How Many iPad Users Have An Android Phone?

Sue Donym

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Hello! Newbie here. :D

I have an iPad 2 and my phone is the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2. I enjoy using various operating systems and use Android, iOS, Blackberry and Windows (hoping to be using Chrome OS shortly) on a regular basis.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I used to have a Droid X, I upgraded to an iPhone 5 this week. I've had an iPad 2 since last April, shortly after the "New iPad" (aka "iPad 3" or "Retina iPad") was released.

In late 2011, I rooted my Droid in order to control what ROM loaded apps get launched to both increase battery life and allow my preferred music application to launch when using a BT kit to start playing music. Then in Feb of 2012, the last firmware update ever for my phone reacted badly to root, and nearly bricked the phone. The root devs had by then moved on to newer phones, and I was never able to regain root.

Then, I discovered that the only application I could find to reliably sync my iTunes smart playlists to the Droid was irreparably corrupting my memory cards. So I dug my old iPod Touch out of the drawer and decided that my next phone was going to bring me back to the iPhone (I had one before, on a different carrier, my current one did not have the iPhone when I got the Droid).

I lost my job about when I qualified for a subsidized upgrade, so I've been trying to nurse my by-now increasingly unreliable (as in dropping WiFi, dropping BT, dropping from 3G to 1x, all with decent signal strength on each signal type) Droid through as the phone I wanted was the 32GB iPhone, which would cost me ~$300 plus required accessories, or close to $400. However, this past week, the Droid passed the point of unreliable vs replacement cost balance point when it a) dropped a call for no reason b) failed to capture the inbound phone number in the call log and c) failed to regain any connection until I rebooted it. And thanks to Mr Murphy, that dropped call was for a possible job.

So I now have an iPhone 5 16GB.

broadwayblues

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
Ouch, that's a harsh story. I had the Droid X and now my mom in law has it. She's not happy with it, it just doesn't have the ram to deal with apps, but she's not dropping calls or anything.

I'm trying to get the money together to buy a 5.

I'm also looking for work and feel your pain. Good luck!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I have a galaxy note, which I've had for 10 months. To be honest I'm getting fed up with android. Before that phone I had the iPhone 3G and the iPhone 4. I used to have the nexus 7 and the galaxy tab 2 10.1 they are all unstable. Rebooting, freezing, turning themselves off. When it works android is great but it is really unreliable for me at least. I'm only 10 months into a 24 month contract , but am thinking of selling my galaxy note and iPod touch and adding a few hundred to it to get the iPhone 5. I may wait until jelly bean is released and see if that improves things but I'm not hopeful as my nexus 7 was running jelly bean and I still had problems.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Ouch, that's a harsh story. I had the Droid X and now my mom in law has it. She's not happy with it, it just doesn't have the ram to deal with apps, but she's not dropping calls or anything.

The real trouble with the phone started over the Summer when it started being unable to hold onto a WiFi connection when no other WiFi device had any problems on the same network, and the phone by then was too old to be covered under the carrier's warranty. Up 'till then, I considered it the second best smartphone I've used. The first being an iPhone 3G, it's not the phone's fault that AT&T started sucking harder than a Hoover.

john_v

Apr 20, 2010
www.vinniesphotos.blogspot.com
Interesting that this thread popped back up...I've been wrestling with the exact same question. I've used several Android tablets, (not the Nexus 7 however), and I must say the iPad is, IMHO, the best tablet out there. Nothing comes close.

As of today I'm officially off contract, my tax refund was direct-deposited this morning, and I'm wrestling between the iPhone 5 and the Galaxy Note 2. I have my personal reasons for and against both devices, but only I can make that decision for me. But helpful to hear other's thoughts in this thread.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
As of today I'm officially off contract, my tax refund was direct-deposited this morning, and I'm wrestling between the iPhone 5 and the Galaxy Note 2. I have my personal reasons for and against both devices, but only I can make that decision for me. But helpful to hear other's thoughts in this thread.

You are correct, no one can make that choice but you. I've used PalmOS, iPhone, Blackberry, Android and back to iPhone, in that order. For me going back to iPhone came down to one function: Music/media management. And having one of the best phone mounted cameras doesn't hurt.

Between iPhone and Android, apps are a wash, both platforms have the apps I want. Some are better on one, some are better on the other, even from the same developer. Hardware spec wise, except for screen size or special/unique features you're comparing apples and oranges. Most Androids have a miniHDMI jack, but how many people actually use that? Fewer Androids now have a user-replaceable battery, so that's no longer a compelling reason to avoid the iPhone...

My iPhone 5 is smoother and faster than my Droid X, but then again the Droid X spec is at least two and a half years old.

If there isn't any one or two specific features that compels in one direction or the other, it comes down to personal bias. Which could be which megacorp do you trust more (or less...) with your data, Apple or Google? Or which ecosystem better fits your preference, Apple iTunes or Google Play? Or even aesthetics, which phone simply looks best to you.

The good news is, you almost cannot go wrong whichever choice you make.

john_v

Apr 20, 2010
You are correct, no one can make that choice but you. I've used PalmOS, iPhone, Blackberry, Android and back to iPhone, in that order. For me going back to iPhone came down to one function: Music/media management. And having one of the best phone mounted cameras doesn't hurt.

Sounds like we've taken similar platform paths.

If there isn't any one or two specific features that compels in one direction or the other, it comes down to personal bias. Which could be which megacorp do you trust more (or less...) with your data, Apple or Google? Or which ecosystem better fits your preference, Apple iTunes or Google Play? Or even aesthetics, which phone simply looks best to you.

To be honest, the biggest feature from Android that's keeping a pull on me is how sharing works between apps. That's probably the biggest thing I use on a day to day basis. I share a lot of different tweets to evernote for writing ideas and quotes. The way the apps "talk" to each other is pretty nice. From using my iPad2, I know sharing is available on iOS but in a much more limited fashion.

If it weren't for that one feature, for me it would be a no brainer to go with the i5.

What really started making me consider Apple again was this past summer, a co-worker dropped his iPhone and the headphone jack stopped working. He had Apple Care, scheduled an appt at the local apple store, and since I was going that direction, asked if I'd stop by and swap it out for him. I was in and out in 10 minutes with a new phone for him, I was blown away at the customer service level. (I didn't even have enough time to play with the iPads!!!)

Other positive points for the i5 is how Apple has really nailed the software upgrade process. No matter what anyone says, Android completely fails in this department. I know if I go with the i5 I'll have a phone that's going to have support for the life of the contract.

So I just have to make up my mind. :) Easier said than done. Too bad I can't afford both and just swap out depending on my mood :D

The good news is, you almost cannot go wrong whichever choice you make.

Yup.

Hopefully I can talk my wife out of waiting for bb10, and get this done this weekend.

Last edited:

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, the biggest feature from Android that's keeping a pull on me is how sharing works between apps. That's probably the biggest thing I use on a day to day basis. I share a lot of different tweets to evernote for writing ideas and quotes. The way the apps "talk" to each other is pretty nice. From using my iPad2, I know sharing is available on iOS but in a much more limited fashion.
Yes, the sharing of raw data between apps on Android is pretty good, and that is something I kinda miss. Widgets, too. Android comes stock with power toggle widgets to toggle WiFi, BT, GPS, etc. The only way to get that on iOS is to jailbreak and install either NCSettings or SBSettings. Same thing with setting "default apps". Oh well. I'll revisit jailbreaking my iPhone and iPad, both on iOS6 now, later after Evasi0n gains a few more point-releases.

What really started making me consider Apple again was this past summer, a co-worker dropped his iPhone and the headphone jack stopped working. He had Apple Care, scheduled an appt at the local apple store, and since I was going that direction, asked if I'd stop by and swap it out for him. I was in and out in 10 minutes with a new phone for him, I was blown away at the customer service level. (I didn't even have enough time to play with the iPads!!!)
Yes, Apple has nailed the "customer experience", and even went so far as to fire the VP who was given control of the stores after Jobs passed (and the resulting executive shuffle), because he was screwing with that.

What I find exceptional about the Apple Experience is that it's not limited to the corp stores. Where I live, the nearest Apple Store is an hour away, and there are two others within 20 minutes of THAT store. Presumably, Apple isn't opening one here because there is a small independent reseller that would be driven out of business (to which I say just offer him the store manager position). IAC, my brother has a MacBook that's about five or six years old now. Two or so years ago, well after the warranty expired, the palm rests cracked where the "bumper" on the lid makes contact when closed. The independent guy replaced them for free.

Other positive points for the i5 is how Apple has really nailed the software upgrade process. No matter what anyone says, Android completely fails in this department. I know if I go with the i5 I'll have a phone that's going to have support for the life of the contract.
I'd say that's a wash item. The firmware updates for my Droid X were OTA and painless. The only issue I ever had was self-induced due to having been rooted and no re-root available for the new firmware. Over all, just as easy and painless as updating the firmware on an iOS device. If you had issues, I'd say it's due to a difference of OEM and/or carrier rather than that it's an Android. Mine's a Motorola, carrier is (was, it's deactivated now) Verizon.

So I just have to make up my mind. :) Easier said than done. Too bad I can't afford both and just swap out depending on my mood :D
This may sound silly, but make a set of lists of pros and cons for each. If there isn't any overringly compelling feature on either one, then it comes down to a balance of items.

john_v

Apr 20, 2010
I'd say that's a wash item. The firmware updates for my Droid X were OTA and painless. The only issue I ever had was self-induced due to having been rooted and no re-root available for the new firmware. Over all, just as easy and painless as updating the firmware on an iOS device. If you had issues, I'd say it's due to a difference of OEM and/or carrier rather than that it's an Android. Mine's a Motorola, carrier is (was, it's deactivated now) Verizon.

I wasn't so much referring to the ease of updates as I was to the "uncertainty" of some devices ever getting an official upgrade. Played that game one too many times, getting abandoned by the OEM with only maintenance updates for Gingerbread.

But, however, that's all water under the bridge. My iPhone 5 is "on the fedex truck, out for delivery" (*gets ready to do the happy dance*)(and I convinced my wife that BlackBerry Messenger wasn't worth wasting a "new line" device on :) )

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I am an Android lover at heart, but wasn't super happy with browsing on android tablets as of last May and was very interested in retina display so I got an iPad. That led me down the trail of apple tears as I ended up with a MacBook Pro retina too and eventually an iPhone. My daily driver phone then was a Galaxy Nexus also, but I was finding it harder and harder to keep things in sync between the two ecosystems and finding apps that I actually liked that did what I wanted and were available on both platforms was difficult. I picked up an iPhone 5 since going back to an android tablet at that time wasn't even on my radar. I haven't looked back (ok I have because android truly does let the power user do more and I miss that).

I think it's totally doable to do what you are thinking, it just depends on how much integration between the two devices you are looking for. Hindsight I was being quite petty and nitpicky (it really was just note and task apps I was having a problem keeping in sync), but it gave me an opportunity to finally try an iPhone.

I love the iPad. Don't love the iPhone but am sticking with it. I would have switched back to android in a heartbeat with the nexus 4 but I'm on Verizon and I'm not willing to give up LTE and I I my want a stock android phone so there really are no other choices. I won't leave Verizon until they take my unlimited data away and while I would love to carry a vzw iPhone and a gsm nexus 4, I really don't need to do that so for now I'm rolling all apple and hoping that google again offers a Verizon nexus device. I'm ok with the updates not being as swift as other nexus devices since I root and rom anyway.

Long answer but in short, it is totally feasible to do go cross ecosystem just as long as you know you are paying for any paid apps twice and you will sometimes have issues finding apps you like that are on both platforms, which can be a problem if you are talking about keeping data in sync between the two devices. Some apps use Dropbox to store data so it works fine across platforms but others may use iCloud or aren't even available on the other platform and then you are stuck.

Square85

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I was originally an Android user as my carrier didn't have the iPhone. I had the original Blackberry Storm then the Galaxy Fascinate and finally got an iPhone 4 as a result of persuasion from my girlfriend, now my wife.

I used to be very "Anti-Apple" and had Windows PCs and no iPods. We got iPads in at work and that did it for me. I went and bought my own iPad 1. The 2 came out & gave my 1 to my wife. Then I was tired with the 2 and I took the 1 back and sold it.

Then I bought a Nexus 7 thinking I would try Android again. Within 2-3 weeks of owning the Nexus, it started having lots of issues: rebooting, very poor battery, not turning on etc.

Now I want to sell my Nexus 7 and get an iPad Mini. I'm due for an upgrade now and will be upgrading to the 5 from my 4. Between selling my old iPhone and the Nexus, I'll have most if not all of the money for an iPad Mini.

So now I went from having no Apple in my house to having 2 MacBook Pros, Mac Mini, iPad 2, 2 iPhones, and multiple iPods.

There is something to be said for OS reliability/stability and consistent software updates.

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I have an iPad mini and a Samsung galaxy note. Before that I had the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 3G. I also have an iPod touch 5th gen and a Samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I was running a Droid X for over two years, the last year in conjunction with an iPad. I had purchased the iPad after I had decided that my next phone was going to be a return to the iPhone. If I was going to stay with Android, I would have gotten an Asus, Acer or Toshiba Android tablet instead.

I prefer having the phone and tablet in the same ecosystem for a few reasons:

• App sharing: most apps within the same ecosystem do not have to be purchased for each device, one purchase is good for all devices on the account
  • Functionality compatibility: Particularly within iOS, such things as iCloud features only work iOS-to-iOS.
  • Interface functionality: staying within the same OS type, you keep the same UI concepts from phone to tablet. I lost count of how many times I was trying to do something on one device the wrong way because the UI design was different compared to the other

geezio

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Hello I have a Verizon Galaxy note 2 and an ipad 3rd gen..but would trade my note 2 anyday for an Verizon iphone 5..:p

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

anon5664829

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I have an iPad 4, for media consumption and pages syncing between my MacBook pro. BUT iOS is too limiting for my tastes on my phone which is why I have a Nexus 4.

tony bag o donuts

Oct 5, 2005
Visit site
A bit late, but I won an ipad 2 and use it at all my photo shoots.
I love it.
I also have a rooted nook tablet that I use, but even then I don't believe android tablets give me what I need, connection to a projector, the camera connection kit, the tv connection kit, etc.

However, I much prefer Android devices over the Iphone.
Things I love about the iphone: it's notifications, volume and how well it vibrates :).
Things I hate, the charging ports and having to arrange apps through itunes (quicker then doing it on device.

So android for phone, apple for tablet, windows for pc.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro