Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 75
Like Tree10Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Wildo6882's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    560 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,155 Global Posts

    Default How Many iPad Users Have An Android Phone?

    I want to preface this by saying that I'm one of the few that completely loves both iOS and Android, and if my wife would let me (and if it was easier to swap phones on VZW) I would have an Android phone and an iPhone all the time and pick and choose depending on my mood of the day.

    Preface #2: I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, an iPhone 4S, a Kindle Fire, and I have an iPad 2 that I got rather cheap in a trade deal. I'm having a great deal of difficulty deciding which ones to keep. I know most of you here would say sell the Nexus and the Fire. But, right now I'm looking at keeping the Nexus, the Fire, and the iPad, and selling the 4S. I love the Nexus and the 4S (and I think that if you're in the market for a new phone and don't pick a Nexus or a 4S, you're on drugs), but I'm not sure I want to give up 4G capability and the tether app that lets me tether the iPad and Fire to my Nexus. Plus, pure ICS is a HUGE step in the right direction for Android. When explaining it to people, I say it's the Android iPhone. The Fire is great for its portability and I love reading books on it. And as most of you know, the iPad is the best overall tablet in the game. But it really is an insanely tough decision.

    Anyway, on to my question (s):

    How many of you out there have an Android phone as your daily phone and have an iPad that you use frequently?

    I'm also wanting to know if you think life would be easier with an iPhone and an iPad or if the two different ecosystems work for you?

    Or do you wish you stuck with an Android phone and an Android tablet?

    Just really any and all opinions and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!
  2. #2  
    dalvik's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    77 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,215 Global Posts

    Default

    i just posted my comment about this in another thread, so i wont repeat evrything i said there. but i'm one of those people who productively and proactively use an android phone and an ipad 2. i have a Galaxy S II Skyrocket and this is a fantastic device i love it just as much as i love my ipad and i find myself using ipad perhaps a bit more when I'm at home due to its large screen. I've tried many android tablets (last one was Asus TF Prime ) and returned them or sold on ebay. they all lag (at least in my experience) and have other issues like hardware for example... anyway to answer your question...
    I feel that my life is pretty much easier with having an android phone and an ipad. eventhough with these devices belonging to two different ecosystems i get things done the most efficient way i need. otherwords I take the best from android and iOS. i'm not a fan of any company or operating system I find and i like to use best and stick with it untill something better comes up. android tablets at this moment leave a lot to be desired while ipad is really polished and just simple and efficient. oh and i showed ibooks 2 with few textbook samples to my wife today we both loved it..
    Last edited by dalvik; 01-19-2012 at 04:33 PM.
    Thanked by:
    Wildo6882 (01-19-2012)
  3. #3  
    verwon's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    668 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,312 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0

    Default

    I did, when I first bought my iPad 2 back in July, I was still using the HTC Evo 4G, but I wasn't happy with it. No syncing between devices made it a pain for me.


    Sent from my iOS ecosystem!
    Thanked by:
    Wildo6882 (01-19-2012)
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    Wildo6882's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    560 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,155 Global Posts

    Default

    Thanks for the responses so far! Keep em coming!
  5. #5  
    END
    END is offline
    END's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    153 Posts
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts

    Default

    We have both Android and Apple devices; (also a webOS device). I like to keep all options open, and not be tied to one company. Too many flavours out there, don't want to eat just vanilla.

    There are things we like about Android and things we like about Apple. I do wish that in the tablet realm there would be a bit more competiton, for that would benefit us all. I hope that Google with the pending Motorola purchase considers getting into the hardware business and create a halo line of goods. One where the customer can depend on timely updates, and great hardware.

    Perhaps a good way to sum up my feelings would be, buy what you like and feel meets your needs.

    Thanked by:
    Wildo6882 (01-20-2012)
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    Wildo6882's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    560 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,155 Global Posts

    Default

    Thanks for the response! I feel the same way that there are too many flavors out there to eat just one. I like many things that Android and iOS have to offer, so I don't want to confine myself to just one of them.

    I, too, wish there was more competition in the tablet game. iPad is #1 by a long shot, and some competition would only make things better for the consumer.

    I'm still trying to decide which route to go, but thanks so far for the responses!
  7. #7  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    22,229 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,462 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    I did, when I first bought my iPad 2 back in July, I was still using the HTC Evo 4G, but I wasn't happy with it. No syncing between devices made it a pain for me.


    Sent from my iOS ecosystem!
    Same here, but the syncing was a nonissue for me because at the time, my google account was my primary account and email, calendar, contacts and notes were easily synced between my devices and as for sharing documents and photos between the devices, I simply used my DropBox.
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 01-20-2012 at 10:29 AM.
    Thanked by:
    Wildo6882 (01-20-2012)
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    Wildo6882's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    560 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,155 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    Same here, but the syncing was a nonissue for me because at the time, my google account was my primary account and email, calendar, contacts and notes were easily synced between my devices and as for sharing documents and photos between the devices, I simply used my DropBox.
    Yeah, with things like Dropbox and Box, the syncing isn't really a problem. Plus with Google Music now, I can buy songs on iTunes that get automatically uploaded to my Google Music account, and if I buy a song on Google Music, it'll sync to my iTunes, as well.

    One other big key is the $10 tether app that I have on my Nexus. If there was something like that for iPhone (without JBing) I'd be all over it. I know there is iTether, but it's only for JBed devices, and it was in the App Store for a brief minute, but I can't hold out hope that it'll be back. And I don't want to abuse it the free tethering (especially since VZW might throttle me), but it's a nice option to have around.
  9. #9  
    TheUI's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts

    Default

    Hi all, this is my first post on iMore and I hope with time I learn enough about iOS to help others along and become a more effective user myself.

    How did I get here? Well, first there was Blackberry, but who has time for that...

    It all started with an HTC G1 and then...a Moto Droid, Droid Incredible, Samsung Fascinate, HTC HD7 (WP7), Samsung Galaxy S (import), Samsung Epic 4G, HTC EVO 4G, Dell Venue Pro (WP7), Motorola Photon 4G, Epic Touch 4G, HTC Arrive (WP7), Motorola Xoom, B&N Nook Color, Asus Transformer, Viewsonic G-Tab, Samsung 10.1 and a Samsung 7.7. :o

    Then for Christmas, my fiance drops a 16 GB White iPad 2 on me. Love it. Bar none, no contest, easily the best and most versitle tablet out there. The way I feel about it now is "iPad or don't bother." Otherwise I'll take the cash and put it towards a smashing laptop, because those "other guys," tablets don't have the software to make them very valuable.

    A month later I'm daily driving my EVO 4G because I'm a tweaker and it has massive amounts of dev support, but decide to swing by Sprint and grab a 16GB White 4s. Love it as well. Apple needs to drop a 4inch retina HD this fall, but I love this phone.

    The advantage to me, a busy guy, is, all the components are made to fit together so I dont have to spend a lot of time reviewing solutions and whether the ones I choose could be malignant or not. Everything kind of puts itself together behind the scenes in iOS and if for nothing more than the time that saves me, I find myself grabbing my iPhone when ducking out.

    Just my .$.02.
    Last edited by TheUI; 01-21-2012 at 06:52 AM.
    Thanked by:
    Wildo6882 (01-21-2012)
  10. #10  
    bujin's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    62 Posts
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts

    Default

    I was using a Nexus S when I got my iPad from work. Syncing wasn't really an issue, with Evernote and Dropbox, but I fell in love with the OS and switched to an iPhone. Now I find myself using Notes and Reminders in place of some of my Evernote use and find it easier to manage.
    Thanked by:
    Wildo6882 (01-21-2012)
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    Wildo6882's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    560 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,155 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I was using a Nexus S when I got my iPad from work. Syncing wasn't really an issue, with Evernote and Dropbox, but I fell in love with the OS and switched to an iPhone. Now I find myself using Notes and Reminders in place of some of my Evernote use and find it easier to manage.
    Thanks. See, I already know I love iOS, I just also know I love Android. I'm sure it would be much easier if I used only iOS, I'm just having an issue deciding if I want to limit myself to one platform. Vanilla ICS on my Nexus does seem to be lightyears ahead of Gingerbread, and is also much more user friendly, IMO. It really is a tough call for me.

    Does anyone feel like their iPad is just a bigger version of their phone? That's one thing I worry about, too.

    Again, thanks for all the replies! I definitely appreciate it!
  12. #12  
    petaf's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,035 Global Posts

    Default

    Guilty!! I have an iPhone 4S, an iPad 2, a retired Nexus One (which I can't seem to give up), and now an HTC Vivid. I usually leave the house with both phones. I must say I do love tinkering around with the widgets on Android, plus love the big screen on the Vivid. Is the iPhone a miniature iPad with a phone built in? Probably.
  13. #13  
    bujin's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    62 Posts
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildo6882 View Post
    Thanks. See, I already know I love iOS, I just also know I love Android. I'm sure it would be much easier if I used only iOS, I'm just having an issue deciding if I want to limit myself to one platform. Vanilla ICS on my Nexus does seem to be lightyears ahead of Gingerbread, and is also much more user friendly, IMO. It really is a tough call for me.

    Does anyone feel like their iPad is just a bigger version of their phone? That's one thing I worry about, too.

    Again, thanks for all the replies! I definitely appreciate it!
    I don't find the iPad merely a bigger iPhone, simply because so many apps are iPad specific. So to me it feels like they complement, not duplicate, each other.
    Thanked by:
    TheUI (01-21-2012)
  14. #14  
    c_hack's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    90 Posts
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts

    Default

    I have an iPad, Android tablet, Droid X2, and iPhone 4s. After 2 years of using Droids I gave up. Android is simply too unstable and unfriendly for everyday use. I can't count the number of times my Droid locked up when I wanted to make a phone call. The turn by turn gps is great but not easy to use and not stable either. The Android cameras just pale compared to the 4s. So, I have a Droid X2 but it sits in the closet.

    Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk
  15. #15  
    verwon's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    668 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,312 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    Same here, but the syncing was a nonissue for me because at the time, my google account was my primary account and email, calendar, contacts and notes were easily synced between my devices and as for sharing documents and photos between the devices, I simply used my DropBox.
    There are some medical apps I need to sync with both.


    Sent from my iOS ecosystem!
  16. #16  
    ladyc0524's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    517 Posts
    Global Posts
    982 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildo6882 View Post
    Thanks. See, I already know I love iOS, I just also know I love Android. I'm sure it would be much easier if I used only iOS, I'm just having an issue deciding if I want to limit myself to one platform. Vanilla ICS on my Nexus does seem to be lightyears ahead of Gingerbread, and is also much more user friendly, IMO. It really is a tough call for me.

    Does anyone feel like their iPad is just a bigger version of their phone? That's one thing I worry about, too.

    Again, thanks for all the replies! I definitely appreciate it!
    I feel the exact same way you do..I love both android and iOS, which is why I sold my iPhone 4 and got the Epic Touch 4G..I love my iPad, but also love android..if the next iPhone has a bigger screen, then I may consider going back
  17. #17  
    tonystewart's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

    Default

    I do
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus & an Ipad2
  18. Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  
    Wildo6882's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    560 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,155 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonystewart View Post
    I do
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus & an Ipad2
    What do you think about using the two different platforms? Right now I'm using the same setup.
  19. #19  
    emirozmen's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    156 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,036 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default

    Thought a lot about the Galaxy Nexus. But no, Android is not for me.
    I own a BB Bold 9900 at the moment and wil move to iPhone in near future.
  20. Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  
    Wildo6882's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    560 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,155 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by emirozmen View Post
    Thought a lot about the Galaxy Nexus. But no, Android is not for me.
    I own a BB Bold 9900 at the moment and wil move to iPhone in near future.
    Yeah, my issue is that I really like both Android and iOS and I can't decide if I want to use both or stick to one for easier syncing between products.
  21. #21  
    area52's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts

    Default

    I've been using android since the og Droid days. I could never give up this os. All devices will have some short comings. What keeps me on android is the limitless possibilities when it comes to customizing the device.
    That being said I now have an ipad2 and love that as well. For a tablet the iOS is great but if it came down to one or the other I would grab my galaxy nexus.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  22. #22  
    AJErvin12's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts

    Default

    I have an iPad 2 that I have had since launch and recently made the switch from BlackBerry to an Android Galaxy S II (AT&T) which I absolutely love. I've had the phone for about three months. The reason I have made these choices are fairly simple at least for me. After careful consideration I realized the iPad is simply unmatched as it relates to being integrated into our lives. When you look at schools, medical, and so on the iPad has continued to prove to be the best device for helping make our lives better. I've even considered getting one for my girls after the recent announcement of textbooks on the iPad. However, the overwhelming dominance of the iPad in the tablet market and the aforementioned integration is the only reason I own an Apple device. Having an Android device that I love makes it possible for me to have the integration that I desire without getting an iPhone. I have no issues with syncing. I have been able to sync my email, contacts, and calendar on both devices and it absolutely works for me.
    Last edited by AJErvin12; 02-02-2012 at 10:30 PM.
  23. #23  
    dalvik's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    77 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,215 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJErvin12 View Post
    The reason I have made these choices are fairly simple at least for me. After careful consideration I realized the iPad is simply unmatched as it relates being integrated into our lives. When you look at schools, medical, and so on the iPad is has continued to prove to be the best device for helping make our lives better.
    this is exactly how I felt after trying numerous Android tablets. even the Asus TF Prime being the most advanced android tablet for today leaves a lot to be desired... so i ended up returning it and ordering another ipad for myself. i love android phones but the tablets are horrible. so i'm looking forward for an ipad 3 announcement!
  24. #24  
    ziffos's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Newest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildo6882 View Post
    I want to preface this by saying that I'm one of the few that completely loves both iOS and Android, and if my wife would let me (and if it was easier to swap phones on VZW) I would have an Android phone and an iPhone all the time and pick and choose depending on my mood of the day.

    Preface #2: I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, an iPhone 4S, a Kindle Fire, and I have an iPad 2 that I got rather cheap in a trade deal. I'm having a great deal of difficulty deciding which ones to keep. I know most of you here would say sell the Nexus and the Fire. But, right now I'm looking at keeping the Nexus, the Fire, and the iPad, and selling the 4S. I love the Nexus and the 4S (and I think that if you're in the market for a new phone and don't pick a Nexus or a 4S, you're on drugs), but I'm not sure I want to give up 4G capability and the tether app that lets me tether the iPad and Fire to my Nexus. Plus, pure ICS is a HUGE step in the right direction for Android. When explaining it to people, I say it's the Android iPhone. The Fire is great for its portability and I love reading books on it. And as most of you know, the iPad is the best overall tablet in the game. But it really is an insanely tough decision.

    Anyway, on to my question (s):

    How many of you out there have an Android phone as your daily phone and have an iPad that you use frequently?

    I'm also wanting to know if you think life would be easier with an iPhone and an iPad or if the two different ecosystems work for you?

    Or do you wish you stuck with an Android phone and an Android tablet?

    Just really any and all opinions and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!
    I have an iPad 2 (used to have an Asus Transformer) - and I love my Android phones (Google Nexus S and HTC Wildfire S)
  25. #25  
    ddthld's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0.1

    Default

    I had the same questions too! Then my family dropped a 32GB iPad 2 on me for my birthday/Christmas (they are only two weeks apart). Love the iPad and agree that it is probably the best tablet out right now. At the time I got the iPad2, I had a Sony Xperia Play and a Droid Pro. I eventually sold/traded and ended up with my wifes OG Droid and she got a nice used Droid Incredible. Christmas came and my two older kids got iPod Touches. I finally broke two weeks ago (and after much debate and many trips to VZW) and an iP4s (Black, 16GB). I think that eventually all devices in my house will be Apple, but I do like Widows, Linux, Android and WebOS, so I'll have a spare of something.

    So for all of this rambling...I did do Android and iPad2 and had no issues. I just wanted a new phone that wasn't the size of a 5 inch tablet. I do wish that Apple would do a 4 inch iPhone and 7 inchish iPad!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions