Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Default iMessage is a pain!!

Step one: register ipad with iMessage
    Step two: Send a message - WRONG!! Colleagues who I know are registered are rejected by my iPad as not registered!!
    And when they try to send one to me their iPad says I am not registered.
    Yet I can send to my iPhone!

Any thoughts out there??

iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    823 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Turn imessage off and reboot then turn on
    iPhone Newbie

Are you trying to use an email address or phone number on the iPad? On the iPad, you can only use an email address. On the iPhone, you can use your phone number, your email address or both. I wish you could tie your iPad to your to you mobile number so any messages come to both devices, but I don't know of any way to do so. Could that maybe be your issue and why you can send from your iPhone but not your iPad?
    iMore Guru

iOS Version

Under messages in Settings check that they are sending it to the right "receive at".
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    TBD

Sort of sounds like my issue with iMessage (this might get a little confusing):

I have an iPad 2 and an iMac. My friend ("Sara") has an iPhone and an iMac, and my husband ("John") has an iPhone.

I am able to send an iMessage from my iPad (and iMac) to John's iPhone (to his phone number). Never had an issue at all. His phone number works just fine.

I am NOT able to send an iMessage to Sara's iPhone number, however, I can send it to her email address, which still went to her iPhone and her iMac (well, SOMETIMES it would go to her iPhone). When I went to the Messages app on the iPad, I'd type in Sara, and the little blue message icon only appeared next to her email address. If I tried using her iPhone number, it would say "(xxx) xxx-xxxx is not registered with iMessage".

I even asked her to meet me at Starbucks a few weeks ago, and bring her iPhone and Macbook, so that we could check her iMessage settings. Her iPhone number is on her Apple ID account, and so is her email address. We turned off and on iMessage, rebooted the phone, etc. Everything that we researched online, we did. No luck.

Yesterday, surprisingly, I was able to iMessage her from my iPad using her iPhone number! But today, as I sit here typing this message to you, I just tested to see if I still could, and guess what? I'm getting that same "(xxx) xxx-xxxx is not registered with iMessage" error again. But, I am able to iMessage to her email address.

Another issue is, sometimes when I use her email address, she doesn't get the iMessage on her iPhone, so I'll have to text her "old school style" (I don't have an iPhone) and say "did you get my iMessage?" And she'll say no.

It's frustrating.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by caribouranch; 07-10-2012 at 11:14 AM.
    iPhone Nanite

Default iMessaging

iOS6, out later this summer will unify both your mobile number and email address so that all iMessages will be received on all devices simultaneously
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,401 Global Posts
    iOS Version

It seems to be more reliable if you send to an email address. But IMO iMessage still isn't very reliable.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    19,870 Global Posts

Rare hiccups here and there, but definitely one of the better options for sending/receiving pictures/videos quickly.

I'm gonna love the sharing feature for PhotoStream.

Current Phones: iOS, Android, Windows Phone, BlackBerry OS & WebOS
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    TBD

Sending to her email address usually won't go to her iPhone, so for me, sending to email isn't reliable. And it's definitely not a "rare hiccup here and there", lol, I'm unable to iMessage her iPhone number most of the time.

Let's hope what mpickard5 said was true, and iOS 6 fixes this issue, since I know I'm definitely not the only one who has had this issue.
    iPhone Beginner

iOS Version

There are a lot of expectations form the iOS6, not sure how much iOS6 will be able to satisfy but still I hope that iOS6 will solve all such traditional issues of iphone!
    iPhone Nanite

I've been receiving iMessages straight to my email inbox. Does anybody know how to fix this?

Global Posts
    20,249 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by daniboi678 View Post
    I've been receiving iMessages straight to my email inbox. Does anybody know how to fix this?
    Make sure that the person you are i-messaging has either an iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch (iOS 5 or later) or a Mac with OS X Mountain Lion as well as have iMessage enables on his or her device. If you tell a person that they can iMessage you via and that person does not have the aforementioned devices or iMessage enabled, their text messages to you will go directly to your email inbox.

Just Me, D
    (iPhone)
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: iMessage is a pain!!

Yes! i think i figured it out. not regestered with i message means that you cant send it to them. if you go to the imessage site it will say that you can only send it to a person with an ipad, iphone or ipod touch. hope this helped you.
    iPhone Nanite

I am registered on iMessage and I was able to text my friend and he didn't have an iPhone or iPad or anything like that. And now I'm unable to text others from my iPod? This doesn't make sense
    iPhone Nanite

Never mind. He was using an iPhone