Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

1 Posts
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts

Default iPad 2 WiFi connectivity

Greetings. Long time lurker, first time/new poster. So, forgive me if this is a topic that has been discussed at length before.

I have 2 iPad 2's (WiFi only model) that are running 5.1. When I got them in late November (early Xmas gifts to myself & my wife) the WiFi on mine was great, never had any problems, used it at home and work all the time. My wife's would connect then drop, connect then drop over and over. Eventually hers settled down and stayed connected without incident for the most part.

Recently, however, both iPad's have the same problem of not staying connected. Mine won't stay connected for more than 2 or 3 minutes at most, the wife's is pretty much the same way. But, when I take mine to work and use it at lunch it connects to the wifi there and has zero issue.

Any suggestions? I have rebooted my router numerous times and made sure the firmware is the most current available (I'm using a Linksys WRT120N) and nothing seems to work. ANY suggestions you might be able to throw my way would greatly appreciated as I'm tired of having to keep my device in it's sleeve inside my messenger bag all the time because it's pointless to use unless I'm at work or somewhere with free WiFi like a Starbucks.

Thanks (and, please, my computer knowledge is very basic...so if you feel inclined to throw out a bunch of indepth terms about router suggestions apply the K.I.S.S. method so I don't have to ask you 50 follow up questions hahahaa)
    Q&A Jedi

3,344 Posts
    Global Posts
    38,327 Global Posts

It IS possible for wifi routers to become flaky over time. How old is the router? If it's more than 2 years old then you might want to consider replacing it. Also some routers work better with different devices. Especially if you decide to replace the router, you should do some google research and try to find out which routers work best for the iPad 2.

It appears it could be a 5.1 issue also, see this thread....

Last edited by pkcable; 04-23-2012 at 02:16 PM.

First of all, disable any file sharing on your Wi-Fi network and then disable any wireless encryption. Now connect to your wireless network via your iPhone and iPad and see if it connects for longer than the 3 minutes you referenced in your original post. If it does, re-enable encryption but change the encryption type. For instance: change it from AES+TKIP to just AES or just TKIP and instead of wireless B, G & N, use G only or N only. If, however, your devices do not stay connected longer than the referenced timeframe then try changing the wireless channel from 11 to 6 and see if that helps.

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 04-29-2012 at 07:24 AM.
    pkcable likes this.
    iPhone Nanite

6 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,620 Global Posts

I have a similar issue.
    iPad 2 looses wifi connection here and there, but never have the issue on my iPad 3

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD