Power button on/off

chrisamico2

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I was just given a WiFi iPad 2 and had it fixed up after being dropped and broken. Everything has been replaced and fixed except for the power button that had the internal ribbon torn. So basically I cannot power off/power on my iPad or put it to sleep mode without letting it screen time out. My question is, is there any app out there I can use to power it off without jailbreaking? So far the only thing I have come up with is to plug it into the computer and use a program to enter and exit recovery mode. Are there any other options available to power on/off the iPad without the power button? It seems stupid, but I am new to this and curious.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I think Jailbreak is your only option here unless you take it into Apple.

Sent from my 4G iPad using Tapatalk HD.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Maybe this is an obvious question, but if you had it repaired, why didn't you have the power button/ribbon replaced at the same time??

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Use a smart cover the magnet will but it too sleep and when it does die just plug to power it will turn on

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

chrisamico2

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Maybe this is an obvious question, but if you had it repaired, why didn't you have the power button/ribbon replaced at the same time??

Me and a friend did the repairs. Apple wanted $299 for the replacement. We did it all for less than $75. We did not know the ribbon was broken until after the fact and we did not have the knowledge to repair it.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
You can enable the AssistiveTouch feature.
It places a faint dot on you screen that can be moved around. In essence it a virtual home button. When you click it, one of the icons that appears is "Device" and if you click it you can Lock Your Device.

Settings>General>Accessibility

I used it all the time because I rather press it than the home button.
Others don't care - they feel annoying.

Good Luck

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
It places a faint dot on you screen that can be moved around. In essence it a virtual home button. When you click it, one of the icons that appears is "Device" and if you click it you can Lock Your Device.

Good Luck

Good idea! Can you still use the normal Home button while that's enabled?

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
Good idea! Can you still use the normal Home button while that's enabled?

Yes the Home button still works.
Other features:
increase/decrease volume
mute
Lock Screen
Rotate Screen
Shake
Don't know anything about the Gestures and Favorites feature.

Give it a go. You can always disable it.

Good Luck

Last edited:

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
Just a Followup Guys,
AssistiveTouch is available on both the iPhone and iPad.
I use it mostly on my iPhone.
Good Luck

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Good Luck

This is nice, but how would the OP get the iPad to power on/off? I think he/she will need to get this fixed, otherwise if the iPad turns itself off, it won't be able to power back on again with the switch being broken.

Last edited:

chrisamico2

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site

Good Luck

Works fantastic!!! Thank you!

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
This is nice, but how would the OP get the iPhone to power on/off? I think he/she will need to get this fixed, otherwise if the iPhone turns itself off, it won't be able to power back on again with the switch being broken.

Perhaps I'm confusing power off with lock screen. I never power down.
So yes you're right.
Sorry for the confusion if any.
Good Luck

chrisamico2

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps I'm confusing power off with lock screen. I never power down.
So yes you're right.
Sorry for the confusion if any.
Good Luck

I continued a google search for just the same question. What I found out is, if you go to the assistive device, and choose device, and hold down on the lock screen option, then it takes you to the "slide to power down" screen. Now, to turn it on, just need to simply plug it into a power supply or the computer to reboot it. Pretty sweet work around a broken power button if you ask me. =)

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I continued a google search for just the same question. What I found out is, if you go to the assistive device, and choose device, and hold down on the lock screen option, then it takes you to the "slide to power down" screen. Now, to turn it on, just need to simply plug it into a power supply or the computer to reboot it. Pretty sweet work around a broken power button if you ask me. =)

That is a good work around, as well as a cheaper solution to your problem for now.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site

Great find chrisamico.
Also, on the iPhone, holding down the Home icon will start Siri
Good Luck

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
BTW: as I mentioned above somewhere, many find this floating icon annoying. I suggested it to all of my family members and none of them liked it.

For me, it has changed the way I use the device.

Good Luck

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner