Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

Default Corporate iPad - need help

Need the community's expertise here.

I have a Verizon iPad through through work. There are no policies or restrictions in place that I can see, yet the ability to block websites, such as EBay, is present. Also, certain apps, like Cloudon, won't work over 3G, even though they work over wifi, and Dropbox, etc work fine on their own.

How does my IT Dept. do this? I am not interested in defeating the blocked websites, I just want my apps to work.

Thanks.

Global Posts
    3,699 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS7.1b5

Your IT department could be using an MDM solution. Look for a profile under settings.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    32,772 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5.1.1

Could it be possible they are working with the carrier also, since some of these blocks only seem to be in place while connected via cellular. FTR since they are footing the bill it IS fair that they somewhat limit what you can access. We have firewalls on our office PC (you probably do also) that do the same thing, at work they want you to work!
    iMore Pro

If you connect to your corporate mail via an exchange server configuration, they can force certain restrictions through that mechanism as well.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

Thank you all. We do ccess email through an exchanger server, so it's either that or Verizon doing it. The "website blocked" screen is exactly like the one that appears on our desktop PC's. There are no profiles in settings, that is why I was curious..also on our corporate blackberries, they push profiles, such as requiring a password, but they have not on our iProducts...so that also peaked my curiosity as to how they block websites and apps over cellular connections. Also just checked EBay (normally blocked on network PC's and iPad on cellular) and I can access it on home wifi...so they must be controlling such through Verizon.

Again, thanks so much.
    Last edited by Tdosthp; 06-12-2012 at 06:42 PM.

Global Posts
    11,437 Global Posts
    iOS Version

It's possible there's a hidden network setting diverting your iPad's web surfing through a corporate proxy server.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iMore Guru

iOS Version

Might be a VPN running and so they can control your DNS.

Sent from an iPhone4s with Tapatalk