Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

I used to carry both an iPhone and Android everywhere. I love the larger screen and lte that I have on Android. Once I figured out how to resolve battery life (carry a spare) and media remote control (Sony mw600 Bluetooth), I sold the iPhone. I don't miss it because I can still use the iPad for my ios needs. My wife still prefers the iPhone.
    Last edited by sbddude; 03-06-2012 at 12:19 AM.
  2. Thread AuthorThread Author   #27  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,170 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sbddude View Post
    I used to carry both an iPhone and Android everywhere. I line the larger screen and lte that i have on Android. Once I figured out how to resolve battery life (carry a spare) and media remote control (Sony mw600 Bluetooth), I sold the iPhone. I don't miss it because I can still use the iPad for my ios needs. My wife still prefers the iPhone.
    I'm solely using an iPhone 4S now, but am strongly debating on getting an Android phone with an iPad 3. What kind of Android do you carry?
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    661 Global Posts

Got a Sony MW600, too. LOVE this and highly recommend it.

I use an iPhone 4 and an iPad 1. My house is Apple-centric: 2 Mac Minis, a MacBook, an AppleTV2, a 2tb Time Capsule, my devices, and a couple of other iPhones. All of our music, movies, TV shows and other media is hooked into iTunes. This arrangement works great for our needs. It's easy to keep all of us in sync, and it saves me a lot of time and effort as the family IT administrator.

But lately, I've been alternating between my iPhone and an LG Quantum (WP7.) In some ways, I really prefer WP7 over iOS at the mobile phone level. This hasn't been too much of a problem so far because I use the iPad and my smartphones for different functions. However, it does "feel" weird.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Palm Tungsten T > Palm Treo 650 > Palm Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Hero > Palm Pre > iPhone 4 > LG Quantum > Nokia Lumia 920 > iPhone 5S
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wildo6882 View Post
    I'm solely using an iPhone 4S now, but am strongly debating on getting an Android phone with an iPad 3. What kind of Android do you carry?
    HTC vivid. I choose it over the sgs2 due to screen resolution. I'll be considering the galaxy note once the price comes down.
    Last edited by sbddude; 03-06-2012 at 12:19 AM.
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version

i dont know who have but I dont :P
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

How about iphone 4 or 4s with ipad 1 or 2? Whats the advantages that you do have both? Syncing? Photostream? What else?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    TeaTimeAlice likes this.
    iPhone Newbie

I have one i perfer Apple products more don't hurt me guys :o
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: How Many iPad Users Have An Android Phone?

I have the 3rd gen ipad with IOS 6, (iPad 2 prior) as does my wife. Also using a Galaxy Note 2 i317. (upgraded from the Note i717, wife has s2) I really like the iPad's smoothness. It is great for simple stuff like web surfing, reading, using as a sign, email, videos etc. I thought about and played with the Asus Transformer Prime when I was upgrading. It just seems like the Android tablets are big phone platforms. The iPad seems to be much more intentionally a tablet. Android tablets just didn't seem to have native apps in the same way, or have that buttery iPad smoothness...

I love the Note 2 for every day, all day use. I have pretty much dialed my Android setup and would not be happy with an iPhone. I like the i317's size(I am 6'2", so bigish hands), configurability and power. I've mostly used custom roms in the past, but so far am happy with the stock Jelly Bean that my phone shipped with. I think that for most people that aren't geeky, IOS (iPhone included) will be easier and more intuitive (like an older person or someone not up to speed with tech). Android updates are slow to non existent for most devices that aren't popular. That's a problem since the OS has been getting much more user friendly lately (ICS and JB) and lots are stuck with GB (or worst). being somewhat of a phone geek myself, I spend a few hours with a new device setting it up the way I like and have a device far superior (in my opinion. Also, I buy the top of the line Android with latest OS's) to an iPhone. (That being said, restoring settings to a new IOS device is waaay easy and that's a good thing! I also appreciate that they have across the board roll outs of new updates.) One of the biggest things for me is how well Google maps and navigation works. (I know there is an update for IOS Google Maps, but Google is going to likely keep their OS more up to date. ie. biking and transit directions and until this month, actual navigation) I also use wifi tethering on the phone (for the iPad) all the time. Even my top of the line Note 2 i317 with the (almost) latest Android 4.1 Jelly Bean OS, quad core processor, 2GB of RAM etc. is not as buttery smoothe as an iPhone, (although it is thoroughly adequate), but for me the other strengths more than compensate for this. I also sync data files with Box, Evernote and Google Docs/Calander, etc. So, no problem there.

My dad, on the other hand has the iPhone 5 and a Nexus tablet with 4.2 JB... To each their own!
    Last edited by nspdx; 12-27-2012 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Correction
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    177 Global Posts

I'm on a galaxy nexus and just got a nexus 7 but had a chance to buy a like new ipad2 for 230 bucks. Was going to sell iPad for profit but after playing with it for 2 days I was hooked iPad is the king of tablets the apps are way better but as phones go I have played with iPhone 5 but its just to plane of a phone to go back from an android my next phone will be a note 2 when the price gos down.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    467 Global Posts

Default How Many iPad Users Have An Android Phone?

I have a galaxy nexus and I just got a ipad2 for Xmas. I love both

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    iPhone Newbie

I have an iPad 2 i use everyday for general surfing at home, a galaxy note for my main phone and a Nexus i take with me for watching films on the go.
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    15,462 Global Posts

I used to have a Samsung Galaxy S3. I literally just sold it last week.
    Instagram: iamivanwilliams
    Twitter: iamivanwilliams
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts

I don't think it's easier having an iPhone and ipad. I like android on the phone and also iOS but on tablets I just like the ipad better than the other tablets. I think you can get by on different device more than fine but if you want to do something to take advantage of the ecosystem then that's where it makes sense.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    510 Global Posts

I am a big Android guy, and also have an ipad 3rd generation, and an imac 2010. I can appreciate what you are trying to do and I can appreciate someone trying to get the best of both android and ios.

What I'm planning on doing to accomplish this is to get rid of my S3 and replace it with an iphone 5, and stay close to android with my Nexus 7.

This way I will always have the latest and greatest from Apple and the same for Android.

Even the GNex was hampered by Verizon, and I can't switch networks so that's the main reason I'm ditching the S3, the completely broken update process from Google.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by broadwayblues; 01-06-2013 at 10:26 AM.
    iMore Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by jb1007 View Post
    I don't think it's easier having an iPhone and ipad. I like android on the phone and also iOS but on tablets I just like the ipad better than the other tablets. I think you can get by on different device more than fine but if you want to do something to take advantage of the ecosystem then that's where it makes sense.
    I disagree actually. There are significant advantages to being within the same ecosystem, and that's part of all of these companies' plans. iMessage, photostream, shared apps, itunes match... all that stuff and more i would miss tremendously if I went with an android device as my daily driver. And this is coming from someone who's owned every flagship android phone in the last two years. I find they're fun to play with, but when I want something dependable to just get things done on, I always go with my iOS devices.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Hello! Newbie here.

I have an iPad 2 and my phone is the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2. I enjoy using various operating systems and use Android, iOS, Blackberry and Windows (hoping to be using Chrome OS shortly) on a regular basis.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    802 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I used to have a Droid X, I upgraded to an iPhone 5 this week. I've had an iPad 2 since last April, shortly after the "New iPad" (aka "iPad 3" or "Retina iPad") was released.

In late 2011, I rooted my Droid in order to control what ROM loaded apps get launched to both increase battery life and allow my preferred music application to launch when using a BT kit to start playing music. Then in Feb of 2012, the last firmware update ever for my phone reacted badly to root, and nearly bricked the phone. The root devs had by then moved on to newer phones, and I was never able to regain root.

Then, I discovered that the only application I could find to reliably sync my iTunes smart playlists to the Droid was irreparably corrupting my memory cards. So I dug my old iPod Touch out of the drawer and decided that my next phone was going to bring me back to the iPhone (I had one before, on a different carrier, my current one did not have the iPhone when I got the Droid).

I lost my job about when I qualified for a subsidized upgrade, so I've been trying to nurse my by-now increasingly unreliable (as in dropping WiFi, dropping BT, dropping from 3G to 1x, all with decent signal strength on each signal type) Droid through as the phone I wanted was the 32GB iPhone, which would cost me ~$300 plus required accessories, or close to $400. However, this past week, the Droid passed the point of unreliable vs replacement cost balance point when it a) dropped a call for no reason b) failed to capture the inbound phone number in the call log and c) failed to regain any connection until I rebooted it. And thanks to Mr Murphy, that dropped call was for a possible job.

So I now have an iPhone 5 16GB.
    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
    Double ROT-13 encrypted for your protection
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    510 Global Posts

Ouch, that's a harsh story. I had the Droid X and now my mom in law has it. She's not happy with it, it just doesn't have the ram to deal with apps, but she's not dropping calls or anything.

I'm trying to get the money together to buy a 5.

I'm also looking for work and feel your pain. Good luck!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    Chetan Takyar (10-02-2013)
    Chetan Takyar likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,024 Global Posts

I have a galaxy note, which I've had for 10 months. To be honest I'm getting fed up with android. Before that phone I had the iPhone 3G and the iPhone 4. I used to have the nexus 7 and the galaxy tab 2 10.1 they are all unstable. Rebooting, freezing, turning themselves off. When it works android is great but it is really unreliable for me at least. I'm only 10 months into a 24 month contract , but am thinking of selling my galaxy note and iPod touch and adding a few hundred to it to get the iPhone 5. I may wait until jelly bean is released and see if that improves things but I'm not hopeful as my nexus 7 was running jelly bean and I still had problems.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    816 Global Posts

Hmm. I have a Nexus 7 and a Tab 10.1 and have never had a problem with either of them.
    Never liked Apple, love it now.

Current set up:
    3gs 32 gb white, iOS 4.3.1 JBed with redsn0w.
    2g 16gb ipod touch, iOS 4.2.1
    iPhone Newbie

ihave last year, i was sold out because it was not working like ios
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    802 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by broadwayblues View Post
    Ouch, that's a harsh story. I had the Droid X and now my mom in law has it. She's not happy with it, it just doesn't have the ram to deal with apps, but she's not dropping calls or anything.
    The real trouble with the phone started over the Summer when it started being unable to hold onto a WiFi connection when no other WiFi device had any problems on the same network, and the phone by then was too old to be covered under the carrier's warranty. Up 'till then, I considered it the second best smartphone I've used. The first being an iPhone 3G, it's not the phone's fault that AT&T started sucking harder than a Hoover.
    --
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,424 Global Posts

Interesting that this thread popped back up...I've been wrestling with the exact same question. I've used several Android tablets, (not the Nexus 7 however), and I must say the iPad is, IMHO, the best tablet out there. Nothing comes close.

As of today I'm officially off contract, my tax refund was direct-deposited this morning, and I'm wrestling between the iPhone 5 and the Galaxy Note 2. I have my personal reasons for and against both devices, but only I can make that decision for me. But helpful to hear other's thoughts in this thread.
    ----------------------------------------
    This space available for rent
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    802 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by john_v View Post
    As of today I'm officially off contract, my tax refund was direct-deposited this morning, and I'm wrestling between the iPhone 5 and the Galaxy Note 2. I have my personal reasons for and against both devices, but only I can make that decision for me. But helpful to hear other's thoughts in this thread.
    You are correct, no one can make that choice but you. I've used PalmOS, iPhone, Blackberry, Android and back to iPhone, in that order. For me going back to iPhone came down to one function: Music/media management. And having one of the best phone mounted cameras doesn't hurt.

Between iPhone and Android, apps are a wash, both platforms have the apps I want. Some are better on one, some are better on the other, even from the same developer. Hardware spec wise, except for screen size or special/unique features you're comparing apples and oranges. Most Androids have a miniHDMI jack, but how many people actually use that? Fewer Androids now have a user-replaceable battery, so that's no longer a compelling reason to avoid the iPhone...

My iPhone 5 is smoother and faster than my Droid X, but then again the Droid X spec is at least two and a half years old.

If there isn't any one or two specific features that compels in one direction or the other, it comes down to personal bias. Which could be which megacorp do you trust more (or less...) with your data, Apple or Google? Or which ecosystem better fits your preference, Apple iTunes or Google Play? Or even aesthetics, which phone simply looks best to you.

The good news is, you almost cannot go wrong whichever choice you make.
    --
    john_v and quicksilver53 like this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,424 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordol View Post
    You are correct, no one can make that choice but you. I've used PalmOS, iPhone, Blackberry, Android and back to iPhone, in that order. For me going back to iPhone came down to one function: Music/media management. And having one of the best phone mounted cameras doesn't hurt.
    Sounds like we've taken similar platform paths.

If there isn't any one or two specific features that compels in one direction or the other, it comes down to personal bias. Which could be which megacorp do you trust more (or less...) with your data, Apple or Google? Or which ecosystem better fits your preference, Apple iTunes or Google Play? Or even aesthetics, which phone simply looks best to you.
    To be honest, the biggest feature from Android that's keeping a pull on me is how sharing works between apps. That's probably the biggest thing I use on a day to day basis. I share a lot of different tweets to evernote for writing ideas and quotes. The way the apps "talk" to each other is pretty nice. From using my iPad2, I know sharing is available on iOS but in a much more limited fashion.

If it weren't for that one feature, for me it would be a no brainer to go with the i5.

What really started making me consider Apple again was this past summer, a co-worker dropped his iPhone and the headphone jack stopped working. He had Apple Care, scheduled an appt at the local apple store, and since I was going that direction, asked if I'd stop by and swap it out for him. I was in and out in 10 minutes with a new phone for him, I was blown away at the customer service level. (I didn't even have enough time to play with the iPads!!!)

Other positive points for the i5 is how Apple has really nailed the software upgrade process. No matter what anyone says, Android completely fails in this department. I know if I go with the i5 I'll have a phone that's going to have support for the life of the contract.

So I just have to make up my mind. Easier said than done. Too bad I can't afford both and just swap out depending on my mood

The good news is, you almost cannot go wrong whichever choice you make.
    Yup.

Hopefully I can talk my wife out of waiting for bb10, and get this done this weekend.
    Last edited by john_v; 02-06-2013 at 09:49 AM.
    This space available for rent
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast