimate. I've also setup an appointment at Apple on Wednesday.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by caleb22 View Post
    Thanks for the tips. I usually try to do most things like this myself, but I'm very nervous about trying to fix this. I'm almost willing to live with it but need something to keep it from spreading or small pieces from falling out. I plan to visit a couple of places locally that do this type of repair and get an estimate. I've also setup an appointment at Apple on Wednesday.
    Be careful. The more it cracks the harder it is to replace it. If you cause the crack to spread more it will be very hard for you to get all of the pieces off when you replace the screen.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iPhone Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by medic0712 View Post
    You didn't say which iPad you had. I just did this and it went very well.

Instructions -

Parts -

This digitizer front screen comes with a new home button and the adhesive tap on the screen already. You can order it without these and it will be cheaper.
    I have the wifi / AT&T model, iPad 2. Had you done anything like this before?
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Yes as a matter of fact I just did this last week. iPad 2 3G ATT
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iPhone Newbie

Did you order the new home button and adhesive tape? Seems like the home button be worth it so that it's flush and secure. I'm very tempted to try.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iPhone Newbie

Oh, never mind, I see how the home button locks in now. Went back and looked closer at the parts.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Yes. It seemed like a good idea. Might as well replace the home button while you have it open. And the adhesive tape is good because you will destroy the existing tape removing it.

Word of advice. Once you get the cover off. Be careful of the LCD ribbon cable and the WiFi antenna. Follow the instructions very carefully.
    Before placing the new screen on. Remove all of the existing tape and residue. If you don't then new tape will not stick properly.
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    iPhone Newbie

Ok, thanks. Still nervous about it and will check a few local places first, but I'm leaning toward giving this a try. After watching the video above, it really doesn't seem too hard. Just have to be patient and very careful.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

If you follow the instructions and take your time it will be easy.
    iPhone Beginner

iOS Version

Why dont you look for an exchange partner? I mean you can either go for out of warranty replacement, or you can exchange it with someone how really wants to have an ipad and doesnt care much about a small crack, so try that, who knows you may come across some mad Apple fan!
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: Small area cracked on corner of iPad, what to do?

Well, the same thing happened to mine only a little bigger, i know it looks bad, but its a waist if money to get it even if its not affecting to ipad. If it gets worse, and goes onto the screen and its hard to play with i would buy it

Hope that helped😃

Global Posts
    3,632 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS7.1b5

Black electrical tape

I have an iPad with cracked glass too. I ran a strip of electrical tape all around the black bezel and put the ipad in a case that covers the bezel. You cant even tell its broken.
    iMore Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by caleb22 View Post
    So the top left corner (portrait mode) of my iPad is now cracked, see pictures attached. I've checked and it's around $230 to fix. It's really not that bad and you don't notice it because it's not touching the screen, only bezel area. My question is, should I get it fixed or deal with it? If I deal with it, how should I address the cracked area? I don't want the little pieces of glass falling out, or will that even happen? I also don't want to add a screen protector because I use my iPad for note taking and that completely changes everything when adding a screen protector. Any ideas?
    It will definitely get worse over time. Where do you live? I repair those in my area for $175. You will likely tear the power flex cable and wifi antenna during the repair. Most first timers do that, even after professional training. The photo is not clear enough for me to be able to tell you if the frame will need to be bent, filed, or left alone.

Also, be careful choosing a digitizer. They are not all the same. Just like tires: they're all round, they're all black, but come rain or snow, and you really see the difference.

Global Posts
    4,720 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by bamf-hacker View Post
    Black electrical tape

I have an iPad with cracked glass too. I ran a strip of electrical tape all around the black bezel and put the ipad in a case that covers the bezel. You cant even tell its broken.
    I would do this till I upgrade and then sell the ipad as is

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
    iMore Nanite

I just remedied same problem. Crack in corner, with a chip of glass missing. Not worth replacing glass as
    It does not interfere with screen. Solution I found - black nail polish, Walmart, Sally Hansen hard as nails. A couple of coats seems to hold everything together and you only notice at an angle.
    Good Luck!!!
    Thanked by:
    gsoha (12-01-2013)
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

I just replaced the glass on my iPad 2 and it was 129. I went to Dr Phonez and they were really professional.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Devices | iPhone 5 16 GIG Black & Slate | iPad 2 16 GIG White | Macbook Pro 13-inch
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

When my ex girlfriend cracked her screen I just applied some locktite super glue on it and worked it in as much as I could with my finger.
    If you do it just be quick about it. She didn't have any sort of insurance and I knew it would happen again. S why change the screen. For her anyhow
    iP5 64gb
    HP Elitebook 8760W Intel 2960xm, 256 gb ssd, 2-1tb hdds, 32gb ram, Nvidia 4000m
    HP Elitebook 8560W Intel 2760qm, 256 gb ssd, 32gb ram, Nvidia 2000m
    Surface Pro 128, 64gb Micro sd. 1tb Seagate Wireless plus.
    iMore Intermediate

Apple will replace under Warranty

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app
    iMore Nanite

You have to be careful. The more it cracks, the harder it is to replace it.