Email security in wifi zones

Samhill1930

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Are there security problems in taking an ipad2 into a public wifi zone. It seems as if the ipad fetches mail all the time that it has to send out your address and password that crooks could pick up? If this is the case is there anyway to disable the function so that the email function only works in a secure zone.

Thank you.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
You could just turn off wifi, or change your email to Fetch Manually if you want to use public wifi

Kristy_Lyn

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if public wifi is "secure" however you are able to adjust your email settings under the settings tab to non push options. Therefore if you like to have push on all the time then just switch "fetch new data" off when you go into public wifi zones

"Hello my name is Kristy. I am an Appleholic"

FendrGuitPlayr

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if public wifi is "secure" however you are able to adjust your email settings under the settings tab to non push options. Therefore if you like to have push on all the time then just switch "fetch new data" off when you go into public wifi zones

"Hello my name is Kristy. I am an Appleholic"

Yes, this is what I do and it works very good....so far! ;)

Totalimmortal363

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Are there security problems in taking an ipad2 into a public wifi zone. It seems as if the ipad fetches mail all the time that it has to send out your address and password that crooks could pick up? If this is the case is there anyway to disable the function so that the email function only works in a secure zone.

Thank you.

You're not the president. Relax. Crooks could care less about what you're having for dinner or how many reward zone points you have.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
Is there an SSL option for your mail account/service? I believe most modern email services (most Exchange Servers, Gmail, etc.) utilize encryption. Not 100% sure about the Gmail as it exists on the iPhone, but I'm relatively certain it is.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
If you're connected to public WiFi, daya between you and the network is often sent in the clear and can be sniffed by bad actors. Unless you're set up for WEP (weak encryption) or WPA (better encryption), you're in the clear. Avoid doing anything you wouldn't want others to see unless you're using a SSL site or email setup.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner